Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Listening to Music via Headphones?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Listening to Music via Headphones?

Old 05-06-20, 02:35 PM
  #126  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 1,477

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '18 Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 1,183 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
Having any kind of ear phones on is a safety factor period!!!!
I wonder how the MILLIONS of people who use headphones while riding cheat death so regularly.
__________________

MattTheHat is offline  
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 05-06-20, 02:48 PM
  #127  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 1,477

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '18 Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 1,183 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Last year I was following a cyclist doing about 23mph on a MUP when the as he passed a runner, he crossed in front and they collided.The cyclist when over the bars, broke his collarbone and I learned later that he cracked 2 ribs and fractured his wrist. The runner was wearing ear buds.

Luckily I was able to stop.

MUPs are the worst, I rather deal with cars.
It doesn’t sound like the ear buds were the problem. Sounds like MUP warrior was the problem.

I saw a MUP warrior last Sunday pass me, who was waiting to safely pass two adults riding with their 4 year old daughter, pass all four of us in an area of the trail that was under construction. He was a BIG guy. Stormed by while barking “Passing left!” at well over 20 MPH. He came very, very close to literally running over the 4 year old girl, who as I anticipated moved to her left. He did the right thing and went down to avoid what would have no doubt been a horrible, possibly fatal accident for the little girl. Went down HARD.

I used to hate MUPs. Now I just slow way down and embrace the craziness.
__________________

MattTheHat is offline  
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 05-06-20, 02:56 PM
  #128  
Melvang
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: North East Iowa
Posts: 76

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 3 Posts
I refuse to listen to music while riding. During my time in the Navy, I worked on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. Situational awareness is what keeps you alive. Not really much different when riding.

If I did ever decide to listen to music, the only way would either be a Bluetooth speaker on the bars, or bone conducting headphones. I have a set for my radio at work. They aren't to bad. The only issue with them is the side burns on my heard really effect the perceived volume and speech quality. The need to for snug on the skin.
Melvang is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 02:59 PM
  #129  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 6,214

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat View Post
I wonder how the MILLIONS of people who use headphones while riding cheat death so regularly.
They are lucky, thats all there is to it.
wolfchild is offline  
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-06-20, 03:08 PM
  #130  
GlennR
Passing on your left
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 6,386

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat View Post
It doesn’t sound like the ear buds were the problem. Sounds like MUP warrior was the problem.

I saw a MUP warrior last Sunday pass me, who was waiting to safely pass two adults riding with their 4 year old daughter, pass all four of us in an area of the trail that was under construction. He was a BIG guy. Stormed by while barking “Passing left!” at well over 20 MPH. He came very, very close to literally running over the 4 year old girl, who as I anticipated moved to her left. He did the right thing and went down to avoid what would have no doubt been a horrible, possibly fatal accident for the little girl. Went down HARD.

I used to hate MUPs. Now I just slow way down and embrace the craziness.
No MUP warrior, it's a section of the Cedar Creek to Jones Beach to Tobay Beach path, It's 14 miles out and back. The stretch from Jones to Tobay is not visited from the average person and its used as a training segment. My solo average is 18mph and I often get passed.

I find most people, when you call "on your left" either move to the right or signal that they hear you. I see many runners, skaters and skateboarders with headphones that cover the ears and i'm 99.9% sure they never hear you. As to cyclists, most have wired earbuds and I see 2 wires to their head. I'll call out "on your left" and they tend to be surprised when i pass.. .like they didn't hear me.

I guess wearing one ear bud will allow you to hear. Interesting, I have a set of Bose Sport and it's the right side that's the master and connects to Bluetooth to my cell hone. The left is a slave and only connects to the right. Maybe that's to allow using the right and leaving the left off so you can hear traffic.

I'll have to go out on a day with no wind and some wind and see if i can hear traffic with just a right ear bud in.

But i still don't plan on using them when I ride.

GlennR is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 03:20 PM
  #131  
SethAZ 
Senior Member
 
SethAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,394

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat View Post
I wonder how the MILLIONS of people who use headphones while riding cheat death so regularly.
The same way that most of the millions who text on their phones while driving usually cheat death too, of course.
SethAZ is offline  
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 05-06-20, 03:47 PM
  #132  
bobwysiwyg
Senior Member
 
bobwysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 961' 42.28° N, 83.78° W (A2)
Posts: 2,316

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ View Post
The same way that most of the millions who text on their phones while driving usually cheat death too, of course.
Perhaps someone nearby their carelessness behavior isn't as lucky.
bobwysiwyg is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 03:48 PM
  #133  
SethAZ 
Senior Member
 
SethAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,394

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat View Post
It doesn’t sound like the ear buds were the problem. Sounds like MUP warrior was the problem.

I saw a MUP warrior last Sunday pass me, who was waiting to safely pass two adults riding with their 4 year old daughter, pass all four of us in an area of the trail that was under construction. He was a BIG guy. Stormed by while barking “Passing left!” at well over 20 MPH. He came very, very close to literally running over the 4 year old girl, who as I anticipated moved to her left. He did the right thing and went down to avoid what would have no doubt been a horrible, possibly fatal accident for the little girl. Went down HARD.

I used to hate MUPs. Now I just slow way down and embrace the craziness.
I know what you mean about the MUP warrior. Only one of my long routes has two MUP sections of a combined 3-4 miles, with one 2-mile or so section being the busiest, and it can be nuts, especially now with so many families either out walking together or toodling along on their bikes together.

If you've ever had or observed a dog, they can be just lying there with the ears down flat on their heads or whatever, then they hear some noise and they pick their head up and their ears stand straight up and start scanning. My daughter and I called this "alert mode," and we had one dog in particular with normally very floppy ears, and when she went into alert mode her ears would strand straight up and rotate from side to side like a radar dish. That's exactly how I feel when I encounter others on the MUP, although I haven't got the ear dexterity to pull off the radar-dish scanning. It's especially the worst with kids, since they'll be swerving around from side to side completely oblivious, and often only their parents telling them to move over gets them to clear the path so I can pass safely. No matter how fast I was going, I'll slow way down to pass groups like these, simply because of how unpredictable they can be.

I'm going to be very careful about not saying that since evolution saw fit to involve dogs' ears so fundamentally in their alert mode that we must do that as well, though I do think there are enough parallels here to be worthy of consideration. Let the "yeah but whadabout ****" counterexamples from the peanut gallery begin...
SethAZ is offline  
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 05-06-20, 03:57 PM
  #134  
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member
 
Lemond1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,340
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 470 Posts
You can thank the American Kennel Club for floppy ears, I think that's something that was selectively bred into dog breeds to make them "cuter", by way of drowning all the puppies in the litter that were born with stiff ears, and inbreeding the looser-eared ones endlessly, until they looked like freaks.
Lemond1985 is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 04:00 PM
  #135  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 1,477

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '18 Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 1,183 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ View Post
I know what you mean about the MUP warrior. Only one of my long routes has two MUP sections of a combined 3-4 miles, with one 2-mile or so section being the busiest, and it can be nuts, especially now with so many families either out walking together or toodling along on their bikes together.

If you've ever had or observed a dog, they can be just lying there with the ears down flat on their heads or whatever, then they hear some noise and they pick their head up and their ears stand straight up and start scanning. My daughter and I called this "alert mode," and we had one dog in particular with normally very floppy ears, and when she went into alert mode her ears would strand straight up and rotate from side to side like a radar dish. That's exactly how I feel when I encounter others on the MUP, although I haven't got the ear dexterity to pull off the radar-dish scanning. It's especially the worst with kids, since they'll be swerving around from side to side completely oblivious, and often only their parents telling them to move over gets them to clear the path so I can pass safely. No matter how fast I was going, I'll slow way down to pass groups like these, simply because of how unpredictable they can be.

I'm going to be very careful about not saying that since evolution saw fit to involve dogs' ears so fundamentally in their alert mode that we must do that as well, though I do think there are enough parallels here to be worthy of consideration. Let the "yeah but whadabout ****" counterexamples from the peanut gallery begin...
Oh, kids are the worst. Well, people walking dogs on those extend-a-leashes are right up there. You just never know what’s going to happen with either. I’ve literally just gotten to the point That I slow way down and wait to see if this encounter is crazier than the last one. On about a one mile section the other day there were four contenders for craziest experience. One was a lady sitting in the middle of the path on a towel. I know it’s a multi-use trail and all but I’d never thought of sitting on the concrete as a use. Another was a photo shoot for maybe a Senior picture where they’d thrown huge plastic confetti bits all over the path. Wanna guess if they cleaned up the confetti? Nope...it was there the following day all over the place...right in the middle of a curve...that would be fun at speed!
__________________

MattTheHat is offline  
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 05-06-20, 04:26 PM
  #136  
Oneder
Banned.
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 822

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
You can thank the American Kennel Club for floppy ears, I think that's something that was selectively bred into dog breeds to make them "cuter", by way of drowning all the puppies in the litter that were born with stiff ears, and inbreeding the looser-eared ones endlessly, until they looked like freaks.
Actually that happens naturally in the domestication process even for food animals.
Oneder is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 05:27 PM
  #137  
GlennR
Passing on your left
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 6,386

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat View Post
Oh, kids are the worst. Well, people walking dogs on those extend-a-leashes are right up there. You just never know what’s going to happen with either. I’ve literally just gotten to the point That I slow way down and wait to see if this encounter is crazier than the last one. On about a one mile section the other day there were four contenders for craziest experience. One was a lady sitting in the middle of the path on a towel. I know it’s a multi-use trail and all but I’d never thought of sitting on the concrete as a use. Another was a photo shoot for maybe a Senior picture where they’d thrown huge plastic confetti bits all over the path. Wanna guess if they cleaned up the confetti? Nope...it was there the following day all over the place...right in the middle of a curve...that would be fun at speed!
I have a local MUP that on a warm day is shoulder to shoulder with walkers, strollers, dogs, kids and so on. I avoid that section of the path. In fact, with huge numbers of people using the path since Covid, I rather deal with the cars on the streets.

But like i said, there's one that goes to the beach and once you get about a mile, 1st bridge, all the walkers, kids and dogs are gone. When you reach the southern most point and head east its only cyclists and there's plenty of width to pass... unless the person ahead decides to turn around without looking.

GlennR is offline  
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-06-20, 06:04 PM
  #138  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,693
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
You can thank the American Kennel Club for floppy ears, I think that's something that was selectively bred into dog breeds to make them "cuter", by way of drowning all the puppies in the litter that were born with stiff ears, and inbreeding the looser-eared ones endlessly, until they looked like freaks.
Except for bloodhounds and other scent hounds for that matter. Their long, dangling, floppy ears actually serve a purpose.

When the dog has its head down, the ears “stir up” the soil causing scents to rise and be picked up by their sensitive noses.

Amazing what you can learn by watching the Disney Channel and National Geographic.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 09:23 PM
  #139  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 1,477

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '18 Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 1,183 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I have a local MUP that on a warm day is shoulder to shoulder with walkers, strollers, dogs, kids and so on. I avoid that section of the path. In fact, with huge numbers of people using the path since Covid, I rather deal with the cars on the streets.

But like i said, there's one that goes to the beach and once you get about a mile, 1st bridge, all the walkers, kids and dogs are gone. When you reach the southern most point and head east its only cyclists and there's plenty of width to pass... unless the person ahead decides to turn around without looking.

A MUP with only cyclists would just be a dream here. Very nice!
__________________

MattTheHat is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 09:32 PM
  #140  
TJtheWrecker
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
I use airpods and half volume, I can usually hear everything around me. Am i alone here lol?
TJtheWrecker is offline  
Likes For TJtheWrecker:
Old 05-06-20, 09:48 PM
  #141  
pbass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 709

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 54 Posts
As someone who does not wear pods, etc when riding, when I'm approaching another rider who does, I do it with the same caution I would a driver who I suspect is distracted.
pbass is offline  
Likes For pbass:
Old 05-07-20, 05:56 AM
  #142  
GlennR
Passing on your left
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 6,386

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat View Post
A MUP with only cyclists would just be a dream here. Very nice!
Wait... it gets better. They're extending it for another 15 miles.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/oppath
GlennR is offline  
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-07-20, 06:14 AM
  #143  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 18,654

Bikes: Giant Propel, Gianni Motta, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, Garneau Steeple X

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7429 Post(s)
Liked 819 Times in 444 Posts
Originally Posted by TJtheWrecker View Post
I use airpods and half volume, I can usually hear everything around me. Am i alone here lol?
No, been using ear buds for years and still hear cars and everything else.
__________________
Dennis T

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I can't believe the ignorance out there. - An Anonymous Addictionite.

Trsnrtr is offline  
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 05-07-20, 08:54 PM
  #144  
Cyclist30923
Banned.
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
I never ride with earbuds. Safe cycling relies on all senses working well, especially hearing. That includes hearing cars, other cyclists, joggers and pedestrians. Earbuds zre fine if you are on a trainer.
Cyclist30923 is offline  
Likes For Cyclist30923:
Old 05-08-20, 07:48 PM
  #145  
Bigbus
Senior Member
 
Bigbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Central West Coast
Posts: 600

Bikes: In Flux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 74 Posts
An old guy asked me one day when I stopped for a cup of Joe how I could hear anything with those things in my ears. I told him, "That's the whole idea." When I'm not in the mood for music I put in earplugs when I ride to cut out the noise from the wind and cars. Do whatever you're comfortable doing, just don't try telling someone else how to live their lives! Darwinism is great. Embrace it and move on!
Bigbus is offline  
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 05-08-20, 07:56 PM
  #146  
GlennR
Passing on your left
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 6,386

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus View Post
Darwinism is great. Embrace it and move on!
https://thehill.com/changing-america...carolina-tried
GlennR is offline  
Old 05-09-20, 12:16 AM
  #147  
Camilo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,715
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Tophy_Dee View Post
Safe or unsafe? I’ve seen some other cyclists with air pods and other headphones on and though what a great idea to listen to some tunes while riding. But then I realized maybe it’s not such a good idea? Can’t hear if cyclists are coming up behind or if there’s cars or sirens. Basically can’t hear anything at all!

What are your thoughts on this and if you do listen to music, any tips to be able listen and keep safe at the same time?
Safe as long as you're a safe rider in general. Hearing incoming traffic is not impaired in any way that impacts safety, and what does it tell you except not turn into the traffic- which is stupid anyway. Common wind and general traffic noise has more impact than ear buds
Camilo is offline  
Old 05-09-20, 12:18 AM
  #148  
Camilo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,715
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
They are lucky, thats all there is to it.
Nah. They're just safe riders. Which can be very well done while listening with earbuds.
Camilo is offline  
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-09-20, 12:23 AM
  #149  
Camilo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,715
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by TJtheWrecker View Post
I use airpods and half volume, I can usually hear everything around me. Am i alone here lol?
No. The key is safe volume and not being an unsafe rider.
Camilo is offline  
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-09-20, 03:00 PM
  #150  
phughes
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,612
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 122 Posts
Don't do it. Your cantilever brakes will go out of adjustment, your helmet will disappear, and your carbon fiber bike will burst into flames.
phughes is offline  
Likes For phughes:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.