Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with Niagara these days?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-13-18, 01:39 PM
taguy4

Bikes: Peugeot PR-10, Peugeot UO-8, Boeris racing bike, AMF Roadmaster Renegade, Gitane Gypsy Sport, various Schwinn muscle bikes, Schwinn Super Sport, Panasonic DX-4000, Palo Alto Campy equipped bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

Seems like nowadays half the parts and other things you click on on their website are out of stock. It used to not be that way that I can remember. They give you the option of letting them contact you when they get it again: part of me thinks they are just using that to figure out if they need to start stocking the part again since I imagine they have to buy a bunch of everything they stock from the manufacturer or distributor. Some of the things that are "out of stock" - like the Wigwam bike socks I like - are fairly piddly, so for a large operation like theirs it seems like it wouldn't be a big deal to stock them unless they are having a hard time getting them any more (which is a possibility). I wish that if they don't stock something they would take it off of their website so you don't sit at the computer wasting time clicking on things you can't order anyway. Another idea would be for them to give you the option of having it shipped directly from the manufacturer or distributor if they don't have it in stock.

Are there any other online retailers that are better about keeping things in stock and their website more up to date (and user friendly)?
Old 07-13-18, 01:44 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Maybe it's that tariff thing going on right now...people may have bought what they could get their hands on before it got expensive.
Old 07-13-18, 01:47 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
They are probably just changing how they do business. Niagara has always had a rep for saying they had stuff in stock they didn't have. You'd order and then excuse and excuse until your item finally ships. Good prices most times but not who you used if you needed it fast.

Appears most time you place and pay for your order and then they would actually source the item, get it in, and then ship it. Lots of threads on them.
Old 07-13-18, 02:10 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
I think that Niagara stocks only the big selling items. All else they have their system tied into their supply chain. So, if you order a crankset, for instance, they look at stock at a distributor. If the distributor shows it in stock, they say they have it. This is why it takes so long for them to assemble the order even though they have the part "in stock". They have to wait for the items to arrive at their facility first. It is actually a smart way to do business because they don't have to layout as much money. The downside is the delivery time and the fact that sometimes you will order a part that is in stock only to find out, it is no longer available.

I have ordered parts from them that were supposedly, in stock, only to find out weeks later that they don't have them and cannot get them.

I only order parts from them that I can afford to wait for. I also wish their filters were better so that I could find the part I am looking for faster.
Old 07-13-18, 02:41 PM
taguy4

Bikes: Peugeot PR-10, Peugeot UO-8, Boeris racing bike, AMF Roadmaster Renegade, Gitane Gypsy Sport, various Schwinn muscle bikes, Schwinn Super Sport, Panasonic DX-4000, Palo Alto Campy equipped bike

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Any good online alternatives to using them? My local bike shop doesn't stock diddlysquat of the things I need, and when I've had them get something for me it takes forever and it ends up being about four times what I can buy it online (i.e. over $8 for ONE cloth rim strip). I buy what I can there to support them, but they are definitely NOT in business of selling new parts that fit older road bikes.

I've mainly been buying bike parts on eBay lately, but usually you have to get parts from different sellers rather than finding one seller that has all you need, so the individual shipping costs can add up (unless you get lucky enough to find ones that offer free shipping for what you need).

I really miss the days of ordering things out of the Bike Warehouse or Palo Alto Bicycles catalogs. Getting these "wishbooks" - that were always free - periodically during the year was so much fun. Something about being able to page thru catalogs to find what I wanted was a lot more fun than clicking on icon after icon to get to what I want on a website or searching relentlessly on eBay. This technology we have today gives us a lot more options than we used to have but I don't think it has necessarily improved the quality of our lives.
Old 07-13-18, 03:02 PM
sallen73

Bikes: 1988 Ross Centaur, 2010 Fuji Connoisseur, 2015 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2017 Raleigh Carlton, 1987 Team Miyata, 2012 Soma Stanyan, 2015 Cinelli Supercorsa, 1984 Miyata 1000, [2009 Scattante SSR], [1988 Falcon Competitor 105], [2016 Soma Wolverine]

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
i like bikeparts.com - that's the online component to Peak Cycles in Colorado. they do have a habit of listing product that is out of stock, but it is stated clearly on the website, so no shenanigans with them taking your money then stringing you along.
i don't usually order anything that i need immediately, so cannot speak to how fast their shipping is but can say that i have never been left thinking "gee, it sure is taking a long time to get my stuff". in fact i have been surprised a couple of times when orders have arrived quicker than i anticipated.
Old 07-13-18, 04:23 PM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My last order took 8 days "awaiting fulfillment", then 2 days to ship. I've made 2 other ebay purchases that took 3 days total. With Niagara's (and everyone else's) shipping costs having gone up recently, shipping cost and order time is becoming my new criteria. But, sadly, I think I've ordered my last from Niagara. No good reason for a big retailer to take 8 days to ship something.
Old 07-13-18, 04:50 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
While it is admittedly feeding the monster, you can order pretty much any bike part through Amazon, get it really fast if you’re a Prime member, and have that order fulfilled by a variety of retailers, including Niagara.
Old 07-13-18, 04:53 PM
taguy4

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jj1091
My last order took 8 days "awaiting fulfillment", then 2 days to ship. I've made 2 other ebay purchases that took 3 days total. With Niagara's (and everyone else's) shipping costs having gone up recently, shipping cost and order time is becoming my new criteria. But, sadly, I think I've ordered my last from Niagara. No good reason for a big retailer to take 8 days to ship something.
My last order from Niagara also left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. I ordered a pair of Sun rims from them and one was right but the other was the wrong size AND wrong number of spoke holes. To be able to return it I had to send them pictures of it and the bar code, which was a big hassle to say the least. They eventually got the right rim to me, but I didn't appreciate being second guessed or treated like some sort of a criminal after I had spent many dollars with them on previous orders. Also it slowed down my bike project by a couple of weeks or so.
Old 07-13-18, 04:59 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
I haven't ordered from them for some time due to those problems. Instead I've added Amazon (And not any sub.) to my line up. They really come on strong in the last few months for bike gear.

Last edited by Colorado Kid; 07-13-18 at 05:01 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 07-13-18, 07:12 PM
MeadMan2

Bikes: Mead Ranger '24- Armstrong 3sp '64 Follis 172 '74 Centurian Accordo 80's Mercian '85 Mark Zeh road '86 Kona Explosif '93 Merkx Ti AX '97 Santana Arriva tandem '99 Bike Friday tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Another reason I love living in Minnesota, besides the great bike infrastructure. I used to work @ REI so if I need something & they don't have it they order it from QBP, which is in the same suburb & I get it in short order. I have ordered some things online if I can't find them locally.
Old 07-13-18, 09:36 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 213 Posts
I won't order squat from Amazon (or even use them for searching) because I don't like their business practices, from start to finish. I've had really good experience with Ben's Cycle, and TreeFortBikes in Ypsilanti. The latter seems to have a "we'll match at the lowest price available on the internet, and we'll even tell you who's selling for that price"policy. They always tell you if it's in stock, and ship expeditiously. RivBike is great too, when you want what they sell; which reminds me: I need to redeem my "winter gift certificate".
Old 07-13-18, 09:48 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
I'll order a few things from Niagara, and seem to do ok... albeit a bit slow. I might pick up some obscure things like Wheelmaster hubs, or I think my last order was for Surly ExtraTerrestrial tires which I think are mainly available in the USA.

Most of the general stuff, I just get from one of the big UK distributors, or sometimes a European distributor.

Wiggle, Ribble, Merlin, Chain Reaction, bike-discount.de (German branded stuff), etc.

Most of them give free shipping with a minimum order. Ribble now charges for shipping, I think, so watch order that the shipping comes with their cheaper rates. bike-discount.de charges a flat rate for shipping, so it works if you have to stock up on things like expensive chains.
Old 07-14-18, 01:41 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
So, if Niagra is slow, who is fast? Who has stuff in stock and possibly has free shipping? Of course, the merchandise has to be top quality and name brand. Junk is no bargain, no matter how fast.
Old 07-14-18, 01:51 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
So, if Niagra is slow, who is fast? Who has stuff in stock and possibly has free shipping? Of course, the merchandise has to be top quality and name brand. Junk is no bargain, no matter how fast.
Oddly, as mentioned above, many (but not all) home E-Bay shippers are lightening fast.

If there are a dozen sellers selling the same thing, I've on occasion gone by the estimated delivery times to choose a seller.

Most of the UK distributors will ship within a day or two. But, you have to deal with international shipping which incurs delays, but the overall transit times compete favorable with companies like Niagara.

Sorry, no actual specific recommendations in the USA.

Of course, if your LBS stocks the item, that is usually the quickest.

Hmmm...
Amazon books are usually the slowest.
But, if you get Amazon Prime fulfilled by Amazon, it can be quick.
Old 07-14-18, 03:30 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 142 Posts
I ilke Universal Cycles. Plus their website is VERY informative, AND, to top it all off, their inventory is "live"
Old 07-14-18, 07:20 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I just had the same experience at Nashbar - that is clicking on items that were then immediately out of stock. Pretty annoying.
Old 07-14-18, 07:25 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 185 Posts
I recently placed an order with Niagara. After 10 days of Awaiting Fulfillment and credit card charge same day I placed the order, I asked them what was going on. They said their distributor had sent them the wrong item out of my order and were waiting for the right item. Would have been nice to know my order was delayed without having to ask.
Old 07-14-18, 10:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Amazon. EBay. Planet Cyclery. Wiggle. Universal cycles. Nashbar.
and many more.

Free shipping is a misnomer. It isnt free to you as its built into the prices overall.
Old 07-15-18, 07:50 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
Any top rated seller on ebay has one business day to ship. So if they take longer, they lose the TRS status. So buy from TRS with confidence.

My experience with Niagara is slow, always slow. I just adjust my expectations accordingly. Jensen USA will price match, and they are faster. I have gone that route.

+10 Free shipping is NOT free. No seller gets free postage from the USPS or UPS or Fed Ex. They just adjust their pricing to cover the cost. I offer free shipping on some items on ebay, I adjust the price up. On one recently, ebay's postage calculator was really high. So I adjusted my selling price to build in more realistic (cheaper) shipping. Savvy buyers should be comparing delivered prices, not selling prices.

I get tired of buyers asking for free shipping. I typically ask them to recommend a carrier that is free and I will use them.
Old 07-15-18, 08:19 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by wrk101
+10 Free shipping is NOT free. No seller gets free postage from the USPS or UPS or Fed Ex. They just adjust their pricing to cover the cost. I offer free shipping on some items on ebay, I adjust the price up. On one recently, ebay's postage calculator was really high. So I adjusted my selling price to build in more realistic (cheaper) shipping. Savvy buyers should be comparing delivered prices, not selling prices.

I get tired of buyers asking for free shipping. I typically ask them to recommend a carrier that is free and I will use them.
Actually, as a buyer, free shipping is complex.

On E-Bay, I frequently either buy multiples of a single item, or will buy several items from a seller.

So, in the case of marking up, then offering "free shipping", the sellers actually pocket the extra profit from multiple item orders.

On the other hand, big retailers use "free shipping" as a way to both encourage larger orders, as well as reducing delivered prices on those larger orders. Theoretically less "handling".

I think some sellers also use free shipping as a response to Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) requirements. No sense in charging for shipping AND complying with MAP. So, they comply with MAP, but give the perk of free shipping, so the delivered cost is the same as retailers have in their store.
Old 07-15-18, 10:50 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
I ilke Universal Cycles. Plus their website is VERY informative, AND, to top it all off, their inventory is "live"
+1 for Universal. I use them for most my hard parts with no issues. Nashbar continues to be my go-to for supplies but I find their parts catalog to be lacking these days. I’ve always used Niagara for my Wheelsmith spokes and nipples. Never an issue with those items but I’ve steered clear of other parts because of the experiences shared by BF members over the years.
Old 07-15-18, 12:15 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I don't ebay, so the shop web sites are much appreciated.
Old 07-23-18, 08:09 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
So, a local mechanic whose work I respect a lot for reached out to ask the same question, he mentioned he's noticed these problems with Niagara and wanted recommendations. He shared this article which may be related: https://www.bicycleretailer.com/nort...s#.W1XdQ9JKjIU

Note that all of this trade war nonsense our fearless leader started will directly impact our collective passions and, as stated.

I've got little ones and Amazon Prime is essential in my opinion - for the free videos, free music, e-books, school supplies, etc. As a result, I find I'm using it almost exclusively these days on consumables, especially brake cables, housings, pads, tape, bearings, lubricants, etc. and occasionally for parts (bars, levers, etc.) or tools. Markup is usually 10% higher than some of the big outlets on some items, but IMO you make up for it receiving the item in less than 72 hours w/o directly paying for shipping, and you can usually expedite to same-day or next-day shipping on many items for less than $4 - $8.

If you flip bikes like I do, good example of how Amazon can help you increase profits is here: For $10 shipped you can get everything you need to redo brake and shift cables in one pack from Schwinn which leaves me spending less than half what I would at other outlets like Porkchop BMX (which is my preference for non-black housing and cables). I keep several of the Schwinn packs on-hand, the shift cable ends are perfect for difficult-to-fit levers like Simplex and brake cables have road and BMX ends..

I've also been using BikeTiresDirect for supplies. They don't just sell tires, have regular specials advertised by email, do price-matching with legit storefronts, and offer additional discounts after you purchase enough to become a 'platinum' member. For me, that was a couple hundred bucks which tool 3-4 orders to reach, tops. I've gotten some wicked scores, some of which I've posted here, which include picking up a bunch of Kenda K161 cyclocross 27" tires for $7/ea, and I've also posted deals here from time to time on the (slightly heavy but rugged) Michelin Dynamic Classic tires for dirt cheap.

I've seen where you can find some great deals at other stores - Wiggle is a good example - but it's almost always new for parts we C&V folks still use because they're common (tires are a good example).
Old 07-23-18, 09:13 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
For vintage bike stuff, Yellow Jersey, Ben’s cycles, Boulder cycles, and eBay. Everything else Universal Cycles. Tried Niagra once, which was one time too many, tried going cheap, and learned my lesson. Tim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.