Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2014 Cervelo R5 vs 2010 Emonda SL6 PRO

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2014 Cervelo R5 vs 2010 Emonda SL6 PRO

Old 06-27-20, 03:02 PM
Gorm019

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014 Cervelo R5 vs 2021 Emonda SL6 PRO

Hey all,

Looking for some opinions here. I'm currently riding a 2014 R5 which I bought off pink bike and have built up a bit. I've recently seen the new 2021 Emonda and am considering upgrading (?). However, I don't have the budget to spring for the SLR 9 top tier option. I'm very interested in what the SL6 PRO has to offer, disc brakes, aero design, threaded bb, carbon wheels, etc. My concern is that I will be giving up Cervelo performance for a jump in technology and I'm not sure the Emonda will live up to my older R5. My R5 weighs 15.4lbs and the Emonda comes in stock at 17.7.

Also, lifetime warranty on frame and wheels from Trek vs no warranty on my second hand Cervelo.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks!

Last edited by Gorm019; 06-29-20 at 06:42 AM.
Old 06-27-20, 03:17 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
While that seems to me to be a lateral move at best, I would say with absolute certainty, ride the Trek first. Take your shoes and pedals and ride it properly, 30 minutes or more.

If that's not an option, it's an absolute dealbreaker. No deal.
Old 06-27-20, 06:03 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
What size are you? You might be able to pick up an R5 Disc frameset from someone like Excel for $2k and then piece it together.
Old 06-27-20, 06:32 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Sorry I do not see what you’re getting other than the Trek is a new bicycle. Is there something inherently wrong with your bike where you need to replace it? For example you said threaded bottom bracket, are you having problems with your BBright? If not why change?

I think any money spent should be used for upgrading your bicycle. That is of course if it needs any upgrades. It sounds like you have super light bicycle that is more than adequate.

Desire and needs are two different things.
Old 06-27-20, 06:58 PM
Gorm019

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whyfi
what size are you? You might be able to pick up an r5 disc frameset from someone like excel for $2k and then piece it together.
Old 06-27-20, 06:59 PM
Gorm019

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Sorry I do not see what you’re getting other than the Trek is a new bicycle. Is there something inherently wrong with your bike where you need to replace it? For example you said threaded bottom bracket, are you having problems with your BBright? If not why change?

I think any money spent should be used for upgrading your bicycle. That is of course if it needs any upgrades. It sounds like you have super light bicycle that is more than adequate.

Desire and needs are two different things.
It does need a new bb.