Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

What's the lifespan of a helmet?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 04-21-20, 04:48 AM
streetartmadrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In general terms, how long should they be used? Have you ever bought a new one?
Old 04-21-20, 09:41 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
I personally have never bought a new helmet. I moved to Oregon in 2008 and my wife and I joined a tandem club which insisted on helmets on their group rides. I bought us both close-out Giro helmets from a previous model year and I have been using mine ever since. My wife left hers in her gym locker last year and was forced to buy a new one. I 'may' buy one like it so we match again on the tandem but it is not a priority. Until it is 'used', a helmet should not need replacement. Ours have never been 'used' despite the fact that we are on a bike every single day, rain or shine, while wearing a helmet. As you can see, I make a distinction between using (wearing) a helmet, and 'using' (crushing) a helmet. Try not to 'use' your helmet, if at all possible, and it can serve you well for a very long time. Mine is very handy for mounting a rearview mirror. I might not bother using it at all were it not for that feature since we no longer ride in a club.
Old 04-21-20, 12:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by streetartmadrid
In general terms, how long should they be used? Have you ever bought a new one?

There was a long contentious thread a couple months back on whether manufacturers' recommendations that your helmet should be replaced every 3-5 years should be taken seriously.

I take the position that if they don't put sell-by dates on their helmets, then they're acknowledging that the materials don't really have a significant rate of deterioration, and if your helmet appears to be ok, it almost certainly is.
Old 04-21-20, 12:41 PM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Years ago helmet materials deteriorated over time but that hasn't been the case for 20 years. Helmets purchased somewhat recently should be good to go for a long time with a few exceptions:
  • Check your helmet for issues from time to time. Even dropping a helmet can cause issues so it's best to look it over.
  • If you've been in an accident (even minor in nature) the helmet should be replaced.
  • If you're into BMX or single track riding be particularly mindful of anything that could damage the helmet.
  • The life of your helmet will be considerably shorter if you keep it in a car or garage where it could be subject to considerable climate changes.

Last edited by Tony P.; 04-21-20 at 02:19 PM.
Likes For Tony P.:
Old 04-22-20, 10:07 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony P.
Years ago helmet materials deteriorated over time but that hasn't been the case for 20 years. Helmets purchased somewhat recently should be good to go for a long time with a few exceptions:
  • Check your helmet for issues from time to time. Even dropping a helmet can cause issues so it's best to look it over.
  • If you've been in an accident (even minor in nature) the helmet should be replaced.
  • If you're into BMX or single track riding be particularly mindful of anything that could damage the helmet.
  • The life of your helmet will be considerably shorter if you keep it in a car or garage where it could be subject to considerable climate changes.
It can be quite surprising that fall from a bicycle handlebar standing still can break a chunk off a helmet. I had that happen once. It really made me wonder about helmet materials. I forget what make of helmet that was.

When riding off-road I wear my hardshell helmet.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 04-28-20, 06:23 PM
prighello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've been using a 10 year old helmet. Other than the pads that wear out I have replaced there is no obvious signs of wear. I hope it is still good.
Old 04-29-20, 05:48 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I'd like to find new pads for my helmet. The previous helmet wore out because the plastic outer skin began getting brittle and cracking apart. The new one is probably 10 years old, and still just fine except that the pads are nearly gone.
Old 04-29-20, 05:52 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I've bought 3 in the last 2 years, all Lazers: Z1, Bullet, and G1 MIPS. (My team keeps changing colors unfortunately)
Old 04-29-20, 06:24 PM
prighello

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I'd like to find new pads for my helmet. The previous helmet wore out because the plastic outer skin began getting brittle and cracking apart. The new one is probably 10 years old, and still just fine except that the pads are nearly gone.
I was able to locate replacement pads for my Bell on Amazon. That was a few years ago now and I need new ones again. Not sure if they are still available.
Old 04-30-20, 01:53 PM
BuckeyeRider
Banned.

Bikes: No name builds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I generally replace every 5 years or so. By that time they are usually somewhat beaten up, and I know plastics do oxidize and deteriorate. But honestly I don't think you'd lose much effectiveness going past recommendations.
Old 05-08-20, 12:06 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Interesting question, I'd also be interested in the lifespan of the helmet wearer
Likes For Pratt:
Old 05-10-20, 08:25 PM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
Helmets do wear out and should be replaced, probably every 3-5 years. All plastics degrade with exposure to UV. There are UV blockers that can help, but none are permanent. Want to see an example of this, headlight lenses that have yellowed. This is a direct result of UV exposure. My hard hats at work are only good for a certain number of years. If memory is correct 5 for plastic and 7 for fiberglass.

Last edited by Melvang; 05-10-20 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Autocorrect error
Old 05-11-20, 04:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
I have bought a bunch of new helmets fairly recently I typically replace every 5 years or so. I typically wear a cycling cap and take care of my helmets. I currently own a Laser Z1, Lazer Revolution, ABUS Gamechanger and still have my old Giro Synthe which I rarely ride with and more just keep around because it was my first really nice helmet. I would never buy a used helmet from anyone ever for any reason no matter what the deal was. I will never know what that person has done with that helmet, if they have dropped it or crashed in it or even taken care of it. It is a risk I have no interest in taking.
Old 05-13-20, 05:02 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Generally I replaced helmets because they become "scuzzy" from use and sweat. Heck even the paint on my bike suffers from my sweat... It seems to eat through a particular place on the top tube. Acid Sweat! Yikes. So yes, every 5-7 years I generally buy a new helmet... Although the last one is about 13 years old now... (got a manufactured date in it) I don't daily commute any more.
Old 05-14-20, 05:50 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
1,247 days.
Unless ofc you crash and it takes damage.
In that case, 1,244 days.
Old 05-15-20, 01:10 AM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Here is an article on this: When Do Bicycle Helmets Expire?
It says about 5 years.

Why choose 5 years?

The Snell Foundation came up with this number based on their own findings and those of helmet manufacturers. They came to this number based on three general factors. Factor #1 is that some of the materials used to build the helmet naturally begin to degrade over time. Factor #2 is that over the course of 5 years a helmet will come into contact with sunblock, hair oils, cleaners, body fluids, and other cosmetics that attribute to the wear and tear of a helmet. Factor #3 is that the industry is constantly improving helmets in design, materials, and standards. A helmet from this year is more likely to be safer than a never worn helmet from five years ago.
My question is: What about a brand new helmet that one stores in the original box intact at home and has never used? I suppose it will be fine to use it after more than 5 years since it's not exposed to UV light or impact? (the reason I ask is that I have several brand new helmets that I like and will keep)
Old 05-18-20, 05:55 AM
Tony P.

Originally Posted by vol
Here is an article on this: When Do Bicycle Helmets Expire?
It says about 5 years.

My question is: What about a brand new helmet that one stores in the original box intact at home and has never used? I suppose it will be fine to use it after more than 5 years since it's not exposed to UV light or impact? (the reason I ask is that I have several brand new helmets that I like and will keep)
Here's some information published in the Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. Basically, it shows that old helmets (up to 26 years old) without damage provided protection.

Helmet Impact Performance Proven to Hold Up for Decades

There are reasons to replace your helmet, but simple age is not one of them.

Extensive testing of used (but not crashed) bicycle helmets shows that the foam liners retain their performance over many years. MEA Forensic announced at a May ASTM F08.53 technical meeting the results of their testing of 675 bicycle helmets, some as old as 26 years. "There is no justification for two to ten year replacement recommendations based on impact performance," said MEA's Alyssa DeMarco.

MEA and collaborator Collision Analysis collected 1,500 used helmets from consumers and eliminated any that showed damage or did not have date of manufacture stickers. The helmets studied had dates that ranged from 1987 to 2013. They crash tested them at 3 m/s (a drop of 1.5 ft.) and 6.2 m/s (a drop of 2 meters--the CPSC standard drop) on a flat anvil in the dry ambient condition. There were only four that exceeded the 300g maximum threshold: three of the oldest models made to meet only the old ANSI standard, and one newer model that had been recalled. So 671 of the helmets passed the current CPSC impact performance standard.

MEA's analysis showed that there was no significant impact performance change with age. Their 26 year data including all 675 helmets tested produced only a 0.7g per year increase in impact readings at the higher drop height. On average, road helmet models produced results 40g lower than skate-style models, and extra-small helmets were 21g lower than large helmets. Lower g's registered in the headform means less shock passed through to the head, but since they are averages they may not apply for a particular helmet model.

After crash testing the helmets on a standard test rig, MEA took core samples from an uncrashed area of 63 of the helmets and tested them at the equivalent of a 6.2 m/s helmet impact. This generated data based solely on the foam performance. They collected stress and strain data related to aging of the foam. Again, the findings indicate that helmet liner foam does not deteriorate with age.

MEA usually publishes their studies in a peer-reviewed journal, but that can be a slow process.

This is the first time anyone has applied rigorous science to assessing the effects of age on helmet foam liners. It is a welcome antidote to the strident marketing claims that foam deteriorates with age. There are other reasons to replace a helmet--crash damage, strap deterioration, improving fit--but simple aging of the foam liner is not one of them.

April, 2016 - the study is now published in the Journal of Biomechanical Engineering.
Likes For Tony P.:
Old 05-18-20, 09:14 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Here's some information published in the Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. Basically, it shows that old helmets (up to 26 years old) without damage provided protection.
Thanks. Good to know, and good to see some input from sources not motivated by sales.
Likes For vol:
Old 05-18-20, 09:29 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
I have two road helmets. One sticker says 2004, the other says 2018. I can’t tell the difference in condition between them other than 2004 is a bit more scratched up. Please don’t tell the helmet police.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 05-24-20, 09:07 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts

Helmet Impact Performance Proven to Hold Up for Decades

There are reasons to replace your helmet, but simple age is not one of them.

Extensive testing of used (but not crashed) bicycle helmets shows that the foam liners retain their performance over many years. MEA Forensic announced at a May ASTM F08.53 technical meeting the results of their testing of 675 bicycle helmets, some as old as 26 years. "There is no justification for two to ten year replacement recommendations based on impact performance," said MEA's Alyssa DeMarco.

MEA and collaborator Collision Analysis collected 1,500 used helmets from consumers and eliminated any that showed damage or did not have date of manufacture stickers. The helmets studied had dates that ranged from 1987 to 2013. They crash tested them at 3 m/s (a drop of 1.5 ft.) and 6.2 m/s (a drop of 2 meters--the CPSC standard drop) on a flat anvil in the dry ambient condition. There were only four that exceeded the 300g maximum threshold: three of the oldest models made to meet only the old ANSI standard, and one newer model that had been recalled. So 671 of the helmets passed the current CPSC impact performance standard.

MEA's analysis showed that there was no significant impact performance change with age. Their 26 year data including all 675 helmets tested produced only a 0.7g per year increase in impact readings at the higher drop height. On average, road helmet models produced results 40g lower than skate-style models, and extra-small helmets were 21g lower than large helmets. Lower g's registered in the headform means less shock passed through to the head, but since they are averages they may not apply for a particular helmet model.

After crash testing the helmets on a standard test rig, MEA took core samples from an uncrashed area of 63 of the helmets and tested them at the equivalent of a 6.2 m/s helmet impact. This generated data based solely on the foam performance. They collected stress and strain data related to aging of the foam. Again, the findings indicate that helmet liner foam does not deteriorate with age.

MEA usually publishes their studies in a peer-reviewed journal, but that can be a slow process.

This is the first time anyone has applied rigorous science to assessing the effects of age on helmet foam liners. It is a welcome antidote to the strident marketing claims that foam deteriorates with age. There are other reasons to replace a helmet--crash damage, strap deterioration, improving fit--but simple aging of the foam liner is not one of them.

April, 2016 - the study is now published in the Journal of Biomechanical Engineering.

Thanks for sharing that Tony. That's about what I would have suspected.
Old 05-24-20, 11:35 AM
Tony P.

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Thanks for sharing that Tony. That's about what I would have suspected.
Glad to do it. There's a lot of unsupported information out there.

I looked over my post and realized I should have provided some background. The article I provided from the Journal of Biomechanical Engineering says the information was presented to the ASTM FO8.53 Technical Meeting. For those not familiar, ASTM is an international standards and testing organization headquartered in Pennsylvania. They are organized by specialty and FO8 is the segment related to sports equipment. FO8.53 is the sports equipment sub-committee for helmets and headgear. Thus, the presentation was given before experts in the field of helmet protection.

Last edited by Tony P.; 05-24-20 at 03:13 PM.
Likes For Tony P.:
Old 05-24-20, 05:46 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
You don't need to replace a helmet every 3 to 5 years, that's just a way for manufacturers to take more money from you. There three ways to know it's time to replace your helmet; one is if you had an accident and hit your head get another helmet even if you can't see any damage to the foam, it may be compressed and not noticeable; second is the foam as it gets to its end of its useful life it will begin to deposit small bits of the foam onto your forehead; third is if the padding gets worn out and there is no replacement padding available.