Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Getting back into SS - recommendations for city commuting / cruising around town?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Getting back into SS - recommendations for city commuting / cruising around town?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-20, 03:26 PM
DrewShannon

Bikes: 2012 Mercier Kilo TT (black)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well, it's been over 7 years since my last post here, and now that it's beautiful summer weather here in SoCal, I'm looking to get back into the Single-Speed world.
  • 34 year old dude, will be commuting about 2 miles each way once the quarantine is over. I'm 6' and 180lbs.
  • Speed and long-distances aren't super important to me. Mostly looking for something fun and comfortable to ride to the beach (probably something with a fairly relaxed geometry and upright riding posture)
  • I'm open to doing some mods myself, but not looking for a project bike to endlessly fiddle with
  • Budget - $500 - $750
I've owned a few BikesDirect bikes, and am open to buying a Kilo WT or something, but I haven't been paying attention much over the last few years, so I'm not sure if the story has changed.

Thanks!
Old 06-29-20, 08:43 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by DrewShannon
Well, it's been over 7 years since my last post here, and now that it's beautiful summer weather here in SoCal, I'm looking to get back into the Single-Speed world.
  • 34 year old dude, will be commuting about 2 miles each way once the quarantine is over. I'm 6' and 180lbs.
  • Speed and long-distances aren't super important to me. Mostly looking for something fun and comfortable to ride to the beach (probably something with a fairly relaxed geometry and upright riding posture)
  • I'm open to doing some mods myself, but not looking for a project bike to endlessly fiddle with
  • Budget - $500 - $750
I've owned a few BikesDirect bikes, and am open to buying a Kilo WT or something, but I haven't been paying attention much over the last few years, so I'm not sure if the story has changed.

Thanks!
Welcome back! The WT is a good package, and I have considered one for a bike to handle larger tires. It's rumored that the geometry is the same as the steamroller. It's a solid package for the price IMO.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 06-29-20, 08:51 PM
acoustophile

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 59 Posts
I would get a kilo Wtt, change out the tires to 38c's, and throw a raised moustache bar on it.
Old 06-30-20, 05:40 AM
funbuffalo24

Bikes: '09 Jamis Aurora elite, '01 Jamis Quest, '97 Trek Y3, '87 Bianchi Sport SX, '96 Bianchi San Remo

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
BianchiUSA has the Gitane Citilink frames in 58cm right now for $100 plus shipping in Black or creme. It's basically a rebadged San Jose frame, which is the same geometry and frame material as their cantilever Volpe, but with track dropouts. I ordered two and shipping was an additional $89 for fedex ground. So, $200 for the frame and you still have $300+ for the buildout.
Likes For funbuffalo24:
Old 06-30-20, 08:11 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by acoustophile
I would get a kilo Wtt, change out the tires to 38c's, and throw a raised moustache bar on it.
Sounds like a good plan to me!
Old 06-30-20, 11:03 AM
DrewShannon

Bikes: 2012 Mercier Kilo TT (black)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Senrab62
Welcome back! The WT is a good package, and I have considered one for a bike to handle larger tires. It's rumored that the geometry is the same as the steamroller. It's a solid package for the price IMO.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Originally Posted by acoustophile
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Sounds like a good plan to me!
Thanks all, glad to hear that BikesDirect still gets high marks!

Originally Posted by funbuffalo24
BianchiUSA has the Gitane Citilink frames in 58cm right now for $100 plus shipping in Black or creme. It's basically a rebadged San Jose frame, which is the same geometry and frame material as their cantilever Volpe, but with track dropouts. I ordered two and shipping was an additional $89 for fedex ground. So, $200 for the frame and you still have $300+ for the buildout.
Thanks! I'm somewhat tempted, but unfortunately don't have the know-how to wrench on my own bike at the moment. Are there any resources you'd recommend I check out to start getting up to speed so I can rethink this at some point in the future?
Likes For DrewShannon:
Old 06-30-20, 11:15 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
buy an unabused used > SURLY or ALL CITY or WABI or whatever looks right >>> you get more bike for the buck
Old 07-01-20, 06:47 AM
funbuffalo24

Bikes: '09 Jamis Aurora elite, '01 Jamis Quest, '97 Trek Y3, '87 Bianchi Sport SX, '96 Bianchi San Remo

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
DrewShannon, as far as to recommendations a quick google search can be of an immense help. Googling Santa Monica just now it looks like there's a place called the 'bike whisperer' in Venice that does repairs, builds, and reuse of parts. I'd look to see if you have a local community bike nonprofit that would let you come in and wrench on your bike or teach you how to repair your bike for a small annual fee. I know we have one here with a full workshop and although I have every tool imaginable to repair a bike, I still spend the $34 annually to support the good guys here. I'm also jealous of your locale; I remember living in Malibu almost 18 years ago on a 3 month work assignment, and bombing up and down Malibu canyon rd to the park and smoking brake pads on the descent with a stop at Malibu Castle to cool off before the last two miles home, though I hear it burnt to the ground in the '07 fires.