Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

My son is moving to Sacramento

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 05-25-20, 05:59 AM
bmwjoe

Bikes: Pinarello FP Due, Cesare track bike modified for the street.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 25 Posts

My son has accepted an internship in Sacramento CA. He will be working about 4 miles from where he works. Looking at Google maps it appears Sacramento is flatter than 2-day old beer. This seems like the perfect commute for a single speed. My son is not a rider, but he is a hipster and it would do him good to ride. I think a single speed with flat bars would work. Now if it was for me, I would go straight for Wabi and be done with it. However, at $1000 opening bid that is too dear.

Any suggestions for an inexpensive single speed with flat or mustache bars that is available mail order? I am looking for something that is inexpensive and practical.

Ride Safe,

Joe
Old 05-25-20, 08:20 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Motobecane Outcast Uno from Bikesdirect. $299 or $399 for the Pro with forged cranks and hydraulic brakes.

Cyclocross tough. Several folks on the forum have them.

Mercier Kilo TT and WT are also popular gateway drugs.

Last edited by aggiegrads; 05-25-20 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-25-20, 08:28 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Sacramento is anything but flat to the east. Hopefully your son can find a place a little east of town. I used to live here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folsom,_California

It's basically at the foot of the Sierras, and endless climbing in all directions. Plus a river trail bike path that will take you downtown, I believe. It's a true cyclist's paradise if you get yourself situated in the right area. From Folsom, keep going east and you wind up at Lake Tahoe.
Old 05-25-20, 10:55 PM
TwoWheelTony

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live in Rancho Cordova which is slightly East of Sacramento (incorporated suburb? maybe 5-10 minutes from downtown Sac) and it is very flat and a cyclists dream (there is even a 30+ mile paved bike/walking trail along the American river if your feeling spicy), most streets around me have a generous "bike lane" (paved shoulder) there are even several bike groups on Facebook that do "ride parties" lots of amenities well within riding distance. I ride an upgraded Windsor "The Hour" that i purchased years ago (very cheap but perfectly ride-able out the box, $120ish from bikesdirect) and its difficult for me to even get winded on most rides (just an example of flatness)....grade A mountain biking about an hour up the freeway in Pollock Pines or even Tahoe, lots of riding opportunity.....

Last edited by TwoWheelTony; 05-25-20 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-26-20, 10:27 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 103 Posts
Please don't move the Sacramento. Some of us like it here.

But seriously, depending on where his internship is, I would be thinking about bike security. If he is working Downtown make sure he has off street bike parking if possible. Feel free to reach out directly if you need anything. I'm a former bike pedestrian planner for several cities in the region. I'm happy to help him find a good safe route.

Last edited by Cynikal; 05-26-20 at 04:51 PM.
Likes For Cynikal:
Old 05-30-20, 05:25 AM
bmwjoe

Originally Posted by TwoWheelTony
I live in Rancho Cordova which is slightly East of Sacramento (incorporated suburb? maybe 5-10 minutes from downtown Sac) and it is very flat and a cyclists dream (there is even a 30+ mile paved bike/walking trail along the American river if your feeling spicy), most streets around me have a generous "bike lane" (paved shoulder) there are even several bike groups on Facebook that do "ride parties" lots of amenities well within riding distance. I ride an upgraded Windsor "The Hour" that i purchased years ago (very cheap but perfectly ride-able out the box, $120ish from bikesdirect) and its difficult for me to even get winded on most rides (just an example of flatness)....grade A mountain biking about an hour up the freeway in Pollock Pines or even Tahoe, lots of riding opportunity.....
Thanks for the tips on bikes direct models. He will be living and working just east of the city on Tallho Dr. Google maps makes it look flatter than 2-day old beer. He is not a cyclist, but a 4.1 mile commute on flat roads looks dooable.

Ride Safe,

Joe
Likes For bmwjoe:
Old 05-30-20, 10:58 AM
TwoWheelTony

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you mean Tallyho Dr in the Rosemont area thats a funny coincidence, i live about 2 miles from that exact road in the area of Bradshaw Rd/Mather Airport... i do not recommend riding west on Kiefer Blvd between South Watt Ave to Florin Perkins Rd as i have had a few close calls with drivers....better to go around to Folsom Blvd and continue the route
Old 06-01-20, 04:18 AM
bmwjoe

Originally Posted by TwoWheelTony
If you mean Tallyho Dr in the Rosemont area thats a funny coincidence, i live about 2 miles from that exact road in the area of Bradshaw Rd/Mather Airport... i do not recommend riding west on Kiefer Blvd between South Watt Ave to Florin Perkins Rd as i have had a few close calls with drivers....better to go around to Folsom Blvd and continue the route
Yep. That is the place. Near the high school. I will be driving to Chicago where he lives now mid-June then driving with him to Sacramento. If things go well I will have an extra day or two in Sacramento. I would like to rent a road bike and go riding on the extra day. I will bring my pedals and shoes. Is there a shop in the area that rents bikes?
Old 06-01-20, 10:26 AM
TwoWheelTony

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmwjoe
Yep. That is the place. Near the high school. I will be driving to Chicago where he lives now mid-June then driving with him to Sacramento. If things go well I will have an extra day or two in Sacramento. I would like to rent a road bike and go riding on the extra day. I will bring my pedals and shoes. Is there a shop in the area that rents bikes?

The only shop i know of that rents is Folsom Bike near the Folsom Dam, its maybe a 20 minute drive total East up Highway 50 then you can take Folsom Blvd the rest of the way. Coincidentally, that shop is also right at the beginning of the 30+ mile paved Jedediah Smith Memorial biking/walking trail...
Old 06-25-20, 10:36 PM
bmwjoe

I called a bunch of bike shops in Sacramento and no way would they rent considering Covid-19. I Googled "bike share in Sacramento" and Practical Bikes in Folsom popped up. They had a fleet of aluminum hybrids that looked decent. I did the deal 100% on line and it was smooth. When I showed up the bike was there. I screwed on my pedals (speedplay), adjusted the seat and off I went. The first day I went up to Folsom lake via the Johnny Cash trail then to the park at the lake. I returned along the American River Trail. It was about 48 miles of great riding. Today I went down to the trail again and rode into Sacramento proper and did a loop of the city, which was fun. After lunch I rode back up to Folsom to return the bike, about 66 miles total. The only bad part was it got stinkin' hot, 102F. All in all I had a great time. It would have been much better on my fixed gear, but geared riding is much better than no riding.
Old 06-26-20, 04:34 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Really nice area up there, used to visit when I lived in the Bay Area. I live right by the mountains in SoCal now and am jealous of folks having the option to NOT climb your arse off every ride.
Old 06-26-20, 04:40 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by bmwjoe
Thanks for the tips on bikes direct models. He will be living and working just east of the city on Tallho Dr. Google maps makes it look flatter than 2-day old beer. He is not a cyclist, but a 4.1 mile commute on flat roads looks dooable.

Ride Safe,

Joe
Yeah, still pancake flat in Rosemont. A single speed is perfect for that.
Old 06-27-20, 08:04 AM
bmwjoe

I did ride his commute ride one morning and it was easy. Flat and fairly easy roads. California is a bit more bike friendly compared to Pennsylvania. I am not sure he is willing to ride to work, but it would be a good thing IMHO.

I had a great time in Sacramento. I rode 115 miles in two days. The only tough bit was the 102F heat.

One of the many bridges on the American River trail

The Johnny Cash trail around Folsom prison

The trail is just 32 miles of very nice!
Likes For bmwjoe:
Old 06-30-20, 06:00 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Sacramento is perfect for single speed
​​​​​​completely pancake flat and relatively bike friendly

I grabbed a nashbar single speed cyclocross bike and use it all over
Bikes direct kilo WT (wide tire) would be a good budget option compared to the wabi
Old 07-01-20, 10:03 AM
MixedRider

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Sacramento is great! Singlespeed, yes! Get a flip/flop hub with an easier gear on one side if he wants to ride to folsom lake or the coastal/wine/beer country.
The American river trail is an awesome spot to ride too!