Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can V-brakes clear 2.4" tires?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-20, 01:59 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts

I want to know in case I get into frame building.
Old 06-08-20, 04:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Magura Will , they are hydraulic rim brakes that fit on V bake posts..

explain ;
I want to know, in case I get into frame building.
Accidentally?

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-09-20 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-08-20, 05:07 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
I've run V-brakes with a 2.4" tire before. I don't know if it was a "true" 2.4 but it was many years ago so I can't verify it.

I currently have two bikes with two different knobby 2.35" tires and V-brakes work just fine with enough room to be safe.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Magura Will , they are hydraulic rim brakes that fit on V bake posts..
Seriously, does anyone actually use these? You mention them nearly every time there is a brake question.
Likes For FastJake:
Old 06-08-20, 06:01 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
Huh. You might want to consult other local frame builders. No shortage in the Montreal area
Old 06-08-20, 08:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
What the, huh? In case I get into it? That is such an odd statement. Are you interested in becoming a frame builder or do you believe in your love of bicycles you will just magically fall into frame building?

You could probably make linear pull brakes fit most anything. You may need to design some stuff but I bet you could make it work with really wide stuff.
Old 06-09-20, 07:38 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
What the, huh? In case I get into it? That is such an odd statement. Are you interested in becoming a frame builder or do you believe in your love of bicycles you will just magically fall into frame building?

You could probably make linear pull brakes fit most anything. You may need to design some stuff but I bet you could make it work with really wide stuff.
It might sound like an odd statement to you but in the circus that is my brain, it takes me a while to make a decision. I just can't find the bike I'd want.
Old 06-11-20, 03:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
It might sound like an odd statement to you but in the circus that is my brain, it takes me a while to make a decision. I just can't find the bike I'd want.
There are so many builders out there it is tough beyond tough. If I had my druthers and a bank account to match I would probably get one from each.
Old 06-11-20, 07:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake

Seriously, does anyone actually use these? You mention them nearly every time there is a brake question.
A lot of them in Europe, (German precision die casting) reliable daily rider bikes ..
they've been in production for at least 25 years . The least fussy rim brake I've ever used.
12 years all I ever did was replace the snap in place brake pads, once I put them on. the V posts..

Old 06-11-20, 08:17 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If you do build that frame, you really should consider disc brakes. Depending on how long you procrastinate, you might find it tough to find v-brakes, or more importantly, v-brake compatible rims.

John
Old 06-11-20, 08:39 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
If you do build that frame, you really should consider disc brakes. Depending on how long you procrastinate, you might find it tough to find v-brakes, or more importantly, v-brake compatible rims.
Nah, there are a ton of V-brake options and plenty of rim choices in nearly every size. No need to ruin a custom frame with an inferior type of brake type out of fear of components not being available (since they are available.)