Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Fizik bar tape on vintage SR bars

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-19, 09:20 PM
taguy4

Bikes: Peugeot PR-10, Peugeot UO-8, Boeris racing bike, AMF Roadmaster Renegade, Gitane Gypsy Sport, various Schwinn muscle bikes, Schwinn Super Sport, Panasonic DX-4000, Palo Alto Campy equipped bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

I wrapped some vintage Cannondale handlebars (I believe made by SR) with Fizik bar tape (it's supposed to be the "thin" stuff) and I can't for the life of me get the supplied bar end plugs in after I stuffed the overhanging tape in the bars. because they are almost the same outside diameter as the inside diameter of the bars. I only have about a third wrap of tape stuffed in the bars so this is frustrating. have some old Velox plugs that I managed to get in but they don't look right because the exposed parts are so much smaller than the outside of the tape on the bars (and they are black instead of white like the tape which makes that look worse). What I need (besides thinner bar tape) is some plugs that have a smaller section that goes into the bars, but everything seems to be geared toward modern handlebars that apparently are a bit larger in inside diameter. I've thought about cutting slits or little wedges in the overhanging tape to see if that would help to reduce the bulk to stuff in the bars but thought I'd check here to see if anyone has a better solution.

Any other ideas? This is one of the reasons why I hate modern padded tape, which is about all that's available besides cloth (which I don't think looks good with brake cables that are run under the bar tape).
Old 01-27-19, 09:46 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Trim the part of the plug that inserts into the bar end, maybe.

You wrapped top-down?
Old 01-27-19, 10:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Try a skiving tool, usually sold for leather crafts. If you prefer padded bar tape you'll get enough use to justify the price -- around $10 or less. It peels thin layers off to thin the remaining strips.

Or if you have a really sharp potato/vegetable peeler, or a craft knife or razor and a steady hand, you can try that. But a skiver will do a neater job.
Old 01-28-19, 12:22 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,484 Times in 3,208 Posts
I almost always file those down with my beefy iron file. And I almost always file a finger in the process.
Old 01-28-19, 01:53 AM
taguy4

Bikes: Peugeot PR-10, Peugeot UO-8, Boeris racing bike, AMF Roadmaster Renegade, Gitane Gypsy Sport, various Schwinn muscle bikes, Schwinn Super Sport, Panasonic DX-4000, Palo Alto Campy equipped bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'm just going to get some thinner tape; I measured this and compared it to the Fizik Superlight tape on my other bike and determined that this isn't the Superlight tape I was led to believe I ordered. I was misled by the eBay seller I got it from. I get so sick and tired of these shysters trying to pass stuff off for what it isn't on eBay. eBay is getting to be such a lousy place to buy and sell things these days.

Is Fizik Superlight tape the only thin (2mm or less thick) tape available these days besides cloth? I just hate how this ugly padded foam tape looks on vintage bikes, and it's nearly impossible to get it to look good on the ends. In my opinion it's better suited to modern style bikes that are already unsightly with their severely oversized and distorted tubing, and blacked out finishes and components.
Old 01-28-19, 08:47 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Originally Posted by taguy4
I wrapped some vintage Cannondale handlebars (I believe made by SR) with Fizik bar tape (it's supposed to be the "thin" stuff) and I can't for the life of me get the supplied bar end plugs in after I stuffed the overhanging tape in the bars. because they are almost the same outside diameter as the inside diameter of the bars. I only have about a third wrap of tape stuffed in the bars so this is frustrating. have some old Velox plugs that I managed to get in but they don't look right because the exposed parts are so much smaller than the outside of the tape on the bars (and they are black instead of white like the tape which makes that look worse). What I need (besides thinner bar tape) is some plugs that have a smaller section that goes into the bars, but everything seems to be geared toward modern handlebars that apparently are a bit larger in inside diameter. I've thought about cutting slits or little wedges in the overhanging tape to see if that would help to reduce the bulk to stuff in the bars but thought I'd check here to see if anyone has a better solution.

Any other ideas? This is one of the reasons why I hate modern padded tape, which is about all that's available besides cloth (which I don't think looks good with brake cables that are run under the bar tape).
Had the same problem with Fizik bar being a bit too big in diameter, so I had to pound them in with a plastic mallet (And it was still very hard to get them in!) or there was no way I could have installed them with just my hands like all other bar plugs I have used before I tried the Fizik brand..... and it was also with the lightweight l, thin tape too! I suspect that it would not be fun trying to get the plugs out when bar tape change time comes....

Last edited by Chombi1; 01-28-19 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-28-19, 12:13 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
If you are wrapping from the bottom up, you can just begin the wrap flush with the bar end rather than tuck it in. That’s what I have done using Fizik with barend shifters and it works fine.
Old 01-28-19, 12:20 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Use a wine cork
Old 01-28-19, 12:37 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
What about cutting the end of the tape so that it has a jagged, zig-zag edge? You'd be able to remove quite a bit of material that way. Might fit better.
​​​​​​
Old 01-28-19, 01:03 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
For the 2mm stuff when you get to the bar ends pull it really tight for the last loop around. This should deform it around the bar end. Cut the tape off maybe 3/8" past the bar in a circle. You should be able to push it in with the plug at this point. Generally if you don't cut it off and just try to tuck the whole end in there, it will be too fat.

Yeah, you can use scissors to cut the tape end into strands to make it easier to tuck in. I don't usually find it necessary for 2mm tape.

^^^ This all assumes wrapping from the top down. If using 3mm tape, I'd suggest going from bottom to top in the modern manner.

Certain bars may have a smaller than usual ID. If using Velox plugs, you can sand or grind down the plug for an easier fit. IIRC I had to do this when installing VO bars on my PX10.
Old 01-28-19, 01:30 PM
Chombi1 

Originally Posted by Piff
What about cutting the end of the tape so that it has a jagged, zig-zag edge? You'd be able to remove quite a bit of material that way. Might fit better.
​​​​​​
Doing so might help, but the plugs are just way too tight even without the bar tape inserted.
I think the Fuzik bar plugs were just designed for modern bars with possibly bigger I.D.s?.....
Best solution, I think, is to just not use the plugs supplied by Fizik. One can just buy plugs with the correct diameter from eBay instead. There are lots to choose from.
Old 01-28-19, 01:49 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Agree, especially for the older smaller diam. The last batches of Fizik micro 2mm whatever are not like I've had from the past. It doesn't like tight radius either and tough to work out any wrinkles.

For bar plugs, I don't use the included Fizik but rather improvise with other type or make.
Old 01-28-19, 01:56 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
If you are wrapping from the bottom up, you can just begin the wrap flush with the bar end rather than tuck it in. That’s what I have done using Fizik with barend shifters and it works fine.
Exactly. Wrapping top down does not work well with modern bar tapes. And that is why Fizik includes the “finishing” tape, so that you can secure the loose end at the top of the bars.
Old 01-28-19, 02:15 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by taguy4
I'm just going to get some thinner tape; I measured this and compared it to the Fizik Superlight tape on my other bike and determined that this isn't the Superlight tape I was led to believe I ordered. I was misled by the eBay seller I got it from. I get so sick and tired of these shysters trying to pass stuff off for what it isn't on eBay. eBay is getting to be such a lousy place to buy and sell things these days.
Companies have different lines of things that get sold in different areas, and to different distribution groups and other things... Unless the seller distinctly repackaged inferior tape into the Superlight package, the seller isn't necessarily at fault.

I've bought Jagwire housing in bulk off eBay. The last batch of housing I got was not the same quality housing that I usually get- BUT I did pay less for it. It was in sealed Jagwire packaging- I sort of have doubts as to whether it was actually Jagwire housing; but my overall thought is that it was a cheap line of Jagwire housing- more OEM than Premium. More often than not- you get what you pay for. If you pay much less for something, there's a reason for that. I got ****ty housing because I was too cheap to get the good stuff.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 01-28-19, 06:07 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine

Exactly. Wrapping top down does not work well with modern bar tapes...
Not knowing any better, I've always wrapped top down
When the plug is reluctant to go all the way in, I lube the whole ******* issue with some silicone grease, make sure I've had my Wheaties that morning, and giv'er
Old 01-28-19, 08:21 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Is it that hard to file down a piece of plastic? Takes like a minute to do both.
Old 01-28-19, 08:50 PM
Chombi1 

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Is it that hard to file down a piece of plastic? Takes like a minute to do both.
When the last thing you are doing to complete a long hard build is wrap your bars,......it is hard to spend any more time to goof around with a file to make dang plastic bar plugs fit better into a handlebar.......
DANG,.........DID I (Mr. Perfectionist) JUST SAY THAT???!
Old 01-28-19, 10:19 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by Chombi1
When the last thing you are doing to complete a long hard build is wrap your bars, it is hard to spend any more time to goof around with a file to make dang plastic bar plugs fit better into a handlebar.
I just expect to spend a minute doing that when I use Fizik, and I use Fizik a lot. It's much easier than cutting the tape at the perfect spot and angle at the top to finish -- not something I always look forward to.

I like those plugs. They're very basic, black, and lightweight.

And I wish wrapping bars were the last thing I do to a build. I usually spend a few hours tuning everything, brakes especially. Now that can get tiresome.
Old 01-29-19, 02:04 AM
Chombi1 

..................And I wish wrapping bars were the last thing I do to a build. I usually spend a few hours tuning everything, brakes especially. Now that can get tiresome.
I always do the bar wrapping last, because i would have been done with all the stuff that gets my hands dirty and greasy on the build. Not the best thing to have dirty hands if you are handing white cork bar tape, which is my favorite....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 01-29-19, 05:58 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
I recently did a wrap with fizik 3mm stuff. Getting it in the ends of the bars with the plugs supplied was a BEAR! It took a lot of patience and a rubber mallet. It is possible but very tough. Never again! Even the thinner 2.5mm fizik is difficult.
Old 01-29-19, 07:11 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by Chombi1
I always do the bar wrapping last, because i would have been done with all the stuff that gets my hands dirty and greasy on the build.
So you do your test ride with dirty hands and without completing the build with bar tape?

After everything has been mounted on mine, the only thing to get dirty is if I handle the chain. And that's easy enough to immediately wipe off.

But I know what you mean about getting the bar tape dirty. Before I did all my own stuff, a mechanic wrapped my bars with the expensive leather wrap I supplied while he was doing other stuff and had grease on his hands. I couldn't believe he could be so thoughtless.
Old 01-29-19, 07:32 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
On a new build with drop bars, don't you also want to ride it for at least a few MILES with no tape, in case you decide you want to relocate the levers based on fit?
Likes For madpogue:
Old 01-29-19, 08:39 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by madpogue
On a new build with drop bars, don't you also want to ride it for at least a few MILES with no tape, in case you decide you want to relocate the levers based on fit?
Probably a smart thing to do, though I've never done it that way.

What if it's raining out, and that new tape is taunting me to wrap it already? Impatience surely gets the better of me.
Old 01-29-19, 06:10 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

This is what I use: 4 in 1 steel file.

If you want to wait two weeks, it's about half price from china. Harbor Freight sells 'em, too.

The roughest side makes very quick work of these plastic bar ends.

And they are an absolute must for all kinds of aluminum polishing. A file like this can remove deep zig-zags in seatposts and/or removing 0.2mm from them.

The only other file I use is rounded on one side, which is a must for deep gouges and tiny areas like road rash on brake levers and rear derailleurs.
Old 01-30-19, 03:10 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I almost always file those down with my beefy iron file. And I almost always file a finger in the process.
Thanks for admitting that. Now I don't feel so bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.