Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Direct to Consumer EBike Servicing

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 06-25-20, 08:15 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts

I've always believed in the efficiency of business. I think Direct to Consumer bike sales are the future. Most bicycle manufacturers are doing it. One of the issues with buying bicycles Direct to Consumer model is that some bicycle shops won't work on bicycles brands that they don't carry. This fits they're business model, but it limits bicycle shops utilization. Through my frustration, I found that using mobile bicycle service is a great alternative to using a local bicycle shop. I've had bicycles assembled and serviced through these services. Mobilie Bicycle Service providers are cost competitive and they come to your home or workplace to service/assemble your bike. Here's some Mobile bicycle services in Denver: https://www.mobilebikeman.com/index.html , Domestique Mobile Bike Shop , https://bicyclemobiletune.com/ , https://www.velofix.com/ , mobilebikewrench.com

Another alternative to LBS, are Local Non-Profit Bicycle Shops. I live in Denver and use Rides Together. I have enclosed the website https://bikestogether.org/ for your reference. Maybe they're a similar organization in your city. I just wanted to inform you that they're alternatives to your local bicycle Shop.

I hope that this helps you with your ownership experience with your bicycle.

Last edited by alloo; 06-25-20 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-25-20, 09:55 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
Good idea. My LBS services anything and everything, and had a four-week+ backlog when I made an appointment three weeks ago.
Old 06-25-20, 10:47 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I've used our local Velofix guy here (mostly at races). He is great.
If I did something major - It woulda been nice not to have to drop my bike off for 2-3 weeks at the shop to get something fixed. Personally, I get all my maintenance done in the winter when the guys can take their time on the bike.

One of my close friends does the local mobile TREK truck - basically the same thing.

Interestingly they are working with direct to consumer bikes - they'll come unbox your bike, set it up and tune it up for you when it gets delivered
(Velofix works with Canyon, our TREK truck works with Raleigh)
Old 07-03-20, 08:05 AM
jblackmd

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Supercourse TT, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper FS

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I've used our local Velofix guy here (mostly at races). He is great.
If I did something major - It woulda been nice not to have to drop my bike off for 2-3 weeks at the shop to get something fixed. Personally, I get all my maintenance done in the winter when the guys can take their time on the bike.

One of my close friends does the local mobile TREK truck - basically the same thing.

Interestingly they are working with direct to consumer bikes - they'll come unbox your bike, set it up and tune it up for you when it gets delivered
(Velofix works with Canyon, our TREK truck works with Raleigh)
I just found out about this service. My bike really needs a good going over, and in these COVID days the local shop wants me to make an appointment just to drop it off, and they'll have it for 2-3 weeks as you say. I called Velofix, they're coming tomorrow. They'll have it all done in a day. I'm going to have them do the full service which includes taking down the whole bike,inspecting, lube and repair if needed of all of the bearings, true the wheels, adjust the derailleurs and brakes, and change the chain and professionally fit it. I have a very old bike but it is in great shape. I can't wait to see how it rides when they're done with it! My derailleurs pretty much suck (Simplex) so I ordered a set of Suntour Cyclones but they won't be here in time. Maybe I'll hold off switching them out until I see how the Simplex work when tuned.
Likes For jblackmd:
Old 07-03-20, 09:25 AM
2old

Glad to see there's help available. My LBS had a four-week wait to work on my wife's bike before they announced they're taking no new service work for the near future.
Old 07-03-20, 12:08 PM
jblackmd

Originally Posted by 2old
Glad to see there's help available. My LBS had a four-week wait to work on my wife's bike before they announced they're taking no new service work for the near future.
I'm pretty excited to see how long it takes and how well they do. I'd like to get my wife's bike serviced too, but hers doesn't need as extensive a going over as mine does. Hers is practically new! Well, she got it in the early 90's.
Old 07-03-20, 01:58 PM
2old

Originally Posted by jblackmd
I'm pretty excited to see how long it takes and how well they do. I'd like to get my wife's bike serviced too, but hers doesn't need as extensive a going over as mine does. Hers is practically new! Well, she got it in the early 90's.
Just a baby.
Old 07-04-20, 04:47 AM
jblackmd

Originally Posted by 2old
Just a baby.
Heh. Yeah. Funny how I think of it as "new."