Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Water bottle or other options to mist and/or sip without a backpack?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-19, 09:35 AM
jbsjbs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been looking for options to keep cool and hydrate more frequently during hot weather rides. I'd prefer not to wear a backpack but I do have a large rack pack commuter bag that I could keep something in.

My perfect find would be a bottle (for a cage) or a bladder (for the rack bag) with a hose attachment that had some sort of a trigger sprayer misting device as well as a bite/sip so you could drink or mist from the reservoir without taking anything out.

I've not yet been able to find that so if it doesn't exist my next choice would be a backpack that does the above with a long enough hose that I could either keep it in the rack bag or take it apart and put part of it in there.

And my next choice after that would be a backpack with a standard length hose and I'll just live with a sweaty back as long as I have the misting function to keep cool.

Anyone seen (or used) anything like this? Would be grateful for any leads! Thanks!!
Old 07-24-19, 09:48 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by jbsjbs
I've been looking for options to keep cool and hydrate more frequently during hot weather rides. I'd prefer not to wear a backpack but I do have a large rack pack commuter bag that I could keep something in.

My perfect find would be a bottle (for a cage) or a bladder (for the rack bag) with a hose attachment that had some sort of a trigger sprayer misting device as well as a bite/sip so you could drink or mist from the reservoir without taking anything out.

I've not yet been able to find that so if it doesn't exist my next choice would be a backpack that does the above with a long enough hose that I could either keep it in the rack bag or take it apart and put part of it in there.

And my next choice after that would be a backpack with a standard length hose and I'll just live with a sweaty back as long as I have the misting function to keep cool.

Anyone seen (or used) anything like this? Would be grateful for any leads! Thanks!!
Putting the bladder on the bike means needing to pump the water up several feet. Probably take a couple of pumps each time and require more effort. (Long straws to waterbottles on the bike have the same issue.) My first thought would be a backpack bladder (ie CamelBak or the like) and a "Y" on the hose to the original nozzle and a water pistol. (Don't know where you would find a sawed-off water shotgun with the appropriate load! But carrying that to the extreme - you could have the "shotgun" mounted on the handlebars aimed at your face. With old-fashioned handlebar WB cages, the height issue is solved and execution (!) would be easy.)

Ben
Old 07-24-19, 09:53 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts

Two large bottles in two bottle holders on the frame holds a lot. With practice it can be easy, possibly easier than using something to mist yourself with. I have never heard of a device that will mist you and let you drink through a hose. If needed you could stop once in a while to wet your face from a bottle.
I think if it would sell, by now one would be on the market already. I rode in 107 degrees a couple of days ago. As always I just hydrate properly and stop if needed.
Old 07-24-19, 10:01 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Platypus Hoser

https://www.platy.com/hydration-systems/hoser

They also sell fittings and tubes so that the tube length can be extended.

I've used such a system with the bladder in a frame bag. Clipping the tube securely onto the bike so that it doesn't fall off and drag can be a challenge.

Old 07-24-19, 10:14 AM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
I've seen tri bike riders with some sort of handlebar-mounted water bottle with a long hose allowing a hands-free hydration method.
Old 07-24-19, 10:27 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts

Alternatively, use a hydration pack and pack it with ice. You can get most of a 7 lb bag of ice into a 100 oz bladder. The ice provides cooler water for longer than any bottle can...up to 6 hours vs around an hour or less... and the ice in the pack provides cooling as you ride, either due to the condensation dripping off it or just heat transfer. I notice a significant effect if I have to delay packing the pack with ice.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-24-19, 10:28 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
You can find pretty much any sized bladder that comes with a drinking tube. Just buy one that will fit in your particular bag.

Never heard of one that will "mist" you though.
Old 07-24-19, 10:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
When I crossed the country in '99 it was scorching and humid from Southern MN all the way through IN. At some point I bought a spray bottle with a mist setting on the nozzle. I was able to fit it in a jersey pocket. Came in handy. Others in my group liked to be sprayed.
Old 07-24-19, 10:50 AM
jbsjbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas everyone. This is very useful.

The misting thing sounds ridiculous but what brought it to mind is my kids' summer camp recommends these misting water bottles for the kids (no AC). I tried theirs out on an extremely hot day and it was incredible. Even more so than just spraying water from the bottle, the evaporative cooling of the water mist was stunning. Among the (many!) things I've come across that take advantage of this effect is one at Amazon (sorry, newbie so no links) item B07FFCWGWC at Amazon which is designed for long hiking treks in hot weather and basically pumps a continuous fine mist in front of you. Ridiculous and overly elaborate yes but I can't say that dropping the temp of a hike or ride 30 degrees wouldn't be appealing.

In my current case it sounds like I might need to settle for a couple of partial solutions. I keep a chalk bag on my handlebars to drop my phone into so I'm going to experiment with a small spray bottle with some ice and water in it that I can keep in there (sans phone of course) for the misting portion of my quest and then I'll look for a rack pack bladder for the sipping part.

And of course if anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears. Thanks again everyone!
Old 07-24-19, 10:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Water in an un-insulated spray bottle is going to get warm pretty quickly, even with ice in it, though it's still better than nothing. Maybe freeze it over night before a ride. I didn't have that luxury riding across the country.
Old 07-24-19, 11:00 AM
TXBDan

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX, Trek Checkpoint

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Two water bottles in cages. One regular one for drinking, one with a spray top for spraying... ?
Old 07-24-19, 11:16 AM
jbsjbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TXBDan
Two water bottles in cages. One regular one for drinking, one with a spray top for spraying... ?
I have 2 cages in my triangle both with Camelbak Podium Chills which I love (though I read about the new Podium Chill Ice and am going to give that a while as well). I'd certainly give that a try but I haven't seen any bike-specific spray-top bottles that looked like they'd work well in a cage. The ones my kids took to camp are the right shape for example but the spray top makes them even longer than my 25 ounce Chills. Is there a spray top you've seen that fits well in a cage inside the triangle? I'm also marginally inclined to have something I can grab quicker (thus the spray bottle in my chalk bag idea).
Old 07-24-19, 11:28 AM
jbsjbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Water in an un-insulated spray bottle is going to get warm pretty quickly, even with ice in it, though it's still better than nothing. Maybe freeze it over night before a ride. I didn't have that luxury riding across the country.
My thought is to fill it halfway and freeze it then add water before the ride, then figure out what % frozen solid I need for a given length of ride. That said, the amazing thing about the mist cooling is it doesn't really depend on cold water. At any normal riding speed the effect of the wind and even a lukewarm watermist is remarkably cooling. Pouring water directly on you from the bottle depends a lot on the temp of the water in my experience but with a mist what's happening is you're creating a gigantic surface area from a tiny amount of water. This lets the water evaporate extremely quickly drawing heat out of the air and off of you. If you've ever been in one of those outdoor spaces that use misting cooling systems they can cool an area by 25 or 30 degress without anyone getting wet because the mist evaporates so quickly.