Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Comfortable seat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-17, 09:17 AM
morgothaod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Comfortable saddle?

The size and shape of my saddle are okay but it feels like I'm sitting on a rock sometimes. What saddle do you find to be comfortable? I have a Mountain bike and I just ride on paved trails.

Last edited by morgothaod; 03-29-17 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-29-17, 09:25 AM
rickyk76

Bikes: Cannondale Slate; Crust Evasion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best thing I got for my mtb was my Brooks Swift saddle. I'm no racer, speed demon, downhiller, etc., so the added weight doesn't bother me. It's so comfortable though.
Old 03-29-17, 09:30 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Incredibly personal to each rider. One of my favorites is a 20 year old stock saddle that came on a cheap MTB, which is sadly being retired due to wear. Another of my favorites is the vintage Avocet Touring.
Old 03-29-17, 09:33 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Cue the "it's not a seat, it's a saddle" comments.
Old 03-29-17, 10:17 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Call it whatever you like, but saddles are incredibly personal. You are just going to have to try them.
Old 03-29-17, 10:17 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
One of my favorites is a 20 year old stock saddle that came on a cheap MTB, which is sadly being retired due to wear.
Reskinning a saddle is no big deal. My favorite saddle is on its 3rd. I've posted some pics of the process years ago.
Old 03-29-17, 10:26 AM
Tombaatar

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Sequoia, 99 Gary Fisher Aquila, 88 Diamondback Apex, 89 Trek 400, 85 Specialized Rock Hopper, 86 Peugeot Triathlon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I bought this to commute and not have to wear padded shorts.

Scientia | Selle Royal

I like it. very comfortable but still firm enough to not kill lower back.
Old 03-29-17, 10:35 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 253 Posts
As far as a chair (friendly sarcasm) for my mountain bike I prefer a WTB Volt. As has been stated though, saddles are a unique component for bikes and what works for one person may not work for another. It's best to try them in the local shop if you can.
Old 03-29-17, 10:37 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Reskinning a saddle is no big deal. My favorite saddle is on its 3rd. I've posted some pics of the process years ago.
Not to hijack this thread, but would you happen to remember that thread? A google search of "dabac reskin saddle" on here doesn't turn up anything but you talking about having done it in the past
Old 03-29-17, 10:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Whats comfortable for me may not be comfortable for you..

There are Thousands of different saddles made ..

Maybe you want a Jello soft Gel padded saddle. (or a Gel padded Saddle Cover )

I don't like them, but you might.

Old 03-29-17, 10:59 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Not to hijack this thread, but would you happen to remember that thread? A google search of "dabac reskin saddle" on here doesn't turn up anything but you talking about having done it in the past
Found the pics easier on "my" native site: https://happyride.se/forum/read.php/...797#msg-785797
Basically, I got an old leather jacket as a donor. Soaked a piece in warm water. Pre-stretched/trial fitted a few times. Used high-adhesive hot glue on the under side of the saddle pan to hold the folded-over leather in place.
No glue on the padding.
Has worked like a treat.
Old 03-29-17, 11:06 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I use E3 Form, now marketed as Kontact. Love those saddles so much that I bought, I think, 3 or 4 on Ebay and at bike swaps when E3 quit making them (and before Kontact started).

But like others said, recommendations are about as close to worthless as you can be because my favorite has about 0 correlation to what you will like.

It also has a lot to do with your riding style and sex. Men have narrower sit bones than women and therefore women tend to like a little wider saddle. A more upright rider would tend to like a wider saddle than one that leans more forward because of the way the sit bones narrow as you rotate forward on them. A more upright, slower rider would also tend to like more padding because the more aggressively and harder you pedal, the more weight is on the feet/pedals and less on the butt so you need less padding. Sometimes more padding is actually more uncomfortable than harder because your sit bones sink into it a little which puts pressure on other soft parts of the butt and perineum. Your sit bones are actually the least painful place to put the weight in most cases.

All you can do is try to figure out what you don't like about your saddle, and make some educated guesses of others to try - and see what works. You can sometimes find boxes of "take off" saddles for very cheap at bike shops, but bike swaps and similar usually have a table full of cheap saddles people are getting rid of for exactly the same reason you have.

The last thing I'll say is - everybody has a budget. But if you figure out what saddle suits you well, don't be afraid to spend some money on it. It can make a huge difference in how much you enjoy the bike. More important than spending money on a fancy helmet for the average rider, imho.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-29-17 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-29-17, 11:14 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
If you are new to riding, you need to give your butt some time to toughen up. If not, then you need to try different seats to find what hits your sit bones the best. Find a shop that will let you try out different saddles.
Old 03-29-17, 01:14 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I use E3 Form, now marketed as Kontact. Love those saddles so much that I bought, I think, 3 or 4 on Ebay and at bike swaps when E3 quit making them (and before Kontact started).

^ I rode this saddle for two years. Absolutely fabulous. Exquisite.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 03-29-17, 01:20 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Cue the "it's not a seat, it's a saddle" comments.

I realize this is just a cheek and tongue comment so this is not directed at you. But it's such a moronic argument people make out of it.

If it were such a big deal, then seat posts would be called "saddle posts". Get over it people!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.JPG (87.6 KB, 282 views)
Old 03-29-17, 01:22 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually use an MTB seat on my roadie. WTB rocket V ti model.

I also use a Terry Fly ti model that I find comfortable.
Old 03-29-17, 02:20 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Tombaatar

Scientia | Selle Royal

A couple that I ride with both have a Selle Royal saddle. Looks very comfortable and they both love them. He also loves the cheap Nishiki at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Originally Posted by ClydeTim
I actually use an MTB seat on my roadie. WTB rocket V ti model.

I also use a Terry Fly ti model that I find comfortable.
I have the WTB Pure V but I ride a Giant Escape. I certainly like it. I do wear shorts for all day excursions but ride 3-4 hours without shorts just fine.
Old 03-29-17, 02:29 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers
I have the WTB Pure V but I ride a Giant Escape. I certainly like it. I do wear shorts for all day excursions but ride 3-4 hours without shorts just fine.

I was hesitant to try an MTB saddle on my roadie at first. Once I tried the WTB Rocket V ti model, I was impressed but it was $110.

Not long ago, just because the design was similar, I bought a Rocket V cromo for about $40. I placed it on my tandem and it's been a pretty decent saddle. I bought a second and placed it on my second roadie and doing most of my miles on it. Good saddle for a good price. Working better than the new Terry Fly I bought about a month before the newest WTB's. I took the $100 Terry Fly off and went with the WTB, more comfortable on longer rides (40-60 milers).
Old 03-29-17, 02:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cost Conscious? Bike Shops have 'Take Offs' New, but removed during new bike sales.

Buyer wanted different.. so less than if the same saddle had a display tag.

and they will likely swap them , to ride a variety of shapes for a day or 2.

Old 03-29-17, 03:27 PM
tornado60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
If you are new to riding, you need to give your butt some time to toughen up. If not, then you need to try different seats to find what hits your sit bones the best. Find a shop that will let you try out different saddles.
I'll add that if you are off the bike too long your butt may need a little time to toughen back up too. Somebody once told me to sit on something hard. The area of your but that makes contact with the hard surface (and probably hurts) is the part your saddle needs to support. That logic has been a help for me.
Old 03-29-17, 04:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
That Velo saddle should be reasonably comfortable. Try adjusting the nose upward a bit to be sure your buttbones slide back over the padding after jostling from normal road vibrations and bumps.

Adjusting the saddle on the rails forward or backward a bit can help too. But pay attention to the knees -- sometimes too much forward/backward adjustment can cause knee strain.

And be sure the seatpost height is appropriate for your leg length and foot length. The usual rule of thumb is to fully extend the pedal and place the heel over the pedal axle -- that's a good starting point for estimating saddle height. But the optimal position depends on your foot length and whether you prefer the ball of your foot over the pedal axle, or another position. Looks like you have toe clips on your pedal so that can affect the appropriate saddle height. For the past couple of years I've skipped toe clips and prefer fairly large platform pedals so I can shift my foot position around to suit myself on longer rides, for climbing hills, etc.
Old 03-29-17, 04:59 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking of Velo saddles ! Years ago, my wife insisted on a comfort type saddle. She picked up a Velo at a local bike shop. $30.

A few months later we happened to be walking around Target (dept store). Saw a saddle that looked exactly like her Velo saddle. Took it off the rack, looked at the undercarriage and noticed it has Velo stamped on it.

Went home, looked at her bike shop saddle and sure enough, same one. But the dept store Velo was packaged differently and was only $15.
Old 03-29-17, 05:24 PM
therealjoeblow

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 1 | 2002 Giant Sedona LX | 1980s Norco Monterey SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tombaatar

Scientia | Selle Royal

This particular post just demonstrates the futility of asking anyone for a saddle recommentation...

I bought "this" <link to website with 9 different models>

Groan...

The Selle Royal Scientia noted above is offered in 9 different models for the one style of saddle!!! this among the other 50 or 60 models that Selle Royal makes, who are just one of several hundred manufacturers of saddles... you can imagine how fruitless this is.

There are literally thousands of models and styles available around the world; however not all of this plethora of products are available to purchase in every global region.

Many of the recommendations you are going to get from this forum are going to be either ultra premium products in the $250-300 range from hardcore enthusiasts, that won't suit your budget (I'm guessing, based on the pic you posted and riding you described you aren't looking for a saddle like that); or will be the *perfect* saddle for you at exactly the price point you want to spend, but is only available for purchase in Europe or some other crazy constraint like that.

You would be best to go to a local shop and ask the staff there what they sell, and what they recommend. Most shops that I know of offer a 30 or 60 day money-back guarantee on saddles, so essentially, you can keep running through the revolving door with a different one from the 40 or 50 that they sell until you find the perfect one, with no risk whatsoever if you don't like any of them. Buying something as personal and specialized as a saddle that someone on this forum recommends from Amazon or any other online retailer is a huge crapshoot.

Cheers
TRJB
Old 03-29-17, 05:32 PM
morgothaod

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
This might be a stupid question but how can I test saddles without having them attached to a bike? Also how is the selection of saddles at bike shops?
Old 03-29-17, 05:34 PM
morgothaod

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tornado60
I'll add that if you are off the bike too long your butt may need a little time to toughen back up too. Somebody once told me to sit on something hard. The area of your but that makes contact with the hard surface (and probably hurts) is the part your saddle needs to support. That logic has been a help for me.
I was off my bike for 30 days because of an injury but prior to that, I was riding just about an hour every day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.