Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Name that frame - Nishiki?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-20, 03:10 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts

I'm not quite sure what this is but I am reasonably sure it is a a Nishiki. It had a "Designed by Norco" sticker on the drive chainstay. Mix of shimano light action and lower end japanese components. One of the top tube decals is Linear but that was a Nishiki funny bike. The other doesnt quite make sense. T-Mar is a canadian bike expert...maybe you can shed some light on my mystery.

Old 07-06-20, 06:46 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
It's a Canadian market Nishiki Linear, circa 1989. Serial number? I believe the illegible decal is just a Linear decal that was placed upside down.
Old 07-06-20, 08:05 PM
Narhay

Originally Posted by T-Mar
It's a Canadian market Nishiki Linear, circa 1989. Serial number? I believe the illegible decal is just a Linear decal that was placed upside down.
Of course. My friend thought it was backwards but this makes sense. I thought it said Kiskit. 🤔🤔🤔

Where would the serial number be ? I didn't look too closely under the BB but didn't see it elsewhere.

Last edited by Narhay; 07-06-20 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-07-20, 03:45 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Narhay
Of course. My friend thought it was backwards but this makes sense. I thought it said Kiskit. 🤔🤔🤔

Where would the serial number be ? I didn't look too closely under the BB but didn't see it elsewhere.
I don't know where the serial number.might be located, as I don't have any of this model in the database. Given the era and level, it's probably from some Taiwanese manufacturer. In order of probability, my search would be centred on the bottom bracket shell, lower seat tube, rear dropouts and head tube area. TIA.
Old 07-07-20, 05:44 AM
Narhay

I don't know where the serial number.might be located, as I don't have any of this model in the database. Given the era and level, it's probably from some Taiwanese manufacturer. In order of probability, my search would be centred on the bottom bracket shell, lower seat tube, rear dropouts and head tube area. TIA.
Lower seat tube, non drive side. DS80 8 4177?

Old 07-07-20, 07:05 AM
T-Mar

Thank-you! The serial number format is that of Dodsun of Taiwan and indicates August 1988 manufacture. That's late enough in the calendar year to be a 1989 model. Given that my 1989 literature lists the Linear as "a new addition", it's pretty safe to say it's a 1989 model. FYI, the tubeset is an unspecified "3 tube chro-moly", likely plain gauge Tange #5 , with hi-tensile stays and forks. Entry level, 2nd from the bottom of the 7 model, road line.
Old 07-07-20, 07:10 AM
Narhay

Thank-you! The serial number format is that of Dodsun of Taiwan and indicates August 1988 manufacture. That's late enough in the calendar year to be a 1989 model. Given that my 1989 literature lists the Linear as "a new addition", it's pretty safe to say it's a 1989 model. FYI, the tubeset is an unspecified "3 tube chro-moly", likely plain gauge Tange #5 , with hi-tensile stays and forks. Entry level, 2nd from the bottom of the 7 model, road line.
Great, thank you very much for the information. Always nice to know what it is.

The rear wheel has about 2 inches of back and forth travel so that will be interesting to open up and see what kind of damage it has caused.
Old 07-10-20, 06:30 PM
Narhay

Just to finish out this thread. I rebuilt the bike over the past couple days.