Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

N-1--what should I ask for this?

Old 06-23-20, 01:04 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
N-1--what should I ask for this?

I'm selling my 2015 Simcoe Classic (or Deluxe; there's some confusion), which was NOS from Amazon, bought in April of 2018 for ~$424 plus tax. Simcoe only made two lines, the higher-end was called Signature.

I can't find anything about its value online; it's not in the Blue Book. It's got a Wald 520 basket set and I'm throwing in a good rechargeable headlight, a battery tail light, seat pack and a few other goodies; pretty much everything shown in the second photo.

List price for this bike at the time was, IIRC, upwards of $700. It's in pristine condition and I doubt it's even got 100 miles on it.

So, how much do you think I should ask for it?

Old 06-23-20, 01:08 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
$200
Old 06-23-20, 01:08 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Generally used bike sell for 40% of their new value, but with there being a shortage of bikes you can ask more... maybe 75% if it's pristine.
Old 06-23-20, 03:29 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
I'd say $200-$300 depending on location. If you have a nice MUP or greenway nearby, that will enhance the value. JMO, but your first pic shows a very attractive bike. The second, though the additions are worthwhile, looks cluttered and less attractive. If posting on CL or such, I would post pics of the "clean" bike and another pic with all the accessories grouped together. Let the buyer reinstall whatever he wants.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-23-20, 04:58 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
These bikes were the brainchild of Curbside Bikes in Toronto. The also own a distribution company called 4th Floor Bikes. I remember they had two levels of bikes, yours and higher model that had a much nicer cast fork crown. It really was a much nicer bike fit and finish wise but yours was no slouch. It was a glorified Linus in my eyes. With the way bikes are here, you could get close to what you paid for it.

Yesterday I was in a bike shop ordering parts and overheard an employee tell a customer that all they had left were bikes that were $2000 and up (Canadian dollars mind you). Good luck with your sale.
Old 06-23-20, 06:39 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'd say $200-$300 depending on location. If you have a nice MUP or greenway nearby, that will enhance the value. JMO, but your first pic shows a very attractive bike. The second, though the additions are worthwhile, looks cluttered and less attractive. If posting on CL or such, I would post pics of the "clean" bike and another pic with all the accessories grouped together. Let the buyer reinstall whatever he wants.
Can't say as I disagree. I kept the match-painted rack, and that will go with it. I'll leave it as is, though, and after that it's just a matter of the buyer taking off what they don't want. Less effort for both of us.

I plan to sell it on nextdoor.com.
Old 06-23-20, 08:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Was the bike built by a professional mechanic or tuned at some point? That might give you some extra points in addition to all the add ons and you might consider $200 and potentially take less.
Old 06-23-20, 08:30 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Well it is a larger step through preachers frame great bike , I have owned a couple vintage preacher framed large step though's and really liked them. But a hard sell most women couldn't ride it comfortably and most men wouldn't want to ride step through. I would put the price at $150=200.
Old 06-23-20, 08:51 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Generally used bike sell for 40% of their new value, but with there being a shortage of bikes you can ask more... maybe 75% if it's pristine.
Bike shortage ? I have too many.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 06-24-20, 01:29 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Was the bike built by a professional mechanic or tuned at some point? That might give you some extra points in addition to all the add ons and you might consider $200 and potentially take less.
No, I bought it in the box and put it together myself. Next to getting it out of the box, the hardest part of that was installing and adjusting the front brake, a double-pivot caliper; got that dialed in perfectly with help from a Park Tool video. The front wheel was a few thousandths out of true and I left it that way. I'll just take my chances on whether the buyer notices or not. I also had to tighten the headset locknut. None of this is new to me.

Even if I had had the assembly done in a shop, I probably wouldn't have kept a receipt to prove it.

The only LBS I've used would have done worse than I did, based on the quality of their work I've experienced before and since.
Old 06-24-20, 01:50 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Bike shortage ? I have too many.
Ditto! I have all the bikes I need but not more than I want , I actually find myself looking for more! Then I stop myself.........sometimes. Joe
Old 06-24-20, 06:08 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Ask for about $250 and be ready to negotiate lower. But, don't take less than around $175. Be good. Have fun.