Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

So, what do you think about it?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus
View Poll Results: how do you feel about the pandemic?
I think we should all stayathome forever
14.29%
a little this way
21.43%
undecided/in the middle
14.29%
a little that way
21.43%
my behavior hasn't changed since before pandemic
28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-20, 03:23 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Where would you put yourself in the following:
Old 05-16-20, 04:06 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 243 Posts
Other than washing my hands more frequently and practising social distancing my daily life hasn't changed from what it what it was like before this pandemic. I am not going to allow mass-hysteria, fear, paranoia and misinformation which has been propagated by our social media and news media to control my life.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-16-20, 04:16 PM
shelbyfv

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 559 Posts
I am completely unqualified to have an opinion as to what we should be doing. Given that, I'll continue to do my best to follow the advice of those who are qualified.
Old 05-17-20, 08:09 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 583 Posts
How do I feel about the pandemic?

It's crushing the soul out of the American work force. Some folks may very well indeed be staying home for what will feel like forever. But, where will home be if you can't pay the rent or mortgage?
Old 05-17-20, 09:39 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 8643 Post(s)
Liked 993 Times in 684 Posts
Well, I like that the streets are nearly empty... car traffic is way down, the price of gas is down, and the skies are more clear, and the promise of telecommuting has finally been fulfilled... but I miss sitting in my favorite pub sharing pub grub with mates and solving the problems of the world over a good microbrew.

BTW... were there actual questions in the poll... it didn't make sense as I read it.
Old 05-17-20, 05:33 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 132 Posts
https://slate.com/human-interest/202...staurants.html

Maybe this can save this confused poll. A whole lot of "no" responses.

Last edited by gsteinb; 05-17-20 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-17-20, 07:01 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
I think my life and behavior have changed quite a bit here in NYC (MTA/NYCT employee,...what a biased poll this is):

Last edited by tds101; 05-17-20 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-17-20, 08:35 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 112 Posts
Wink

This coronavirus isolation isn't a bother to me - I'm a life-long bachelor, so I've been treated as "socially distant" for a few decades. SOP
Old 05-17-20, 09:09 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 477 Posts
I'm retired so not drastically except - I am fully aware that if bring this disease into the house and my housemate catches it, he will not make it. That makes this something bigger than just me.

I've been leaving the house twice a week. Saturday morning I go to a farmers market. My one social. Been shopping there most of 20 years and know a lot of the vendors. Now they are too busy to chat but it is still good to see them. While I am in clothes that are going straight to the wash when I get home and it is my mask day, I also hit up whatever other stores I need to go to. And also that week, either a bike ride or Home Depot trip. (I'm doing a full upgrade on a room.)

Far more hand washing, sanitizing around the house, far more awareness of touching my face and observing my routines than I have ever had. It's been an education. Also the observation that this is as close to a wartime home front as I will likely (and hopefully) see in this life. Different but with similarities to civilian life in Germany in the World Wars. In a week or two we will hit twice the deaths of the 6 year war of my entry into adulthood and all on US soil, not halfway across the world.. I haven't yet lost anybody I know but I expect that to happen.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 05-17-20 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Signed my name twice
Old 05-17-20, 09:37 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 17954 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf View Post
Where would you put yourself in the following:
I think we should all stayathome forever
a little this way
undecided/in the middle
a little that way
my behavior hasn't changed since before pandemic
...thankful I don't live near you.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 05-18-20, 07:01 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 2,562 Times in 1,473 Posts
None of the above.

Worst poll questions ever. No one sane is arguing for permanent restrictions, and there's no way I could lean towards either of those crazy extreme positions.

I'm not sure what "in the middle" is supposed to mean, but it sure isn't synonymous with "undecided".
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-20-20, 10:01 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 11490 Post(s)
Liked 933 Times in 725 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
None of the above.

Worst poll questions ever. No one sane is arguing for permanent restrictions, and there's no way I could lean towards either of those crazy extreme positions.

I'm not sure what "in the middle" is supposed to mean, but it sure isn't synonymous with "undecided".
I do have some acquaintances that are planning to "social distance" until a vaccine comes out.

The husband works in handicapped patient care, and has been staying home since the outbreak. He wants to return to work, but the wife is saying NO. I'm not sure how that will ultimately work out. So far no staff or patients at his facilities have gotten coronavirus.

For myself, I shop as needed. But, I do observe social distancing when I'm out and about. I did take in a housemate last September. And, he managed to get sick in late March. We've maintained moderate social distancing. He later told me that he had tried to get a coronavirus test, but was refused.

A couple of years ago I developed a chronic bronchitis. It could mask any symptoms. I felt a little off in late March, early April, but can't say if I had a flare-up of the bronchitis, or another illness.

I have visited friends, family, neighbors, but keep distance.

At some point I may need to get closer than 10 feet from Mom, and will try to get coronavirus antibody and antigen tests before breaking the social distancing.
Old 05-20-20, 11:23 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 2,562 Times in 1,473 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I do have some acquaintances that are planning to "social distance" until a vaccine comes out.

The husband works in handicapped patient care, and has been staying home since the outbreak. He wants to return to work, but the wife is saying NO. I'm not sure how that will ultimately work out. So far no staff or patients at his facilities have gotten coronavirus.

For myself, I shop as needed. But, I do observe social distancing when I'm out and about. I did take in a housemate last September. And, he managed to get sick in late March. We've maintained moderate social distancing. He later told me that he had tried to get a coronavirus test, but was refused.

A couple of years ago I developed a chronic bronchitis. It could mask any symptoms. I felt a little off in late March, early April, but can't say if I had a flare-up of the bronchitis, or another illness.

I have visited friends, family, neighbors, but keep distance.

At some point I may need to get closer than 10 feet from Mom, and will try to get coronavirus antibody and antigen tests before breaking the social distancing.

Just a reminder that the statement was :"I think we should all stayathome forever". So I've got "we should all" and "forever" as being statements that are just too plain nuts to even seriously consider, and no option that presents a reasonable description of the duration and scope of social distancing.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-20-20, 11:42 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 518 Times in 292 Posts
6. Good time to get into some cool "Isolation" music.