Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Tire not seating - do I have a the wrong tube/tire size?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-20, 05:13 PM
draxz1289

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Hello,

I have the 2015 Raleigh back alley that came with a 23c tire and tube. I had my local bike shop as per their suggestion upgrade it to a 28c tire and tube but I'm wondering if the rim is too small for the 28c.

I'm have a big low spot on the tire while I ride - surprising only on the back tire - how much ever I try to seat the tire/properly I have a low spot, I even tried the soap method.

Here is an image of the tube fitted on the rim and inflated to 20psi not sure if the gap is an indication of the wrong size.

Any help so really appreciated

​​​​​​

Last edited by draxz1289; 07-01-20 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-01-20, 07:14 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
First off, the 23 and 28 numbers refer to the tire width, not the tire diameter, so this has nothing to do with the tire fitting on the rim. You clearly have the wrong tire size for that rim. Perhaps (probably) the rim is 700c but the tire is 27", which is slightly larger. Look at the tire sidewall. there should be a number (ETRTO) on it that tells you the tire width and size. For example, if the tire is 700 x 28c, meaning that it fits a 700c rim and is 28mm wide, then this number will be 28-622. If it says 27 x 1-1/4, meaning it fits a 27" rim and is 1-1/4" wide, then this number will be 32-630. The first number is the tire width in millimeters and the second number is the tire bead seat diameter in millimeters. As long as the tire bead seat diameter matches the rim bead seat diameter, the tire will fit properly on the rim.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-02-20, 12:54 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by draxz1289
Hello,

I have the 2015 Raleigh back alley that came with a 23c tire and tube. I had my local bike shop as per their suggestion upgrade it to a 28c tire and tube but I'm wondering if the rim is too small for the 28c.

​​​​​​
The diameter of the tire pretty much has to match the diameter of the rim. 700C to 700C etc. It’s very rare to get away with fudging this.
The width of the tire vs the width of the rim is generally far more accommodating. 23 to 28 shouldn’t be a problem. There are charts that list recommended rim/tire width combinations. Or tell us the internal width of your rim.

I'm have a big low spot on the tire while I ride - surprising only on the back tire - how much ever I try to seat the tire/properly I have a low spot, I even tried the soap method.

​​​​​​
There is a tolerance span in the sizes of rims and tires. Some combinations simply will fight you.
Soapy water, inflate-and-wrestle in steps will usually get the job done eventually. In extreme cases, when I’ve known the rim to be the odd one out, I’ve built up the inner diameter of the rim using tape to help center the tire.

Here is an image of the tube fitted on the rim and inflated to 20psi not sure if the gap is an indication of the wrong size.

​​​​​​
That pic doesn’t say anything. Tubes have very little structural strength themselves. They’re MEANT to stretch until they’ve filled the tire.
The tube size is NOT part of your problem. Although getting the reinforcement around the base of the valve caught under the beads might be.

.... I had my local bike shop as per their suggestion upgrade it to a 28c tire and tube.....I'm have a big low spot....

​​​​​​
If they mounted the tire, put your tools down and bring it back. Their pick of parts, their instal, their problem.
Old 07-02-20, 06:58 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

I now realize that your photo is of the tube, not the tire. As @dabac has said, the tube has nothing to do with the tire seating on the rim. When a tube is inflated uncontained by the tire, it will expand to a much larger size than the tire. A 28mm wide tire will usually fit on a rim that previously had a 23mm tire mounted on it, but it can be difficult to mount. Sometimes the tube gets pinched between the tire bead and the rim seat, preventing it from seating. Try inflating the tube slightly inside the tire, before attempting to mount the tire bead. Also, it helps to coat a new tube with talcum powder, to keep it from sticking to the tire casing.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-02-20, 02:24 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
tubes hang like that means nothing
Old 07-02-20, 02:56 PM
draxz1289

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Wow thank you everyone for the reply. As you can see I'm a complete noob.

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
First off, the 23 and 28 numbers refer to the tire width, not the tire diameter, so this has nothing to do with the tire fitting on the rim. You clearly have the wrong tire size for that rim. Perhaps (probably) the rim is 700c but the tire is 27", which is slightly larger. Look at the tire sidewall. there should be a number (ETRTO) on it that tells you the tire width and size. For example, if the tire is 700 x 28c, meaning that it fits a 700c rim and is 28mm wide, then this number will be 28-622. If it says 27 x 1-1/4, meaning it fits a 27" rim and is 1-1/4" wide, then this number will be 32-630. The first number is the tire width in millimeters and the second number is the tire bead seat diameter in millimeters. As long as the tire bead seat diameter matches the rim bead seat diameter, the tire will fit properly on the rim.
The tire has a marking of 28-622c (700x28c) and the replacement tube I bought was the Contitube Race 28 (700c) wide
I just checked the bike spec and looks like it came with Kenda Kadence 700x23c tires so that means I suppose I have the correct size rim, tube and tire.

Originally Posted by dabac
The diameter of the tire pretty much has to match the diameter of the rim. 700C to 700C etc. It’s very rare to get away with fudging this.
The width of the tire vs the width of the rim is generally far more accommodating. 23 to 28 shouldn’t be a problem. There are charts that list recommended rim/tire width combinations. Or tell us the internal width of your rim.

There is a tolerance span in the sizes of rims and tires. Some combinations simply will fight you.
Soapy water, inflate-and-wrestle in steps will usually get the job done eventually. In extreme cases, when I’ve known the rim to be the odd one out, I’ve built up the inner diameter of the rim using tape to help center the tire.

That pic doesn’t say anything. Tubes have very little structural strength themselves. They’re MEANT to stretch until they’ve filled the tire.
The tube size is NOT part of your problem. Although getting the reinforcement around the base of the valve caught under the beads might be.

If they mounted the tire, put your tools down and bring it back. Their pick of parts, their instal, their problem.
Thanks I just checked the old bike spec that came with it and it says Kenda Kadence 700x23c tires so I guess I was wrong about the incorrect sizes. I actually changed the tires last year but didn't ride it - winter and injury - so can't go back for he shop now

I have tried the soap and half inflating and working it out but it's still bumpy at one particular spot.

I now realize that your photo is of the tube, not the tire. As @dabac has said, the tube has nothing to do with the tire seating on the rim. When a tube is inflated uncontained by the tire, it will expand to a much larger size than the tire. A 28mm wide tire will usually fit on a rim that previously had a 23mm tire mounted on it, but it can be difficult to mount. Sometimes the tube gets pinched between the tire bead and the rim seat, preventing it from seating. Try inflating the tube slightly inside the tire, before attempting to mount the tire bead. Also, it helps to coat a new tube with talcum powder, to keep it from sticking to the tire casing.
Thanks Tejano, I haven't tried the talcum power will try it again
Old 07-02-20, 03:26 PM
draxz1289

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I have isolated the problem to one patch on the tire the one under the CST logo but when I manually lift the bead it then pushes a section about 5 inches down as vice versa. Could it be the tire is bent somehow?

​​​​​
Old 07-02-20, 04:44 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Have you tried inflating the tire to its maximum rated pressure ? That might help the tire pop into place. When you spin the wheel, does the tire move up and down ? As long as the tire is round and does not move up and down, it is ok. If all this fails, you may have a defective tire.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 07-02-20, 05:29 PM
draxz1289

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Have you tried inflating the tire to its maximum rated pressure ? That might help the tire pop into place. When you spin the wheel, does the tire move up and down ? As long as the tire is round and does not move up and down, it is ok. If all this fails, you may have a defective tire.
The max pressure on the tire is 80-120 but I'm not able to go past 80 so I suppose that's the maximum. Here is a gif and an image again the low point. If I move up bead under the logo the other section goes down

Old 07-02-20, 05:41 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Well, it doesn’t look all that out of round or warped to me. It looks more like the label is on crooked. Try riding the bike, and if you don’t feel the rear wheel moving up and down, then don’t worry about it.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 07-02-20, 06:00 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
No. It's not the label. The bead is not seated in the last photo. You can tell by the sighting line that is adjacent to the bead. It dives into the rim at the label. It should be a consistant distance from the edge of the rim.

It's not uncommon to have to fight with this.

Go the full 120 psi. If it does not set, back the pressure down to a reasonably low number, 40-50, or lower like 20, or what ever you are confortable with & manually roll bulk the away from where the low spot is. Reinflate to the full 120 & try again. The pressure will help lift the bead up to the seat.

Some tires can be especially problematic. I avoid Velox (or other cloth rim tape) because in my experience it can negativly affect how the bead centeres on the rim. Thinner rim tape, like the tubeless varieties don't seem to pose the same interferance issues.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 07-02-20, 06:26 PM
draxz1289

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Well, it doesn’t look all that out of round or warped to me. It looks more like the label is on crooked. Try riding the bike, and if you don’t feel the rear wheel moving up and down, then don’t worry about it.
the tire does wobble up and down when I ride and label is actually where the bead doesn't sit properly.

Originally Posted by base2
No. It's not the label. The bead is not seated in the last photo. You can tell by the sighting line that is adjacent to the bead. It dives into the rim at the label. It should be a consistant distance from the edge of the rim.

It's not uncommon to have to fight with this.

Go the full 120 psi. If it does not set, back the pressure down to a reasonably low number, 40-50, or lower like 20, or what ever you are confortable with & manually roll bulk the away from where the low spot is. Reinflate to the full 120 & try again. The pressure will help lift the bead up to the seat.

Some tires can be especially problematic. I avoid Velox (or other cloth rim tape) because in my experience it can negativly affect how the bead centeres on the rim. Thinner rim tape, like the tubeless varieties don't seem to pose the same interferance issues.
You are correct, the logo is where the bead doesn't sit properly. When I try to put the bead correctly the bead around 5 inches out gets out and when I move this the other one gets misplaced. I'm not able to pump more than 80 psi without substantial force, should I still keep going?
Old 07-02-20, 07:06 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
. I'm not able to pump more than 80 psi without substantial force, should I still keep going?
Yes.
If you can, get yourself a track pump. One with a pressure gage.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 07-02-20, 07:28 PM
draxz1289

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Yes.
If you can, get yourself a track pump. One with a pressure gage.
Yes I have a floor pump and I went past 80 and heard three pops omg finally I'm at level

Thank you so much for the help and everyone
Likes For draxz1289:
Old 07-02-20, 08:39 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
I had the same problem recently mounting a 27” X 1” Panaracer Pasales onto a 70’s Weinmann rim. I had to inflate it to 120 psi before I heard a delayed pop and the tire seated much better.

I
At 100 psi the tire didn’t seat properly and there was a flat spot where the label is.

Pumped up to 120 psi the tire seated much better and I heard a single pop. Still not perfect but much better!
I
Old 07-02-20, 09:39 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Old 07-03-20, 05:05 AM
draxz1289

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by momoman
I had the same problem recently mounting a 27” X 1” Panaracer Pasales onto a 70’s Weinmann rim. I had to inflate it to 120 psi before I heard a delayed pop and the tire seated much better.

I
At 100 psi the tire didn’t seat properly and there was a flat spot where the label is.

Pumped up to 120 psi the tire seated much better and I heard a single pop. Still not perfect but much better!
I
That's great to great. Are you using a hand pump to get it to pressure? I really struggled to get it past 80
Old 07-03-20, 05:08 AM
draxz1289

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Also I just noticed that while pumping past 80 the soapy water I had used earlier was starting to ooze out of a tiny spot on the tire, directly where the tire makes contact with road - should I be concerned?
Old 07-03-20, 06:36 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Also I just noticed that while pumping past 80 the soapy water I had used earlier was starting to ooze out of a tiny spot on the tire, directly where the tire makes contact with road - should I be concerned?
Is it coming through the tire or from around the rim? The former would imply that you have a pinhole in the tire, which would be unusual for a new tire. I'd dismount the tire and check it closely. A small pinhole is no big deal as long as what's caused it is no longer there.
Old 07-03-20, 06:46 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
I always use a track pump at home, so it's easy to get up to high pressures. When I'm replacing a tyre or tube, II go around the rim squeezing the two sides of the tyre together to get it central. I push the valve down the hole (into the tyre) slightly to reduce the chance of that part of the tube being trapped. I then pump the tube up to about 60 psi then let it down again. My theory is that this gives a chance for any creases or folds to sort themselves out. Then I pump it up to full operating pressure.

A track pump is a good investment for any cyclist.
Old 07-04-20, 07:38 AM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
OP, I’m using a 20v Dewalt compressor with a presta valve head screwed onto the hose to pump up to 120 lbs. I have over a dozen bikes so the compressor comes in handy.

The Dewalt is rated to go up to 160 psi.
Old 07-04-20, 10:10 PM
natloz

Bikes: Bianchi Alfana, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Sirrus Pro SS Conversion

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
I had a similar issue with a foldable tire that I bought at walmart. I ended up changing out to a non-foldable wire-bead tire and it fixed my issue. I personally think that some older rims may not have in the rim wall to hook into the bead, at least that was my theory...
Old 07-05-20, 06:38 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by natloz
I had a similar issue with a foldable tire that I bought at walmart. I ended up changing out to a non-foldable wire-bead tire and it fixed my issue. I personally think that some older rims may not have in the rim wall to hook into the bead, at least that was my theory...
Your problem was not that it was a foldable bead tire, but that you bought a cheap tire at Wallyworld. I’ve never had a problem getting quality folding bead tires to seat properly. Are you saying that your rim lacks a hook at the edge to retain the tire ? The only impact of this would be that you could not inflate a tire to a high pressure without the risk of it blowing off the rim. It would not affect the ability of the tire to seat fully on the rim.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 07-06-20, 09:39 AM
natloz

Bikes: Bianchi Alfana, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Sirrus Pro SS Conversion

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
Your problem was not that it was a foldable bead tire, but that you bought a cheap tire at Wallyworld. I’ve never had a problem getting quality folding bead tires to seat properly. Are you saying that your rim lacks a hook at the edge to retain the tire ? The only impact of this would be that you could not inflate a tire to a high pressure without the risk of it blowing off the rim. It would not affect the ability of the tire to seat fully on the rim.
The bead on the cheap tire would slowly push away from the rim and then blow. Once I went to wire bead this would not happen. I never tried another foldable tire because did not want to waste any more money.
Old 07-06-20, 09:50 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by natloz
The bead on the cheap tire would slowly push away from the rim and then blow. Once I went to wire bead this would not happen. I never tried another foldable tire because did not want to waste any more money.
Just out of curiosity, what are you riding ? A Thruster ?

Originally Posted by Dcv

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.