Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fixie Wheels / Rims

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Fixie Wheels / Rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-19, 06:11 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Fixie Wheels / Rims

why does it seem that most fixie wheelsets are deep rim heavy style. I wanted to upgrade but prices go from $100 to $300 with most having the deep rim look. Is there a reason behind this trend? I think if I buy normal road rims and re-spoke I would save a ton of weight..is there any reason to go with deep rims for some unknown to me fixie bike reasoning.
Curious...
Old 08-08-19, 07:13 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Many moons ago Deep Vs were the gold standard of cool and you could get them in a ****load of sweet colors. Then Velocity birthed the antichrist of rims, the B43. It was even deeper and heavy as ****, with triple wall construction for no reason. Fixies jumped the shark while it was in vogue and its ghost haunts us to this day.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 08-08-19, 07:40 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Many moons ago Deep Vs were the gold standard of cool and you could get them in a ****load of sweet colors. Then Velocity birthed the antichrist of rims, the B43. It was even deeper and heavy as ****, with triple wall construction for no reason. Fixies jumped the shark while it was in vogue and its ghost haunts us to this day.
Ok
so it is not a power thing torque or something but pure aesthetics 😁
Old 08-08-19, 08:03 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Bingo.
Old 08-08-19, 08:06 PM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
There's a set of B43s sitting right behind me right now, so they literally haunt me.
Likes For phobus:
Old 08-08-19, 08:13 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Is it 2004 again?

-Bandera
Old 08-08-19, 08:57 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I ride Velocity Aero rears and Mavic Open Pro or Sport fronts. Those Velocities are bulletproof and build up beautifully. (Also have the nice feature of a very deep usable braking surface so I can do big cog size changes and keep the brake pads on the rim.) The Mavis are a bunch lighter and work. Also build up well.

Ben
Old 08-09-19, 04:44 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Deep rims may be more aerodynamic, or they may simply be styled to look more aerodynamic. The faster you go, the more important aerodynamics becomes.

It can be harder to get tyres onto or off deep rims when repairing a puncture.

Very deep rims need an inner tube with a longer valve stem. These can be harder to source.

All other things being equal (same material, thickness, quality) deeper rims will be heavier, will have more rotational inertia, and will take slightly more effort to accelerate or slow down. The more you change speed, and the more climbing you do, the more important rotating weight will become.

All that aside, there are no additional stresses that go through a single speed or fixed wheel that do not also go through a wheel fitted with a multi-speed block or even a hub gear. The maximum force you can put through is dictated by how hard you can push on the pedals, and how much friction the brakes can apply — and none of this is affected by the bike being single, fixed, or geared. A single speed or fixed does not need a stronger or stiffer rim than a geared bike.

The reason that you see so many "fixies" with deep rims is the same reason that you see so many people commuting short distances in flat cities on dual suspension mountain bikes: fashion and marketing. For a period, the minimalist fixie with bold colours and deep rims was a thing. Perhaps it still is, because I haven't had reason to look at new bikes for a few years now.

Whether you choose to buy into the fashion is up to you. A bike is not just a machine, it is a tool, a toy, and can also be an expression of who you are. If your bike looks good (to you) as well as feeling good, you will enjoy riding it more.

You can of course have wheels built to your preferred spec., or even do it yourself if you are handy with tools and have the time. Rims, hubs, spokes and nipples can all be purchased separately and any decent local bike shop can build a wheel to order.

My personal opinion: within broad limits in terms of price and quality, I'd pay more attention to my choice of tyres than my rims.
Old 08-09-19, 11:41 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I've got a set of Velocity Deep-V rims that I ride pretty regularly on one of my bikes. The aerodynamic advantage is moot for me, because I don't ride that bike fast enough for it to make much difference. But they are quite tough and only pretty heavy.

The Velocity Chukkar is wider, not quite as deep, and super heavy. I think they were designed for tandems and touring. They were offered in a 48-spoke drilling, intended specifically for bike polo.* I have a set of these. As soon as I realized what boat anchors they are, I swapped them for something lighter, and now they're sitting in my garage awaiting the day I decide to try polo or find someone who can use them.

It's interesting to see the evolution of bike components as racers and ordinary consumers discover what works best, and marketing hacks push trendy features in a dynamic interchange of supply and demand.

* Polo bikes need tough wheels, but the reason really high spoke count is preferred is simply to keep the ball from being able to pass through the wheel. A lot of guys make plastic or even cardboard discs/fairings to achieve the same result.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-09-19, 01:34 PM
Mikefule

Originally Posted by Broctoon
It's interesting to see the evolution of bike components as racers and ordinary consumers discover what works best, and marketing hacks push trendy features in a dynamic interchange of supply and demand.
Indeed. The fun one is when a minority of individualists and rebels come up with something minimalist that flies in the face of the marketing — and within about 3 days, the marketing people have turned round and started mass-marketing it as "rebellious", but in a range of colours and flavours. It happened with punk rock in the mid 1970s and it happened with fixed wheel bikes a few years ago.
Old 08-09-19, 02:09 PM
nightfly

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
It happens with literally everything. It's called capitalism. There is a well worn path from fringe to cool to commodified. There are large bodies of study and a literature devoted to it.

Deep V's are for looks. They are heavy, stiff and stupid.

Originally Posted by Mikefule
Indeed. The fun one is when a minority of individualists and rebels come up with something minimalist that flies in the face of the marketing — and within about 3 days, the marketing people have turned round and started mass-marketing it as "rebellious", but in a range of colours and flavours. It happened with punk rock in the mid 1970s and it happened with fixed wheel bikes a few years ago.
Likes For nightfly:
Old 08-10-19, 12:46 PM
BicycleBicycle

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I don't think it's about being rebellious as much as it is about having something personal that you can identify with
The "rebellious" box is too easy to just throw everything that's not normcore into. Kind of a lot like how things are marketed to a mainstream audience, "Themes".
Then again, I've never really experienced the social intracacies of bike riding other than with people that made me feel like I was inferior because of where I was from, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask.

Last edited by BicycleBicycle; 08-10-19 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-10-19, 01:17 PM
Mikefule

Originally Posted by BicycleBicycle
I don't think it's about being rebellious as much as it is about having something personal that you can identify with
The "rebellious" box is too easy to just throw everything that's not normcore into. Kind of a lot like how things are marketed to a mainstream audience. One or two word "themes".
Whether we say "rebellious" or choose a different word like quirky, eccentric, individualistic, non-conformist, fringe, or a dozen other words, the point is that some people deliberately try to be different from the mainstream, and some other people have more or less a total disregard for the mainstream. Once something that is non-mainstream catches hold, the mainstream appropriates it and makes it mainstream, whilst using the "non-conformist" angle to market it.
Old 08-10-19, 01:59 PM
BicycleBicycle

I'm not part of any stream so I wouldn't know honestly lol. I don't do much of anything on a bike for social reasons, or because I want other people to see what I have. Its mostly for personal aesthetic satisfaction and because I need a real bike and will take one over something that is in the shape of a bike (hi-ten) anyday.

I just like to do things by myself without having to think about these things all of the time.
I just know that marketing teams usually take everything that is visually or thematically appealling to people and try to make something in that sense.
Often times that borders on the unsafe as sometimes there is almost no regard for why or how the original products were made. Deep V's are laterally stiff, and actually pretty light for how much surface area they cover. They're made to be ridden.
A few companies copied it (Mostly mass parts distributors) and made a halfway decent wheel, but the ones that I see that are the grossest are the ones that come on the newer completes.

Marketing definitely has it's place, but sometimes it's kinda gross.

Also, I think that that's how literally everything happens. Even in penguin suit business situations.
I don't see a whole lot of innovation coming from people that did exactly what everyone else did.
Everyone told Musk that he as an idiot for starting a car company. Every innovation we've ever had comes from someone trying to do something differently.
But again, I'm probably not the best person to answer these questions, because I've never known what not different is. For someone to want to do somethign differently, they first have to know what it's like to be in a normal setting. If you've never had that and you've been screwing around on bikes since you were literally 12, then whatever that was is normal for you.
I think that people that want to do things to be "different" typically start from "normal", and that's what most mainstream marketing markets too. People that don't try to discover these things until they are in their late teens or early 20''s.

Last edited by BicycleBicycle; 08-10-19 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-12-19, 08:56 AM
nightfly

If you are defining your difference by what type of consumer products you consume, you've already lost. The whole mainstream vs fringe are just marketing categories.

Until you start thinking about what defines the system you are in and explore what might be outside that, you're basically just moving pieces around on a board set by someone else.

And deep V's still kinda suck.
Old 08-12-19, 09:27 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
"I don't belong to any group" is the coolest group to be in.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-12-19, 09:40 AM
Bandera
~>~

"Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member."

-Groucho Marx
Likes For Bandera:
Old 08-12-19, 10:30 AM
Bandera
~>~

He's a Fixie Rebel

"See the way he rides his Fixie down the street
Watch the way he tries to find his feet
My, he holds his head up high
When he goes skidding by, he's my guy
When he holds my hand, I'm so proud
'Cause he's not just one of the FW crowd
My baby's always the one to try
the things they've never done
And just because of that, they say
He's a rebel and he'll never ever be any good
He's a rebel 'cause he never ever does what he should
But just because he doesn't do what everybody else does
Except drink only PBR and wear ironic facial hair
That's no reason why I can't give him all my love
He's always good to me, always treats me tenderly
'Cause he's not a rebel, oh, no, no, no
He's not a rebel, oh, no, no, no, to me
If they don't like him that way
They won't like me after today
I'll be standing right by his side when they say
He's a Fixie Rebel…"

-Apology to The Crystals

Last edited by Bandera; 08-12-19 at 10:51 AM.
Likes For Bandera:
Old 08-12-19, 11:21 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
You're on a roll with these song parodies, @Bandera!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-12-19, 03:06 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The V shape isn't terribly aerodynamic anyway. A V shaped rim can be strong though.

A U shaped rim profile is going to be more aero.
Old 08-12-19, 03:57 PM
nightfly

Fortunately aerodynamics doesn't come into play when you are walking your sweet fixie up to the coffee shop or bar where the advantages of the deep v really shine through.
Likes For nightfly:
Old 08-12-19, 04:22 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by nightfly
Fortunately aerodynamics doesn't come into play when you are walking your sweet fixie up to the coffee shop or bar where the advantages of the deep v really shine through.
This type of pragmatic reality-based logic is why I love this site and serves as a reminder that I need to ride my chrome Bianchi Pista more.

-Tim-
Old 08-12-19, 10:12 PM
BicycleBicycle

Haha, this thread is fun. Really reminds me of the golden era of bikes. You don't see Deep V's anywhere anymore.
Old 08-17-19, 08:42 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
browsing modern road bikes the wheels look fairly deep these days, especially the carbon variety. maybe deep v's should be renamed average v's.
Likes For REDMASTA:
Old 08-19-19, 10:52 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,131 Times in 1,646 Posts
Deep wheels are for going fast. If that's what you care about then get some. But they're also expensive. Also IME I haven't noticed a difference for anything under 40 mm (including deep V's), then it has started making a difference (for me). The purpose of the depth is to reduce spoke area b/c wind gets caught up and bounces around in there, so depth is #1 . After that width, U-shape and other things like @TimothyH mentioned add up but it's mostly about reducing spoke area (depth).

Also if you care about going fast, tires and tubes actually make more of a difference then rim depth and they're cheaper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.