Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stella Information

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Stella Information

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-19, 09:30 PM
CTony

Bikes: 74 Raleigh InternationalRiva-Sport,Frejus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Stella Information

New project 50th Anniversary Tour de France model.Campagnolo front and rear derailleurs with Campagnolo tubular hubs and mavic rims. Does this model hold any value?besides builder/fixer and then seller remorse.Thoughts? Also I attempted to download pictures.but,flag said I most have at lest ten post
Old 08-01-19, 09:55 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26418 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...the best Stella bikes are some of the better French imports. Nothing classic seems to hold much value these days, but if it fits you and you want to ride it, I've had two and they both rode nicely. I still have one of them. Post photos when you can.
Old 08-02-19, 12:18 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
When you say "50th Anniversary Tour de France model" are you talking about the decal on the downtube that looks like this?

I think many models had that, along with the seat tube decals it celebrates the accomplishments of Louison Bobet who was sponsored by Stella in the 50's.

Anyway, it's a cool brand with an interesting history...connections to the founding of Trek and (very indirectly) the Atari 2600. You don't see many of them, so value will fluctuate wildly depending on the buyer. There's not really strong demand for them the way there is for a brand like Colnago or Cinelli, but that doesn't mean they weren't great bikes.

My 1970-something Stella SX-76 is my favorite bike right now. I've sunk a bunch of money into restoring it, and couldn't possibly sell it for anything near what I've spent on it. But if I did, I would most certainly have seller's remorse.

In the 70's the SX-73 and SX-76 were made with metric sized Columbus tubing, which is quite an oddity in itself. Some of the other models were built with Durifort tubes, which I think are still pretty decent. I haven't really heard anything about any really low end Stellas. Apparently even the ones that were rebranded and sold by American snowmobile company Arctic Cat were pretty nice.

Here's a pic (from a recent gathering of vintage bike lovers) of my Stella next to another one from the same period that's in more original condition.

One more because I love these bikes.

Last edited by Andy_K; 08-02-19 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-02-19, 06:21 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Yes, they're really nice bikes that don't seem to command big money. Here's a previous thread on them.
Old 08-02-19, 11:28 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I can’t tell if you are asking about value for resale, or if your intent is just to refurb and ride. As mentioned, the vintage bike market is very soft right now, so I wouldn’t put much into a flip.
I have an SX-73 (Durifort tubing) set up as a fixed gear. It rides great.