Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Continental Terra Speed and Terra Trail

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 11-14-19, 09:54 AM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Has anyone purchased these yet? If so, what are you first impressions?
Old 11-15-19, 11:52 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
No.

Hope it works on a hook-less bead. Those GP5000TL tires were a nightmare to mount on my hook-less beads - the tire bead was too thick, too tight, too small a diameter for that set of wheels. This tire is supposed to use the same road tubeless construction. I'm sure they work great on the right rims, but the don't fit all rims. Still, conti makes some very fast very supple riding tires - I'm interested to see how these turn out.
Old 11-15-19, 07:14 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
No.

Hope it works on a hook-less bead. Those GP5000TL tires were a nightmare to mount on my hook-less beads - the tire bead was too thick, too tight, too small a diameter for that set of wheels. This tire is supposed to use the same road tubeless construction. I'm sure they work great on the right rims, but the don't fit all rims. Still, conti makes some very fast very supple riding tires - I'm interested to see how these turn out.
you do know 5000TL is not supposed to be used on hookless rims????
Old 11-15-19, 07:47 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by spdntrxi
you do know 5000TL is not supposed to be used on hookless rims????
Uh, yeah.

That is why i said about the gravel tires
"Hope it works on a hook-less bead. "

Didn't see anything on conti's website about hookless on the gravel ones.

Do you know why they require hooked rims?
Old 12-13-19, 09:58 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
Has anyone purchased these yet? If so, what are you first impressions?
I'll let you know, just ordered a set of 40mm Terra Speeds.

I replaced my stock 40mm Crosscuts with a set of 43mm GravelKing SK+'s and they are much slower. Width is barely bigger (Crosscuts measured exactly 40mm, SK+'s measured at 41mm when mounted, so maybe a bit bigger after they break in), and the SK+'s have an extra puncture barrier, but I didn't expect them to be that much slower. Plus they throw every tiny little piece of dirt and sand, that's really annoying, I won't run a small block tread like that again. A lot of people seem to like them tho, which is why I got them.

I love my Conti road tires, GP4K and now GP5K, so hopefully these will be just as good.
Old 12-17-19, 03:30 PM
chas58

I'll let you know, just ordered a set of 40mm Terra Speeds.

I replaced my stock 40mm Crosscuts with a set of 43mm GravelKing SK+'s and they are much slower. Width is barely bigger (Crosscuts measured exactly 40mm, SK+'s measured at 41mm when mounted, so maybe a bit bigger after they break in), and the SK+'s have an extra puncture barrier, but I didn't expect them to be that much slower. Plus they throw every tiny little piece of dirt and sand, that's really annoying, I won't run a small block tread like that again. A lot of people seem to like them tho, which is why I got them.

I love my Conti road tires, GP4K and now GP5K, so hopefully these will be just as good.
If they are that good, I'll have to order a set. Let us know. Sounds like you are right on with the GK's.
Old 12-18-19, 08:50 AM
Rides4Beer

If they are that good, I'll have to order a set. Let us know. Sounds like you are right on with the GK's.
They arrived yesterday, hoping to ride them tonight or tomorrow. Both tires weighed in at 415g, advertised at 420g, so that's nice to see. I didn't weigh the SK+ before putting them on, but they're advertised at 500g, so that'll be a nice drop just in tire weight (in addition to the 4-500g I'm dropping in wheel weight at the same time, yes, I know that will skew my perception, but I found a good deal on a second wheelset lol). Also found where RoadBike had tested the Terra Speeds at 22w rolling resistance, while the regular SK's tested at 27w, so gotta figure the SK+ would be a lil slower than that with the extra puncture layer. So picking up 10+w for the tires, plus dropping weight, should be good.
Old 12-18-19, 09:17 AM
Planemaker

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
They arrived yesterday, hoping to ride them tonight or tomorrow. Both tires weighed in at 415g, advertised at 420g, so that's nice to see. I didn't weigh the SK+ before putting them on, but they're advertised at 500g, so that'll be a nice drop just in tire weight (in addition to the 4-500g I'm dropping in wheel weight at the same time, yes, I know that will skew my perception, but I found a good deal on a second wheelset lol). Also found where RoadBike had tested the Terra Speeds at 22w rolling resistance, while the regular SK's tested at 27w, so gotta figure the SK+ would be a lil slower than that with the extra puncture layer. So picking up 10+w for the tires, plus dropping weight, should be good.
Were they easy to mount?

Looking forward to your ride results.
Old 12-18-19, 09:36 AM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by Planemaker
Were they easy to mount?

Looking forward to your ride results.
I'm having the shop mount them lol Just dropped them off. I haven't started mounting my own tubeless yet, but I should. I also wanted them to check the true and tension on the new wheelset. But from what I've read they're made to the same tubeless spec as the GP5K TLs, so I'm guessing they'll be a lil tight to get on there. I'll ask when I pick them up.

Gonna do some road riding with them this week and then take them up to VA next week for some fast gravel. I have a 50 mile gravel KOM that I'm going to see how much time I can shave off of, plus some other segments to compare (to the stock wheels/tires, never rode there with the SK+s). But it'll also be about 30* colder than when I rode that trail last, so it'll be interesting to see how the increased air density affects the effort.
Old 12-20-19, 07:54 AM
Rides4Beer

According to the shop, they were very easy to mount, they were pretty surprised at how easy they went on, so that's good to hear.

They measure 38.5mm on 19c rims, and they are fast. If they end up being durable offroad, then this is def my tire. Riding on the road, and one small light gravel section, they are fast and smooth. Had no problems holding the same speed that I do on my road bike through several sections of my regular route (32mph through one section). I'll have some good comparisons next week with some fast gravel segments I'll be doing in VA. Then when I get back, I'll hit up some rougher sections around here and see how they do. But so far I'm very happy with them.

Old 01-10-20, 03:13 PM
fuel0707

Bikes: Lauf True Grit; Trek Madone, Domane and Checkpoint; EMB-505

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the feedback. I've been trying to find feedback on these as I like Conti's GP4000 and GP5000 on the roads and am hoping that the Terra tires will be a good gravel option.
Old 01-13-20, 08:09 AM
Rides4Beer

Yesterday I previewed a 100k course for a gravel race I'm doing next month, the Terra Speeds were great! Ran them at 37/47psi (I'm 185lbs) and had no issues through gravel, some mud, sand, and they still had no problem holding 25mph on the road. I'm gonna put a set of Terra Trails on my other wheels to have for when I want/need some extra grip, but so far, the Speeds have been awesome!

Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 01-13-20, 12:06 PM
chas58

Thanks rides. Looks like an interestng tire.

Here is a review of this "Brilliant gravel tyre" ;-)
https://road.cc/content/review/27016...al-terra-speed
Old 01-15-20, 09:22 AM
Rides4Beer

Thanks rides. Looks like an interestng tire.

Here is a review of this "Brilliant gravel tyre" ;-)
https://road.cc/content/review/27016...al-terra-speed
The Terra Speeds actually did pretty well through some light mud (nothing crazy, but we had some rain the night before, so some sections were a lil sloppy). Actually noticed that with the smaller knobs they shed mud very easily (actually never even really held on to it lol my other tires would get some mud caked in the tread that would then shed over the next half mile or so).

My 40mm Terra Trails arrive tomorrow, should be able to test them out this weekend. For the riding I do, I can't see needing anything more aggressive than that, and will probably default to the Speeds for most of my riding, but it'll be nice to have a backup set for when it's really muddy or if I have a catastrophic failure.

My plan was always to have one wheelset with aggressive tires and one with slicks/file tread. But the Speeds are fast enough that I can't see myself ever needing to go to slicks, not when I can keep a lil tread and still go fast.
Old 01-18-20, 10:15 AM
Rides4Beer

First ride on the Terra Trails yesterday, lil slower on the pavement than the Speeds, but that was to be expected with the more aggressive tread. Still pretty fast tho. These will be good for when it’s really loose or muddy.

They measure the same as the Speeds, a lil under 40mm, will prob be 40 on the nose once they’re broken in. I need to measure my Speeds again and see where they’re at now.

Also, both sets of tires are holding pressure well with no sealant seepage.

Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 01-19-20, 04:19 PM
chas58

Uh oh. Half price.

https://bikecloset.com/product/terra...eid=d24b336ec6
Old 01-19-20, 05:46 PM
Rides4Beer

Nice, got mine for $40 each.

Did the winter bike league today on the gravel bike with the Terra Speeds, it was a lil extra work, but they’re def fast for a big tire.

Remeasured the Speeds, 39mm on 19c rims.
Old 01-22-20, 05:38 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Any problems with the terra speeds spinning on steep climbs?
Old 01-22-20, 08:20 AM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by srode1
Any problems with the terra speeds spinning on steep climbs?
Nope, had a short 12-13% climb on my last ride with no slip/spin.

Gonna hit some gravel this weekend with the Trails, don't expect any issues given how the Speeds have performed. They're prob more tire than I need for this route, but I want to get a feel for them on the gravel.

FWIW, I did our local WBL ride last weekend on the Speeds (selling my road bike so I didn't feel like cleaning it), and no problems doing 80+ miles at 19.5mph avg, with four sprint zones. Added a lil extra effort to the workout, no doubt, but they are def fast for a 40mm treaded tire.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 02-04-20, 02:16 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
Got my 700x40 Terra Speeds last week and finally put them on today. They were pretty difficult to mount onto my xc279 rims. Not doable without a lever IMO. They measured out to 37mm on the xc279s (23mm outer width, 17mm inner width) at 60 psi. They looked fat when folded flat for shipping, but look like narrow CX tires when mounted. Will try to get some gravel miles on them this week.

Edit: managed to put a few miles on the Terra Speeds this afternoon. On tarmac they feel like a high quality road tire: supple, grippy, though obviously not as fast. Minimal road noise (at least compared to X'plor MSO, Conti Speed Ride). On dry hardpack they feel great. You really don't feel much difference when transitioning from where tarmac ends and gravel begins. On dirt and gravel, I felt they had good grip and a supple ride. I didn't lose traction at all on the steep (10-13%) and loose stuff. No comment on wet performance as the trails had dried up pretty well since the last storm. I still wish they were a little bit wider but I'm pretty happy with these tires after the first ride.

Last edited by tFUnK; 02-04-20 at 08:17 PM.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 02-11-20, 10:35 AM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I just got a set of these after I saw they were 5w/tire better than GK SKs (and everything else) on the roller test from RoadBike DE https://www.roadbike.de/rennrad-part...eifen-im-test/ (German, but it's all numbers - the PDF article has more detail), without giving up any puncture protection, except for their snakebike/sidewall test (so not good for road hookless at low psi, something with a forgiving rim edge like the Enve g23 might be OK). The knobs are smaller than they look in photo to my eye (G-One Allaround thick).

If it matters, I did test mount them on my 20mm Int Stans Grails, which was super easy by hand.

Ok the GK SKs, Panaracer sized these by how big they are on common rims. These used to be 40c tires, but now they list them as 43c. They are 43mm on my 20mm int rim. I don't like that they flick the small rocks on my local trail at my face, they are unlined so dried sealant can't be removed easily, they are useless on anything close to mud, and that there's something 1mph faster out there :-)
Likes For jfranci3:
Old 02-12-20, 06:22 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Originally Posted by jfranci3
I just got a set of these after I saw they were 5w/tire better than GK SKs (and everything else) on the roller test from RoadBike DE https://www.roadbike.de/rennrad-part...eifen-im-test/ (German, but it's all numbers - the PDF article has more detail), without giving up any puncture protection, except for their snakebike/sidewall test (so not good for road hookless at low psi, something with a forgiving rim edge like the Enve g23 might be OK). The knobs are smaller than they look in photo to my eye (G-One Allaround thick).

If it matters, I did test mount them on my 20mm Int Stans Grails, which was super easy by hand.

Ok the GK SKs, Panaracer sized these by how big they are on common rims. These used to be 40c tires, but now they list them as 43c. They are 43mm on my 20mm int rim. I don't like that they flick the small rocks on my local trail at my face, they are unlined so dried sealant can't be removed easily, they are useless on anything close to mud, and that there's something 1mph faster out there :-)
Thanks for posting the article, it's a good read. I was surprised they used 3.5 Bar for there testing (around 50psi), seemed like a very high pressure for gravel when most people are running low 40's for 40mm tires. The only tire on the list I have used is the Panaracer SK (mine were the plus version). The continentals having snake bite as a weakness seems more of a problem for B roads than A gravel. Probably not a good tire choice for rough courses like Dirty Kanza.
Old 02-12-20, 11:53 AM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by srode1
Thanks for posting the article, it's a good read. I was surprised they used 3.5 Bar for there testing (around 50psi), seemed like a very high pressure for gravel when most people are running low 40's for 40mm tires. The only tire on the list I have used is the Panaracer SK (mine were the plus version). The continentals having snake bite as a weakness seems more of a problem for B roads than A gravel. Probably not a good tire choice for rough courses like Dirty Kanza.
Having switched from SK+ to the Terra Speeds, they are significantly faster. I might run them for DK200, haven't decided yet. I haven't had any issues so far.
Old 02-12-20, 11:58 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Having switched from SK+ to the Terra Speeds, they are significantly faster. I might run them for DK200, haven't decided yet. I haven't had any issues so far.
Flats suck out there - I met a guy last year that had to put in a tube after being on track for a top 100 finish and had 5 more flats with the tube - I gave him one so he could finish (he was carrying his bike). I'd like to hear from people running those on flint rock before making a choice to use them for DK this year. I used SK+ last year too and they definitely had a ride quality and rolling resistance penalty for the flat protection.
Old 02-12-20, 12:32 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by jfranci3
I just got a set of these after I saw they were 5w/tire better than GK SKs (and everything else) on the roller test from RoadBike DE https://www.roadbike.de/rennrad-part...eifen-im-test/ (German, but it's all numbers - the PDF article has more detail),
OK, that deserves its own thread. Too much valuable info there!
https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...l#post21325168
Ich danke Ihnen für Ihre Hilfe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.