Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help me buy a new bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Help me buy a new bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 11:00 AM
jema123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Help me buy a new bike

Let me start by saying that I used to be into cycling and did some amateur racing in my 20s. It is now two decades later and time for a new bike. For a decade I managed some centuries and recreational rides with my lightweight steel bike but now everything would need to be replaced and I think I deserver a new bike. I did like steel and the fact that it's lasted as long as it did. I've been researching a bit about AL and Carbon but I'm not sure what I should get. I'm open to steel again but I can't afford Titanium.

What my bike needs are now: Endurance. I want to ride for exercise and recreation. I want to ride centuries and long distances. I'm older and wouldn't mind extra gears for hill climbing. I don't want to buy a bike every few years. I want it to last as long as possible.

I would like at least Shimano 105. I previously rode with Campy Veloce but I haven't seen many in SoCal that have it. I would imagine I would get used to the gear changing. Feel free to educate me on other types of group sets.

In my head I really thought Cannondale or Trek were the bikes I should be looking at but they are rather expensive.

Are there some bikes that you would think would fit my criteria? Other brands you recommend?

Last question is why are so many shops out of bikes? I know it's a pandemic but cycling is what everyone is doing in my part of the world. Are they sold out or just unable to be built?

budget:$1200
up to $1700 if carbon fiber

Last edited by jema123; 06-15-20 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Left out budget
Old 06-15-20, 06:12 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
You don't give a budget but have a look at what I call "B" brands. The brands that are not Trek, Cannondale, Specialized and Giant. Try Scott, Fuji, Felt, Jamis, Norco, Kona and others. Also have a look at Bikes Direct if you want to lessen the cost even more. Don't rule out second hand bikes if money is a concern. The choices are endless.

The pandemic has put a damper on availability. This is the reality. If you still have your old bike, I would suggest using that until things cool down and inventory goes back up.
Old 06-15-20, 06:40 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
what size do you think you need and I will look around. Trek will be put of that price range. An Al trek with 105 is 1900. Maybe a Specialized Allez?
Cannondale CAAD 13 with 105 is 1900 at my local bike shop.
Old 06-15-20, 06:41 PM
jema123

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by blakcloud
You don't give a budget but have a look at what I call "B" brands. The brands that are not Trek, Cannondale, Specialized and Giant. Try Scott, Fuji, Felt, Jamis, Norco, Kona and others. Also have a look at Bikes Direct if you want to lessen the cost even more. Don't rule out second hand bikes if money is a concern. The choices are endless.

The pandemic has put a damper on availability. This is the reality. If you still have your old bike, I would suggest using that until things cool down and inventory goes back up.
My Old bike needs new wheels. Has a rusted chain to get a new one I would need a new crank and derailer I was told. I check bike exchange daily and there was one in my size and budget and near enough for me to drive to but I didn’t act soon enough - it was a kestrel talon x shimano in my size, but it’s gone now. Is bike direct legit? Seems too good to be true.

i see Scott and Fuji at shops but I never see anyone riding those bikes.

Last edited by jema123; 06-15-20 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-15-20, 06:44 PM
jema123

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bampilot06
what size do you think you need and I will look around. Trek will be put of that price range. An Al trek with 105 is 1900. Maybe a Specialized Allez?
Cannondale CAAD 13 with 105 is 1900 at my local bike shop.
I’m 5’4” and a half. My last bike was a 52. I was considering a bianchi which I was told 50 was good for me and European bikes run large.
Old 06-15-20, 06:51 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...ts-section-tab

one idea. Has the 105 but it is Aluminum.
Old 06-23-20, 09:29 AM
jema123

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I’m back

So I have went to all the shops and told about the bike shortage and how everyone is sold out. This is true online I can’t find what I want either. I don’t necessarily want to wait to August and then I’ve missed months of riding and will be back at work. Now I’m thinking about rebuilding a bike with my old frame.

id rather have something new and flashy but it is what it is. The shimano 105 set and new wheels plus a shop to assemble it in? Could I get this done under $1000. Are parts available. One shop said they were all backed up and problem couldn’t get to it for some time.

is my steel frame up to it. Is it fatigued after about 4-6 good years of riding and then a decade of maybe intermittent rare rides and sitting around the house. Can a shop tell me how much life is left in it.

thanks for any advice.
Old 06-23-20, 09:56 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Another reason disks are bad, they add to the cost of bikes quite a lot

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/al...ext=90020-4244

$1350 MSRP if you can find one or wait for one. Going to rim brakes saves $500 vs that caad13 or trek

Going to disk brakes only for many brands really killed off the aluminum 105 bike at a great price point, sure people seem to love hydraulic brakes but is it worth a $500 premium on a $1300 bike**********?
Old 06-23-20, 10:13 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
Originally Posted by jema123
My Old bike needs new wheels. Has a rusted chain to get a new one I would need a new crank and derailer I was told. I check bike exchange daily and there was one in my size and budget and near enough for me to drive to but I didn’t act soon enough - it was a kestrel talon x shimano in my size, but it’s gone now. Is bike direct legit? Seems too good to be true.

i see Scott and Fuji at shops but I never see anyone riding those bikes.
Considering that you mainly are looking to ride for exercise and recreation, I'd look closer at fixing up your old bike rather than spend all your money on something just because it's available. Why do you need new wheels? Replacing a rusted chain should not require replacing a derailleur and crank, or do those need to be replaced due to wear?
Old 06-23-20, 10:18 AM
jema123

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Considering that you mainly are looking to ride for exercise and recreation, I'd look closer at fixing up your old bike rather than spend all your money on something just because it's available. Why do you need new wheels? Replacing a rusted chain should not require replacing a derailleur and crank, or do those need to be replaced due to wear?
the bike shop had recommended that. I was told a new chain wouldn't work on my other parts due to how they have been worn. The bike is about 20 years old.
The wheels are 20 years old.
Old 06-23-20, 10:35 AM
jema123

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What about the colnago C Rs 105 2020 they seem to be instock. WIll have to have it assembled in store after purchased

I can’t post pictures yet. But it’s 1500
Old 06-23-20, 11:51 AM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
You have had good luck with steel. How about this:
Bikes direct Gran Premio Pro: Reynolds 853, Ultegra 8000,
$1699 sizes may be limited. Check it out.
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...road-bikes.htm
Old 06-23-20, 02:28 PM
pullings

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
You could buy a nice used bike......Identify a few models your interested in and wait for a good deal on Craigslist or Nextdoor. I ended up buying a used 2014 $1600 (list) Giant Defy for $350. It was practically barely used when I bought it in 2018.
After riding it for two years I had a really good idea of what new bike I really wanted......unfortunately CV19 hit and all online deals and even bike shop inventory dried up.
So I spent $850 to upgrade to 1X groupset and carbon wheels. Sold old parts on craigslist for $300.
Old 06-23-20, 02:32 PM
jema123

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pullings
You could buy a nice used bike......Identify a few models your interested in and wait for a good deal on Craigslist or Nextdoor. I ended up buying a used 2014 $1600 (list) Giant Defy for $350. It was practically barely used when I bought it in 2018.
After riding it for two years I had a really good idea of what new bike I really wanted......unfortunately CV19 hit and all online deals and even bike shop inventory dried up.
So I spent $850 to upgrade to 1X groupset and carbon wheels. Sold old parts on craigslist for $300.
yesterday I actually looked through Craigslist and didn’t find anything in my size. I will keep an eye on it but I’m nervous about being able to tell if something is good or bad as I’m no pro. Whether bike was in crash and frame damaged. But I will keep checking it out. Gives me a good idea of what resale value and different bikes people are riding and maybe I’ll find something cheap enough to be worth the risk or they will meet me at a shop with it.
Old 06-23-20, 08:41 PM
vlad1xxi

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
yesterday I actually looked through Craigslist and didn’t find anything in my size. I will keep an eye on it but I’m nervous about being able to tell if something is good or bad as I’m no pro. Whether bike was in crash and frame damaged. But I will keep checking it out. Gives me a good idea of what resale value and different bikes people are riding and maybe I’ll find something cheap enough to be worth the risk or they will meet me at a shop with it.
Look at Cannondale CAAD Optimo 105. Price is in your range. This is entry level race Aluminum bike with Shimano 105 components. To make it endurance bike You will need mostly to put stem on it with higher angle in order to make you position more upright.

Last edited by vlad1xxi; 06-23-20 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-24-20, 01:02 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
yesterday I actually looked through Craigslist and didn’t find anything in my size.
Some options?
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...146743593.html
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sg...145794629.html
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...146010330.html
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...147666928.html
https://ventura.craigslist.org/bik/d...131900797.html