Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Post Your Pearls That "Most" Others Don't Know or Do

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-29-20, 09:52 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,113 Posts

On today's ride, it struck me that there are sometimes "quirky" things we cyclists do that are a good idea (possibly) but not commonly known or done.

Here is one of mine:

After riding near glass or even shardy looking grit, I reach down with my hand and briefly brush off the front and rear tires. This loosens any sharps before they get into the tread and, I believe, reduces the risk of flat tires. The down side is you may wear out your glove or even slightly injure your hand (if you use direct skin contact) but for me it's worthwhile.

I don't ever see my friends do this. It's a habit I picked up from my cycling days in Baltimore back in the 1980's where broken glass on the streets was common.

Feel free to critique and/or post your own gems of wisdom that are not commonly known.
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-29-20, 09:53 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
^^^ I do that, too, though gingerly if I'm not wearing gloves.
Old 04-29-20, 11:57 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
COOL thread!
Old 04-29-20, 12:40 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Wrap your vest with a piece of latex tube.

Makes a smaller package, and helps to keep it from coming out of the jersey pocket.

Also useful have on hand for other lashing/emergency situations.

Likes For woodcraft:
Old 04-29-20, 01:34 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
If you get soaked while riding, often the most problematic thing is getting your shoes dry by the next day's ride.

When you get home, immediately take the insoles out of your shoes and lay them out to dry. Fill the shoes with crumpled up newspaper. Leave them sit like that while you shower and so on. Change the newspaper an hour or two later, then again before bed, and you'll likely have decently dry shoes the next morning.
Likes For goenrdoug:
Old 04-29-20, 01:37 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Keep a roll of toilet paper in your car or gear bag. You never know when you'll need it or if the Porta-Potty has any.
Old 04-29-20, 01:39 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,634 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
On today's ride, it struck me that there are sometimes "quirky" things we cyclists do that are a good idea (possibly) but not commonly known or done.

Here is one of mine:

After riding near glass or even shardy looking grit, I reach down with my hand and briefly brush off the front and rear tires. This loosens any sharps before they get into the tread and, I believe, reduces the risk of flat tires. The down side is you may wear out your glove or even slightly injure your hand (if you use direct skin contact) but for me it's worthwhile.

I don't ever see my friends do this. It's a habit I picked up from my cycling days in Baltimore back in the 1980's where broken glass on the streets was common.

Feel free to critique and/or post your own gems of wisdom that are not commonly known.
Originally Posted by WhyFi
^^^ I do that, too, though gingerly if I'm not wearing gloves.
I use my bottle.(Bidon?) ^^^^^

I cut up an old tube to length, and put Co2 cartridges in them so they don't rattle.
Old 04-29-20, 01:42 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
When I come up to a stop sign that I want to actually be completely legal at (eg: cops may be in the vicinity) I'll slow way down and stand up and lean back a bit, just as I get to the line I'll tap the brakes and bring the bike itself to a complete stop for a microinstant (that's 1 millionth of an instant for you non-imperial unit users out there) while I allow my body to continue moving forward. As I release the brakes I've already got my foot on the power part of the stroke and accelerate out of the intersection. The bike stopped, I didn't.

This is something most cyclists on this forum will know, but I'm continually surprised by how many folks I've ridden with who have no idea about gearings and differences in cassettes, cranksets, etc. They might be struggling up a climb and I ask what cassette they're using and they have no idea. It's just whatever the bike came with. No idea that there are different cassettes with different gearings, some of which may be better suited for what they're doing, but they don't know this, and don't realize that swapping a cassette is like a five-minute job with just two inexpensive tools required. They'll just take it in and pay someone else to do it, and that's if they know it's even something that can or should be done.

I guess the same could be said for the number of folks I've ridden with who have no idea that a chain can be removable, and that a removable chain is a joy to work with.

I've used my hand to swipe debris off at least the front tire too, before, but I've also gotten lacerations in my gloves doing this, and thanked my lucky stars I was wearing gloves in the first place.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 04-29-20, 01:46 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Put a pair of nitrile gloves and a couple of cotton balls in the seat bag. The gloves are great for any repair on the road so you don't get the bars/hoods all nasty from chain grease afterwards and the cotton balls are useful for finding small things on the inside of the tire that may have cut your tube but that you can't see with your eyes. You could also feel the inside of the tire with your finger, but that can lead to cuts.
Likes For himespau:
Old 04-29-20, 01:49 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts

Here is one of mine:

I just use tire savers for this, I figure the small amount of energy lost is worth the pain of booting a tire and replacing the tube (the one bike that doesn't have them, I had to do just that a couple weeks back, so it's getting the tiresavers installed soon). I had the bike at the shop a couple of weeks back and the mechanic called and asked what they wire things near the brakes were and if they were just there to make noise.
Likes For himespau:
Old 04-29-20, 01:50 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts

Here is one of mine:

Sounds like an injury or infection is down the road for you. Microscopic bits of glass can be embedded in your skin, not to mention doggy do.. Just saying. I'll take the flat and a break while I patch it.
Old 04-29-20, 02:01 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
A good way to get a sliver of glass or a piece of wire through your glove. You'd be better off stopping and brushing it off with something else.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I keep a cotton ball in my saddle bag so when I get a flat, it's a easy way to find if there's something stuck in the inside of the tire that will puncture the new tube.

I also have a expired driver's license in my saddle bag since I don't carry a wallet when I ride. That way I do have ID if needed, besides a BikeID on my ankle with emergency phone numbers.I once got stopped by a cop and harassed because i didn't have ID. (long story).
Likes For GlennR:
Old 04-29-20, 02:06 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4831 Post(s)
Liked 7,821 Times in 3,705 Posts
On cool mornings (vest temperature) where I know it will be warming up quickly, I use a plastic shopping bag layered between my base and my jersey. It gives me wind protection on my torso, but it's easier and quicker to remove than a vest, and takes up less pocket space. The bag layer also works for cool descents after a long climb.
Old 04-29-20, 02:12 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
Sounds like an injury or infection is down the road for you. Microscopic bits of glass can be embedded in your skin, not to mention doggy do.. Just saying. I'll take the flat and a break while I patch it.
Lol - yeah, you tell that guy about his risk of injury and infection. What is he thinking?! He's sure to end up in the doctor's office.

Old 04-29-20, 02:12 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

Here is one of mine:

I think it was the legendary Jobst Brandt who commented that by the time you are able to reach down and place a gloved hand onto the tire, it’s made many, many revolutions and whatever puncture is going to happen, has. Stopped doing this maybe 15 years ago, but then I cannot recall the last time I had a front flat.

My only gem is if you are out to dinner (remember going out to dinner ?) and the they give you those packaged hand wipes, as for some extra, stick in your seat bag to clean your hands after a mechanical.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 04-29-20, 02:37 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
My only gem is if you are out to dinner (remember going out to dinner ?) and the they give you those packaged hand wipes, as for some extra, stick in your seat bag to clean your hands after a mechanical.
Thanks.... I think I have just enough room for that.
Old 04-29-20, 02:42 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10893 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Hmm, I brush tires, too. Been doing it since I started around 1982.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 04-29-20, 03:01 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,883 Times in 1,645 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I think it was the legendary Jobst Brandt who commented that by the time you are able to reach down and place a gloved hand onto the tire, it’s made many, many revolutions and whatever puncture is going to happen, has. Stopped doing this maybe 15 years ago, but then I cannot recall the last time I had a front flat.
Yes, indeed. Jobst Brandt was a very smart fellow. It never occurred to me to question the received wisdom of wiping tires on the fly, learned from older riders back in 1965, until I read his comments on the topic (from this page):

Wiping tires is an old trick that riders did when they had nothing
better to do while cruising along. If you observe the ritual, it
should be apparent that it serves no practical purpose because between
the time the hazard is run over and the wheel wipe, two or more wheel
revolutions take place. Anything that's going into the tire is in by
that time although the tube may not be punctured yet.

Beyond that, my tire wiping friends had no less flats than the average
but that proves nothing because I also have friends who never find
tools or money on the road, and they get lots of flats... but that's
because the are not especially observant. Any sharp object that
enters the tire is usually in on the first contact and is definitely
in with its protruding end trimmed by the third. Puncture vine is the
most insidious offender and it takes only the first contact to penetrate.
Old 04-29-20, 03:13 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Hmm, I brush tires, too. Been doing it since I started around 1982.
If you believe the above quote, we are both fools.

I have not seen any actual evidence for or against. Just opinions.
Old 04-29-20, 03:14 PM
SethAZ 

Originally Posted by himespau
Put a pair of nitrile gloves and a couple of cotton balls in the seat bag. The gloves are great for any repair on the road so you don't get the bars/hoods all nasty from chain grease afterwards and the cotton balls are useful for finding small things on the inside of the tire that may have cut your tube but that you can't see with your eyes. You could also feel the inside of the tire with your finger, but that can lead to cuts.
I love the idea of the cotton balls. I'd never have thought of that.
Old 04-29-20, 03:20 PM
SethAZ 

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Yes, indeed. Jobst Brandt was a very smart fellow. It never occurred to me to question the received wisdom of wiping tires on the fly, learned from older riders back in 1965, until I read his comments on the topic (from this page):

"Beyond that, my tire wiping friends had no less flats than the average
but that proves nothing because I also have friends who never find
tools or money on the road, and they get lots of flats..."
I don't flat all that much, but then again I've got an entire collection of tools that I saw, stopped for, stuffed into my jersey pocket, then continued the ride. My best find to date was a really nice set of lineman's pliers. I've also got someone's hammer, a couple of screwdrivers, a hedge trimmer, and an array of various sockets and other miscellaneous tools. Who knew that being a tool spotter would also reduce flats? Having a little situational awareness definitely pays off in cycling.
Old 04-29-20, 03:23 PM
SethAZ 

Here's another one: I put my full name and some other identifying information on the lock screen of my phone*. They won't be able to unlock it, but just looking at the screen they'll know who I am if they're trying to ID me.

*this one worked for me during a military deployment once too. I had my phone in my pocket and went to take care of some business, ahem, and about 20 minutes later I got an email from someone saying they had my phone. It had fallen out of my pocket while my pocket was, uh, lower than it's usual level.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 04-29-20, 04:49 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,883 Times in 1,645 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
I don't flat all that much, but then again I've got an entire collection of tools that I saw, stopped for, stuffed into my jersey pocket, then continued the ride. My best find to date was a really nice set of lineman's pliers. I've also got someone's hammer, a couple of screwdrivers, a hedge trimmer, and an array of various sockets and other miscellaneous tools. Who knew that being a tool spotter would also reduce flats? Having a little situational awareness definitely pays off in cycling.
I've collected a high-quality tape measure, needle-nose pliers, Vice-Grips, and about two dozen forks, knives, and spoons in various stages of two-dimensionality from being run over. But the best find was on a ride on one of my track bikes: found a 15-mm combination wrench, which immediately replaced the annoying Park crank bolt tool I'd been carrying for years for unscrewing the track nuts.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 04-29-20, 05:22 PM
SethAZ 

Originally Posted by Trakhak
I've collected a high-quality tape measure, needle-nose pliers, Vice-Grips, and about two dozen forks, knives, and spoons in various stages of two-dimensionality from being run over. But the best find was on a ride on one of my track bikes: found a 15-mm combination wrench, which immediately replaced the annoying Park crank bolt tool I'd been carrying for years for unscrewing the track nuts.
Oh yeah, that reminds me, I've got a nice roadkill tape measure I found once as well. I did the Whisky 25 MTB course with a friend the same day the pros raced it, but we didn't sign up, we just rode the course a couple hours later. I found a really nice Crank Brothers combo tool that's in my saddlebag as we speak, plus a nice pair of sunglasses, and I could have had about a zillion water bottles if I'd been inclined to pick those up.

I don't always stop for a socket, though I often do. Depends on what my goals are for a ride. If I'm trying to hold a particular pace for a long time I might just blow by, but if I'm just taking it easy I'll stop and pick it up. Anything bigger than a socket though is coming home with me. I have no idea who's out there losing all these tools on the roads I ride, but with all these workmen with toolboxes strapped to the sides of their truck, I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised some of these tools pop smoke and seek out a new owner from time to time.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 04-29-20, 05:25 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts

Here is one of mine:

I do that

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.