Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Interesting response

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Interesting response

Old 01-09-19, 06:43 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Interesting response

disclaimer:This is not an attempt to start anew a conversation as to what is the appropriate warning to use when approaching walkers, a topic that as been discussed multiple times.

I went for a walk the other night. and was much surprised to heard the phrase "on your left" behind me. What I found interesting is that my body went left even as my brain said go right. It was if my instinctive physical response overrode or rode over(weak pun intended) what I knew to be the correct move to make. Weird!
Old 01-10-19, 02:56 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
It's because most people naturally go where they look or where their heads are turned. It takes practice and concentration to look one way and continue straight. All racers must practice this, whether runners, cyclists, motorcyclists or drivers.

Usually when I approach pedestrians from behind and there's any doubt about their intentions, I slow to slightly faster than their walking pace and announce "Bicycle behind you" in a conversational tone and volume. Then I move into the space they vacate, whichever way they go. Usually they move to the right.

If they're already far to the right and seem to know I'm approaching (if they peek over their shoulder, etc), I may pass slowly without announcing. Sometimes folks seem startled. Others have ear buds in and won't hear anyway.

And that works out pretty well most of the time. Once in awhile a fast approaching cyclist behind me or approaching from the other direction complicates things a bit, but I've gotten into the habit of passing much more slowly than I used to. I feed my need for speed away from the multi-use path. So when I'm on the MUP and trails I take it easy around pedestrians, joggers and slower cyclists. I can always speed up again after I'm clear of other folks. Good opportunity to sprint between those slowdowns, if I need to stretch my legs a bit.
Old 01-10-19, 04:38 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^All of the above is why I try to get all of my riding in during the hours most people are asleep.
Old 01-10-19, 08:54 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by rck
disclaimer:This is not an attempt to start anew a conversation as to what is the appropriate warning to use when approaching walkers, a topic that as been discussed multiple times.

I went for a walk the other night. and was much surprised to heard the phrase "on your left" behind me. What I found interesting is that my body went left even as my brain said go right. It was if my instinctive physical response overrode or rode over(weak pun intended) what I knew to be the correct move to make. Weird!
Do you think you would have done the same if you heard a bell instead of a voice with the word "left" ? I think bells are usually better
Old 01-10-19, 09:04 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
that's interesting. my pet peeve is when ppl are looking in one direction as they walk, but their bodies are slowing moving in the opposite direction. meaning, looking right as they wander left. wonder if it's related
Old 01-10-19, 09:32 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
It's because most people naturally go where they look or where their heads are turned. It takes practice and concentration to look one way and continue straight. All racers must practice this, whether runners, cyclists, motorcyclists or drivers.
From my mountain biking days we used to say "Look where you want to go, not at what you want to miss." I still find that advice hard to follow sometimes.

FWIW, I live 2 miles from Missouri's Katy Trail so I ride on it a lot. I've found a tiny little "ting, ting" Incredibell to be about 50% effective with pedestrians. The other 50% are pretty much oblivious to anything.
Old 01-10-19, 10:59 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Canklecat may be on to something. I probably heard left, instinctively looked left and moved left. In my defense, I was on a sidewalk and would have stepped into the street if I had moved to the other left. Operator error on my part. I usually use the phrase "rider back" and wait for everyone to settle down. A bell would work just as well, I expect, although I probably would have jumped straight up! Ironic that I was passing under the bike trail bridge at that moment.
Old 01-10-19, 12:38 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I say onyerleft as a warning to let others know I am passing.

They really don't need to look back or move. I consider it more of a warning that I am present so they don't move into my line of travel.

Unless the one being passed is blocking the center of a lane or making it impossible for the passer to get by, there really is no need to move or look back. It's more of a warning to avoid interference.
Old 01-10-19, 12:43 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
This is an interesting video. It's Japanese, but you can figure out what's going on. He rings his bell and watches what the pedestrians do.

Old 01-10-19, 12:46 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
[QUOTE=BlazingPedals;20741509]This is an interesting video. It's Japanese, but you can figure out what's going on. He rings his bell and watches what the pedestrians do.

/QUOTE]Very cool!
Old 01-10-19, 01:16 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I've noticed that, on wide trails, I can sometimes make noises & that's enough of a warning for ppl ahead to know I was approaching. BUT - older ppl don't have the same hearing ability!
Old 01-10-19, 05:16 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I wonder if signage on the rail trails wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old 01-10-19, 11:19 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
I say "on your left" and get about a 50% response. The other half have earbuds and wouldn't hear me if I fired a gun. I say it anyway and ride by them at a slow speed. I try to be unfailingly polite in the hopes that I"m stocking points in my karma bank. I say thanks, give a small wave. Just like I do when I'm on the road and drivers yield to me.
Old 01-11-19, 08:09 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rck
How far behind you was the rider when he or she called out? Typically riders who voice announce do so as they are passing. Normal reaction is to turn in the direction of the sound which is then alongside you. Had he or she announced further back you would have reacted differently.

The trouble with voice warnings is that a rider who wants to provide sufficient warning must raise their voice significantly, and since that is perceived as rude yelling, many are loath to do it and instead rely on a friendly quiet warning far to close to be effective. I use a bell because it can be heard from a distance and is recognisable to most, though I have been yelled at for not calling out "on your left" in addition to the bell.
Old 01-11-19, 07:24 PM
Mainiac

Bikes: Fuji Allegro, Miele Mountain Bike, Trek Domane AL 2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Just three paved feet to the right of the white fog stripe is all I need."

It may be all you need, but many drivers look at the white line next to a bike path and forget the 3 feet to the rider. Too close for me.
Old 01-11-19, 09:42 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
Do you think you would have done the same if you heard a bell instead of a voice with the word "left" ? I think bells are usually better
I ring my Mickey Mouse Bell and say PASSING ON YOUR LEFT or PASSING LEFT

IMO, on your left is ambiguous and non informative
Old 01-12-19, 04:49 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
I ring my Mickey Mouse Bell and say PASSING ON YOUR LEFT or PASSING LEFT

IMO, on your left is ambiguous and non informative
"Bike passing" or "Coming around" or "ding ding" or "Excuse me sir, I am about to overtake you" all work. But I usually just ring my bell, and I don't really care what their response is as long as they don't wander in front.
Old 01-13-19, 09:37 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
From my mountain biking days we used to say "Look where you want to go, not at what you want to miss." I still find that advice hard to follow sometimes.

FWIW, I live 2 miles from Missouri's Katy Trail so I ride on it a lot. I've found a tiny little "ting, ting" Incredibell to be about 50% effective with pedestrians. The other 50% are pretty much oblivious to anything.
Hey RG!
I find a lot of the oblivious people on trails are often listening to music. If I see earbuds, I don't even bother saying On Your Left anymore.
Old 01-13-19, 01:25 PM
BobL

Bikes: 2005 Airborne Titanium Upright; 1998 Trek 5200

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
This is an interesting video. It's Japanese, but you can figure out what's going on. He rings his bell and watches what the pedestrians do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_MphtzCOEc
I wonder if the reaction is because Japan is one of the countries that drives on the left side of the road? They either went left or spread out left and right.

I would guess that would affect how you react; you've spent your lifetime being trained in how to respond. It's like the "slower traffic keep right" signs in the US. I wonder if that were repeated in the US if people would move to the right?
Old 01-13-19, 01:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
On the MUP, I Ring my bell well back of them , dog walkers and others on the river-walk.. they react appropriately for themselves, and I pass with a 'hello' ..
Old 01-13-19, 04:05 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
When equipped with a bell, I'll ring it. Without, I call out "coming up behind!" I don't call out left/right as that's often where they'll go. I take whatever side they give me, and offer a pleasant "Thank you" as I pass cautiously.

-Kedosto
Old 01-13-19, 11:07 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
That video from Japan is a real hoot. I use a bell on the local MUP and it works pretty well, there are variations in responses of course and they seem to me to be generally based on demographics. Some of these are sure things, others more random. I offer these examples. Assume pedestrians walking on right approaching from behind.

Older couple, man on left - woman will tug man to the right, easy pass, worth a “thank you”
Pair of younger men - one on right steps left, one on left steps right, in the confusion easy pass, comment “ make up your mind”
Pair of chatting women - won’t hear anything, ring bell insistantly while approaching, sneak by, no comment
Mom watching toddler toddling on trail - slow down to a stop as necessary, don’t get between mama bear and cub
Older Indian couple - walking on left side, that’s their training, ring once, scoot by
Stroller club - ring enough to get their attention, ease by, comment “is this a race?”
Little kid on bike - ring once, scoot by, don’t say anything especially to the real little ones, let them concentrate on going straight.

That’s enough for now. I hope some university will study this more completey. As that video showed just walking along with a bell will yield good observations
Enjoy.

Old 01-14-19, 07:09 AM
switchblade 327

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This is why I like handlebar bells, they sound nice and also give a slightly longer warning,and not yelling which some people may find aggressive.
Old 01-21-19, 08:42 PM
MontgomeryMeigs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I've also noticed that when saying 'On your left' people will often step to their left, or as mentioned look over their left shoulder and walk the direction their head is turned.

So I tend to announce with 'Good morning' (or whatever time of day it is), and I find that people don't turn around but will instead edge toward their right to let me pass. Maybe the absence of the word 'left' has something to do with their reaction.
Old 01-22-19, 08:45 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
I ran into all sorts of situations and the bell is the most consistently effective tool. On your left or rider back is ok , it just doesn't seem to work as well. And then there is the stinking ear buds! Drat!!! They wouldn't hear anything no matter what you do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.