Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Jamis Coda vs Trek FX Series

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 05-29-12, 04:15 PM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

I was reading Zenmaster's thread about shopping for a flat-bar roadbike/performance hybrid and I got to wondering about the differences or similarities between the Coda's and the FX series. In the interest of not hijacking his thread, I thought I would pose the question here.

First, a little background about my experience. In 1995 I bought a Trek 730 Multitrack and rode it up till 2007 when I gave it to my dad and bought a Trek FX 7.2. I rode the 7.2 sporadically until December of last year when I bought another 1995 730 Multitrack. I'm currently riding both and trying to figure out where to go, bicycle wise, in the coming year.

I'm a big fan of cro-moly steel and my 1995 Multitrack has better components and is lighter than my 2007 FX. However, the FX is livelier, both in handling and in acceleration. I know geometry has an impact on the handling and I'm not sure about the acceleration issue. I'm guessing it's because of the aluminum or maybe the more modern cranks.

The Multitrack has a Trail measurement in the 70's while the FX has a trail measurement in the 60's. The Multitrack has the shorter chainstays. Head tube and seat tube angles are very close or the same and distance from seat to handlebar is about 1 cm difference, with the FX being longer.

At this point, I'm not sure which ride I like best. I'm thinking about upgrading one of these bikes in about a year or just buying a new one outright. What I'm really wondering is if the handling of the Jamis Coda's is similar to the FX series or is more aggressive (or less?). I'm leaning slightly toward the FX's handling but I really like steel and maybe the Coda is my best bet.

Anyone have experience with both the FX and Coda who can comment on their comparative handling characteristics?
Old 05-31-12, 10:51 AM
batcat

Bikes: Jamis Yoda Sport (2011 model) ; Stinsmen Veloce (on a wind trainer)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey! Where are all of the Jamis/men-of-steel champions out there? I'm not a good bike tester: subtle differences are lost on me. I was waiting for someone else to speak out--maybe this will bring the "Steel is Real" crowd out of the woodwork.

I ride a 2011 Jamis Coda Sport--steel frame and carbon fiber fork. Previously had a Trek FX 7.3. Both are good bikes! I didn't really have the epiphany that I expected moving from aluminum to a steel frame/carbon fork.

There, now I said it! But, like I said, different riding characteristics have to be pretty obvious for me to feel them. I noticed much more difference test riding an FX 7.2 and 7.3--the .2 felt like it was dampened down in handling.

That said, I will guess that the Jamis would be quicker handling than the Multitrack. If you like cro-moly, go with the Jamis; you won't regret it. Trek is fine, as well. You will be the person riding this bike--none of us in this forum will ever spend any time on that particular saddle. Take your time getting a good fit/correct frame size. Jamis and Trek seem to be slightly different in geometry (a 17" Jamis is not quite the same as a 17" Trek).

Research! Shop! Test ride! Evaluate! Buy! Ride!
Old 05-31-12, 11:39 AM
corwin1968

Thanks for responding! I just found out we are going to be near a Jamis dealer in the next couple of weeks so hopefully they have a Coda I can try out!
Old 05-31-12, 04:14 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2014 Terra Trike Traveler with E-assist Trike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I don't have experience with the Trek FX series but I do have a bit with the "alum vrs steel". I have a 2012 Jamis Coda Sport and a 2011 Jamis Allegro 1, the Coda is steel the Allegro is alum. My best example of "ride" is that the "steel Coda" rides like a " Cadillac Sedan Deville", SMOOTH and nothing seems to disturb the ride except really sharp edge bumps. The Allegro is "like a Corvette", it's quicker, very lively feeling, makes you want to ride faster, but it's not anywhere as smooth in it's ride, next to the Coda it's a bit twitchy feeling, but it's a lot of FUN to ride. I have the Coda for my utility/every day bike, I like to use it for SOCIAL rides with the club, if it's a training ride, then I'd use the Allegro. Hope this helps.
Old 05-31-12, 04:40 PM
corwin1968

Originally Posted by bjjoondo View Post
I don't have experience with the Trek FX series but I do have a bit with the "alum vrs steel". I have a 2012 Jamis Coda Sport and a 2011 Jamis Allegro 1, the Coda is steel the Allegro is alum. My best example of "ride" is that the "steel Coda" rides like a " Cadillac Sedan Deville", SMOOTH and nothing seems to disturb the ride except really sharp edge bumps. The Allegro is "like a Corvette", it's quicker, very lively feeling, makes you want to ride faster, but it's not anywhere as smooth in it's ride, next to the Coda it's a bit twitchy feeling, but it's a lot of FUN to ride. I have the Coda for my utility/every day bike, I like to use it for SOCIAL rides with the club, if it's a training ride, then I'd use the Allegro. Hope this helps.
Actually, that does help. I have experienced pretty much the same thing with my two bikes so that supports the idea that maybe aluminum might be a major factor I need to consider. I've been set on steel but I can reevaluate as I get more information and experience.