Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Post Your Pearls That "Most" Others Don't Know or Do

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Post Your Pearls That "Most" Others Don't Know or Do

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-20, 05:35 PM
fried bake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Adding Baking soda when washing kit prevents sweat odors from accumulating over time.
Likes For fried bake:
Old 04-29-20, 05:53 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Always wear a t-shirt under your jersey, not only will you be cooler, but in the event of a crash, your shoulder will be better protected from abrasions with 2 layers.

Failed to follow my own advice today, since I was wearing a long-sleeve shirt, and it was a hot day. I now have an orange-sized abrasion on my shoulder as a result of a front wheel blowout on a sharp turn. As an aside, it's shocking how little concern motorists have for a cyclist who's covered in blood, trying to ride home after a crash.

Also, always descend in the drops, and stay in the drops, because if you go down on your side, you'll only get abrasions and you won't break your collar bone. I did follow this advice and it saved me a trip to the ER.

Edit: Also, keep an eye on your front tire pressure in the mountains, lest you unknowingly develop a slow leak, which causes your front tire to roll off and blow out in a sharp S-turn.

Last edited by Lemond1985; 04-29-20 at 09:28 PM.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 04-29-20, 09:57 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
A good way to get a sliver of glass or a piece of wire through your glove. You'd be better off stopping and brushing it off with something else.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I keep a cotton ball in my saddle bag so when I get a flat, it's a easy way to find if there's something stuck in the inside of the tire that will puncture the new tube.

I also have a expired driver's license in my saddle bag since I don't carry a wallet when I ride. That way I do have ID if needed, besides a BikeID on my ankle with emergency phone numbers.I once got stopped by a cop and harassed because i didn't have ID. (long story).

Surely you jest!
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 04-29-20, 10:40 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Chopsticks work way better than forks to eat salad.

I think most bike stuff I’ve learned here. That’s probably why I can’t manual. I can’t just read until I’ve learnt it.
Old 04-29-20, 10:58 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,682 Times in 4,077 Posts
I wipe tires on the fly with my shoes. Gotta be careful on the front tire, as a bit of inattention could lead to an unexpected stoppie.
Old 04-29-20, 11:02 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Friends, don’t let friends ride SRAM road components.
Old 04-29-20, 11:30 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

For those not averse to sacrificing a watt or two to the clean tyre gods, there's ye olde tyre wipers...

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 04-29-20, 11:48 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I've never found any tools while riding.

Friend of mine found an 810. Garmin helped him reunite it with its rightful owner.
Old 04-30-20, 12:21 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My best trick is to avoid falling down. Usually I'm pretty successful. Except for that puddle a month ago. My ribs were unhappy for a few weeks.

I think the only thing I do that's different from most roadies I know is I carry more stuff. I try not to be a touring packrat, but I do carry a few things most folks seem not to, all of which have been useful at some time (mostly for under-prepared fellow cyclists):
  • mini-pump and CO2
  • aluminized Mylar emergency blanket
  • spare quick link
  • emergency asthma/allergy meds in my saddle bag (I've shared those with friends too)
  • spare Mylar packet of Drip-Drop emergency electrolyte mix (pricey but works better than anything else I've tried, including NUUN)
  • multi-tool with chain and spoke tools (the Hero-Kit is one of the flattest complete multi-tools and only $20)
All that stuff will fit even in my dinky Lezyne Road Caddy, so it doesn't seem like I'm hauling a trailer of spares. And my small Serfas Speed Bag wedge back has room to spare besides all that junk.

I don't wipe my tires on the fly anymore. Too risky and tires are so much better now they don't seem to flat as often as ye olden dayes of the 1970s. I mostly ride cheap Continental Ultra Sport II and, on my old steel bike, Conti Grand Prix Classic skinwalls. No Gatorskins. They work fine. As other folks noted, usually if we're gonna flat it'll be immediately after rolling through glass. A friend tried to do the shoe-wipe thing a year or so ago. Ended up with yet another broken shoulder. Another reason I don't do that anymore. If I'm concerned enough I'll pull over and check the tires.

Lessee... I have an old HEPA recirculating air fan/filter that I use to dry my shoes, wallet, keys, etc., after a ride. Everything else goes on the shower curtain with a fan blowing to dry 'em quickly in case I don't have time or energy to wash that kit immediately. Prevents mildew on top of the sweat funk.

I use Tide Ultra or comparable Gain (same corporation now) to wash everything. Doesn't need any laundry additives or tricks. Give the enzymes 20-30 minutes to soak in lukewarm water and it'll get rid of any sweat funk and most stains.

And I use Palmolive dish soap with lactic acid (supposedly a good anti-bacterial) on my gloves so they're clean, dry and ready to go the next day. Takes about the same amount of time as washing my hands.

Last edited by canklecat; 04-30-20 at 12:32 AM.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 04-30-20, 12:33 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
For those not averse to sacrificing a watt or two to the clean tyre gods, there's ye olde tyre wipers...

Wow, I used those in the late 70s and early 80s. Have not seen them for years.
Old 04-30-20, 03:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
I refuse to wave. Works every time.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-30-20, 05:31 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
friends, don’t let friends ride sram road components.
h@ter
Likes For GlennR:
Old 04-30-20, 05:36 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I've learned that I'm uncomfortable and slow, riding tubed 25mm tires, and am in real danger of unavoidably crashing due to inferior rim brakes.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 04-30-20, 06:16 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
These aren't big ones, and probably most reading this thread already know, but they have significantly reduced the frequency with which I experience flats:

- At intersections, debris tends to accumulate in a triangle formed between the paths cars take when turning right and when going straight - avoid riding through this debris, when possible ride through intersections in the path that car tires follow (whether going straight, right or left).

- Avoid riding through silt built up by the side of the road after a rain, debris tends to get washed into this silt and it is a good place to pick up a bit of glass or wire that can cause a flat.

- When riding on a wide shoulder, if possible/safe stay closer to the fog line, there is less debris.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 04-30-20, 06:23 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I discovered this one yesterday:

-In areas where there are a lot of goatheads, avoid riding through clippings from freshly-mowed "lawns" and overgrown areas. I picked up a couple of immature thorns yesterday, I wasn't even expecting them so early in the year.
Old 04-30-20, 08:57 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I've never found any tools while riding.

Friend of mine found an 810. Garmin helped him reunite it with its rightful owner.
I found a Glock G19 9mm once.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 04-30-20, 09:03 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

My best find was a stripper's bag.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 04-30-20, 09:12 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
I scrub my tires after running thru questionable debris with 1/4 of a small plastic yogurt cup that's stored between my seat tube water bottle and the cage (in the front). I return it when I'm done and the lip (of the cup ) keeps it from sliding down/out of the cage. When I'm out of water on my downtube bottle I rotate them.
Old 04-30-20, 09:21 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Wow. Are you willing to sum up what you did with it? While I wouldn't mind owning a Glock, at the least I'd want to know that this wasn't a weapon of interest to the police in some crime, or if the rightful owner could be found (assuming they're legal to have it). I don't actually know what I'd do about a gun find, to be honest. I think I'd probably call the cops without touching it, let them pick it up, then put in a claim for it if it turns out to be unclaimed and not suspected of involvement in a crime.
Old 04-30-20, 09:41 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by SethAZ
Wow. Are you willing to sum up what you did with it? While I wouldn't mind owning a Glock, at the least I'd want to know that this wasn't a weapon of interest to the police in some crime, or if the rightful owner could be found (assuming they're legal to have it). I don't actually know what I'd do about a gun find, to be honest. I think I'd probably call the cops without touching it, let them pick it up, then put in a claim for it if it turns out to be unclaimed and not suspected of involvement in a crime.
I called the police, and waited for them to come pick it up. I tried to put in a claim for it, but it had been reported as stolen.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 04-30-20, 10:02 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
Yeah, I'm pretty sure a lot of movies and TV shows start with someone finding a gun or drugs, and things inevitably get hairy for the finder.

My advice: If Laurence Fishburne wants to get into a street race with you, just let him go. But if a Cinzano truck driver wants to let you draft behind him, maybe take him up on it (safely).

Seriously though, try to "unweight" yourself over bumps you see coming, and try not to brake as you go over/hit them.
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 04-30-20, 10:48 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Holy crap! We have a winner.

I found a sign at a trailhead about a lost Glock last spring.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 05-01-20 at 07:43 AM. Reason: redacted
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-30-20, 11:15 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The unweighting thing is good advice.

I've got one: when you take off your wind vest, fold it into 3ds with the collar up. When you stuff it into you pocket, leave the collar sticking out a little. Then when you need it again, you just pull it out and it unfurls right side up.
Likes For caloso:
Old 04-30-20, 11:25 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I wrap my tubes in plastic wrap with a pair of nitrile gloves
Old 04-30-20, 06:14 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by goenrdoug
If you get soaked while riding, often the most problematic thing is getting your shoes dry by the next day's ride.

When you get home, immediately take the insoles out of your shoes and lay them out to dry. Fill the shoes with crumpled up newspaper. Leave them sit like that while you shower and so on. Change the newspaper an hour or two later, then again before bed, and you'll likely have decently dry shoes the next morning.
Where can I find newspaper. LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.