Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Also looking at a second set of wheels

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 09-26-19, 11:01 PM
jaypeeq

Bikes: '17 Focus Paralane, '88 Schwinn Prelude, '88 Panasonic DX 3000

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So you could say things are getting serious. I've got DT R23s that have been serving me well with 28mm tires on pavement and some light gravel. Now I want a second set to set up with beefier tubeless for off road/pavement. Budget under $1000 USD. I ride 50/50 road/off road. Two ways of thinking keep popping in my head:

1. Inexpensive Carbon wheels like Hunt or nicer aluminum with some good hubs like HED Ardennes?

2. Use the DT R23s for pavement and new wheels for off road or vice versa? I'm leaning towards the idea that nicer aero wheels might have a bigger impact on pavement.

Thanks in advance for your experience and opinions.
Old 09-27-19, 05:39 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
The Hunt wheels I'm not a fan of. For $1100USD I expect more than (rebranded) Bitex hubs.

Yea they're cartridge bearing--but that is about all there is to say about them. I think ProWheelbuilder offers a CF house-rim laced to Bitex at that pricepoint as well...but when Whites at PWB are $1300 or you can get DTSwiss/Industry9/Onyx at LightBicycles for $1200, there's no appeal to the Bitex.

How you use them is up to you and how the wheels are built. My Onyx/46mm build is heavier (nature of Onyx hubs), so I keep the lighter tires on those hoops...and come winter the studded wire beaded boat-anchors (800g each) go on my alloy rims
Old 09-27-19, 07:26 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I have the nicer wheels for pavement. The lighter wheels and lighter tires are a nice contrast to bigger gravel/mtb tires. I had Brett at mill city https://www.facebook.com/millcitycycle/ build me a nice carbon set for around $1000. He does a lot of gravel riding, so he knows what we need.
Old 09-27-19, 08:44 AM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I have the nicer wheels for pavement. The lighter wheels and lighter tires are a nice contrast to bigger gravel/mtb tires. I had Brett at mill city https://www.facebook.com/millcitycycle/ build me a nice carbon set for around $1000. He does a lot of gravel riding, so he knows what we need.
I did the same thing, also going through Mill City, but for the lightest and cheapest aluminum wheelset solely for road use. They ended up ~$450, and have been super solid.

Like chas said, Brett has a lot of experience and can iterate depending on your price/need!
Old 09-29-19, 09:00 PM
gravelslider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The new DT Swiss gravel wheelset is really hard to beat at a little over $700 for a really tough 25mm internal width aluminum wheelset with very proven and reliable DT Swwiss hubs. They are pretty new but we have bot them in several recent builds at our shop and they are very hard to beat! about 1600 grams I believe. Any carbon wheelset at your price range is going to be inferior to an aluminum wheelset at the same price.
Likes For gravelslider:
Old 09-30-19, 08:44 AM
TXBDan

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX, Trek Checkpoint

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Wow, 25mm internal? At that point 29" XC mountain bike wheels are worth a look.

I got some hand build DT350+DT RR481s for $475 from colorado cyclist. Real solid wheelset for the buck. I weigh 220lbs, commute on them, and take on them gravel and light trails.