Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do all softshells restrict arm motion?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 11-11-19, 07:12 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts

Trying to push my riding season a little further into the cold weather, so I'm shopping for a softshell... at least I think that's what I want. I've taken a few rides wearing my Columbia Pouration rain jacket with layers underneath. It's great at stopping the wind, but it's just not breathable enough. I'm pretty sure a softshell will give me what I want - wind protection and breathability. I don't ride in rain or snow, so I'm not worried about being waterproof.

I've been limited in my local options for trying on softshells: a few North Face and Columbia options at Dick's Sporting Goods, and a Bontrager at an LBS. There are things I like about all of them, but they all have one thing in common that I don't like - they restrict arm motion much more than any other jacket I've worn. Even bumping up to the next size doesn't solve the problem; it just leaves more slack to flap in the wind. I wear a hard shell for skiing (has a hood, so I don't want to bike in it), so I've never really paid any attention to softshells before. I'm wondering if that tightness is just something you have to get used to when wearing a softshell, or are there some brands which are more comfortable in that regard?

I realize that for biking the arm motion wouldn't be a big deal. But one reason I'm considering general-purpose softshells in addition to biking-specific ones is that I could see myself using it for other things, such as skiing or cleaning off the driveway when we have snow. I know there are advantages to biking shells, so I haven't ruled them out altogether. Specifically, I'm considering the Gore C3 Windstopper Classic Thermo Jacket. I just wish there were some place locally I could try one one.

Last edited by AU Tiger; 11-11-19 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-11-19, 07:53 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I have a Giro that is just a windblocker, no insulation. It has some looseness to it but not so much that is flaps around. I use it quite often.
Old 11-11-19, 08:59 PM
AU Tiger

Originally Posted by delbiker1
I have a Giro that is just a windblocker, no insulation. It has some looseness to it but not so much that is flaps around. I use it quite often.
I don't mind the lack of insulation - happy to use layering for that.

Do you know what model it is? Is it the Stow? I like the concept of that one, but it doesn't look like they have any high-visibility color options.

Last edited by AU Tiger; 11-11-19 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-12-19, 03:45 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I cannot remember the model name. I looked at the jacket and it does not have the name on it. I usually cut tags off. Mine is a bright blue, mildly shiny, and is perforated in the lower back. IIRC, it also came in red and yellow/green. I have had it a couple of years.
Old 12-07-19, 08:30 AM
AU Tiger

I ordered the Endura Windchill Jacket, the Gore C3 Windstopper Soft Shell, the Gore C3 Windstopper Classic Thermo Jacket, and eventually the Gore C5 Windstopper Thermo Jacket in order to compare them.
  • Despite my chest measurement being just under the middle of the size range for the Endura size L, it was incredibly tight. And the quality of it just didn't feel like it compared to the Gore jackets; I don't think it would last as long. Also, even though the color is called "high-viz green", it didn't seem nearly as high-viz as the yellow on the Gore jackets. That's a big deal to me when riding in the winter, since it's usually overcast when I get my rides in after work. I ride with lights on my bike, but high-viz clothing is a big plus I think.
  • The C3 Soft Shell fit great - enough room for two thin layers underneath, but not so much that it will flap around when riding. The only catch is that it has no insulation, so all warmth will need to come from layers not from the jacket itself.
  • The C3 Thermo Jacket had a nice layer of thin fleece insulation, but it was too loose in the chest even though it fit well everywhere else. This seemed strange to me, since it's in the same line as the C3 Soft Shell; but the fit was definitely different for those two jackets.
  • I ordered the C5 Windstopper Thermo Jacket after being unhappy with the fit of the C3 Thermo Jacket, figuring the C5 line would be slightly more form-fitting than the C3 line. And it was indeed. Turned out to be exactly what I was looking for. Fits snug, but not restricting, with enough room for a couple of layers without flapping around.
Since I got a good price on them with the Black Friday sale, I decided to keep both the C5 Thermo and the C3 Soft Shell. Both of them give me the fit I was looking for - form-fitting without being tight or restricting my movement. The Soft Shell will be nice when it's cool but not cold, and the Thermo is absolutely perfect for my winter riding. I wore it on a 22-mile ride with temps in the mid-30s and winds around 15-20 mph earlier this week, and I have to say that the Windstopper material is the real deal. I could feel the pressure of the wind, but it did not bite or cut through the jacket at all. And it breathes very well - wicked the sweat away quickly enough that I never felt cold from being damp, even though I did quite a bit of climbing on that ride.

So to answer my own question - no, not all soft shells restrict movement. It's probably just a matter of finding which products fit your particular body the best.

Last edited by AU Tiger; 12-07-19 at 10:37 AM.