Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Bells Bike Shop

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 03:50 PM
gasian
gimme your bikes!

Bikes: yamaguchi's sakai 2000 sport frame: fixed gear conversion.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by time bandit
Steve Bell is fine. he does TONS of business and the complaints would represent 1% of all the stuff he sell's. if you come at him like a dick, he's not going to be too interested in helping you resolve the situation. he doesnt have to. he does very well for himself.

You people have to understand that shipping damage is real and probably the reason for most of these complaints.

But im sure like most business' he gets a lot of angry customers and like some business' doesnt seem to take a lot of bs from butthurt hipsters. be nice and civil about your complaint and i'm sure he'd be happy to help you.
Um... then can someone explain to me why the dude replaces people's order with cheaper parts they never ordered? Each person's opinion is based on their own experience with Bell's. He might have gotten your stuff right but what about the tons of people he screwed over. There might be many angry customers, but if the owner is responsive and orderly with the customers, why would they have any reason to complain?

By the way I am not a "butthurt hipsters" and I've been waiting 2 months for my order. Still not here.
Old 07-28-09, 04:01 PM
psirue
curmudgeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why would you even wait 2 months? cancel your order / demand a refund / stop payment. and if you're in chicago, you have no excuse for ordering custom wheels online -- go see marcus (or any of the excellent wheelbuilders in your city that need your business).
Old 07-28-09, 10:31 PM
wr1020

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought pedals and toe straps from them and my transaction went fine. Packaging was a little bad but the items were fine which is all that matters.
Old 07-29-09, 01:20 PM
gasian
gimme your bikes!

Bikes: yamaguchi's sakai 2000 sport frame: fixed gear conversion.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psirue
why would you even wait 2 months? cancel your order / demand a refund / stop payment. and if you're in chicago, you have no excuse for ordering custom wheels online -- go see marcus (or any of the excellent wheelbuilders in your city that need your business).
If I got the same wheels built by Marcus, it would be $200 dollars more than what I paid for at Bell's. Obviously, I did not know I'd be screwed over. Dude if I could've gotten a refund, I would've, of course I tried to demand a refund and cancel my order, but I never got any reply. I even contacted the police, but they say it's a civil matter, so I'd have to sue them. Anyways, after threatening bell with the law, they finally shipped my wheels.
Old 07-29-09, 03:27 PM
jim-bob
hateful little monkey

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skinnyland
Lesson: buy local.
can't quote this enough.
Old 07-29-09, 11:18 PM
zeBRAHz
likes black bikes

Bikes: 2008 DK General Lee, Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Your shipment was accepted/picked up at 4:22 PM on July 27, 2009 in PHILADELPHIA, PA 19147"

still no package and i'm one state away...
Old 07-30-09, 01:47 AM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
Steve Bell is fine. he does TONS of business and the complaints would represent 1% of all the stuff he sell's. if you come at him like a dick, he's not going to be too interested in helping you resolve the situation. he doesnt have to. he does very well for himself.

You people have to understand that shipping damage is real and probably the reason for most of these complaints.

But im sure like most business' he gets a lot of angry customers and like some business' doesnt seem to take a lot of bs from butthurt hipsters. be nice and civil about your complaint and i'm sure he'd be happy to help you.
I don't make a habit on contradicting people, but everything about this is wrong. In my (long) life, I've never had such a bad transaction, and I was being super careful and polite with the guy. I'm sure I would never have gotten my order shipped if not for the PayPal dispute process. But PayPal wasn't interested that my wheels were damaged and the shipment was missing parts. Bell's wasn't interested either.

Bell's may have a ton of successful (simple) transactions, where the order process is on auto-pilot, but if you're not one of those, and you have a problem with them, you're sol.
Old 07-30-09, 01:05 PM
dinosore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered a pair of NJS straps where they showed the NJS stamp on the straps in the picture then when i got the straps no NJS stamp and the straps are real ****ty ridning them for about a week and a half and the "leather" is falling apart...bells bike shop aint got anything of good quality by the sounds of it.
Old 07-30-09, 06:59 PM
peabodypride
No plan.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can vouch for Steve Bell as a good in-person seller. I got a wheel stolen one night and called him up at 11am the next morning, telling him precisely what I wanted. He had it custom built and ready to pick up within five hours, all for a good price (only charging a little extra for the emergency timeframe).

He's genuinely a good guy, but he only has four or five employees and so many orders. If you're nice to him he'll be nice to you, he's just overworked.
Old 08-02-09, 08:54 AM
na975

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
bell's bike= poopy seler.

Old 08-02-09, 02:10 PM
time bandit
¡Senor Member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sunburst
I don't make a habit on contradicting people, but everything about this is wrong. In my (long) life, I've never had such a bad transaction, and I was being super careful and polite with the guy. I'm sure I would never have gotten my order shipped if not for the PayPal dispute process. But PayPal wasn't interested that my wheels were damaged and the shipment was missing parts. Bell's wasn't interested either.

Bell's may have a ton of successful (simple) transactions, where the order process is on auto-pilot, but if you're not one of those, and you have a problem with them, you're sol.
thats nice. did you take up your complaint with the shipping company?
Old 08-02-09, 02:56 PM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Define local?
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 08-02-09, 03:00 PM
rickrickrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rcthomas
thinking about buying a weinmann dp 18 wheelset from them...questioning it, now. any suggestions of other cheap places to buy from?

wheelandsprocket ebay store, really legit fast shipping
Old 08-02-09, 06:30 PM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

-One customer complaint is one to many for most businesses.

-So a customer should be all kiss ass having laid out money for damaged, substituted or never delivered goods?

-Proper packing prevents shipping damage. He's not shipping Faberge eggs here.

The guy sounds like a real ******.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 08-02-09, 08:12 PM
glacialreign

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bought a u lock from bells bike shop ebay store, came to me in about a week (im from aus).
no complaints
Old 08-02-09, 08:38 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
I was doing an over time right next door to them once, I went in in uniform and they were real cool with me, but the workers there weren't very impressive, but like a dumbass I went back to the shop the next day when I was off duty (civi clothes) as I was in the market for a full suspension MTB, from the moment I walked in they treated me like I wasn't worth their time, every time I asked about a bike they always started the repy with,"Oh, that bike is a lot of money." Till finally I got upset and said,"Wow! seems like everything in this shop is to expensive for me! but when I came in here in unifrom yesterday you guys were all over me!" I bought a bike a few weeks later at Jays Pedal Power on Girard Ave. and rode it up there on my next over time, they all went ape **** over it and still didn't recognize me as the guy told me he would have given me a good deall on a MTB! I reminded him that I was indeed there and that they treated me like crap! he apologized for "whoever treated me like that." I grabbed up my bike and laughed as I said,"It was you dumbass!" So yeah, I'd say I had a bad experience.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

Last edited by ilikebikes; 08-02-09 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-02-09, 08:55 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jim-bob
can't quote this enough.
Buying local usually means paying to much.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 08-02-09, 08:55 PM
robotkiller

Bikes: Turner Czar, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ordered a stem and wheel from them. The heavy quill stem was just thown into the wheel box, which had no packing material, other than a single piece of cardboard keeping the wheel upright. Just picking up the box, you could hear the stem clanging around the box against the wheel. Unacceptable.
Old 08-02-09, 10:17 PM
PedallingATX
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a cheap pake crank from them and it took about 3 weeks to get it. Horrible seller. There are enough bad stories w/ them that I think we can safely say they are not a good company to do business w/. Sure, they may do a good job sometimes, but that isn't good enough for me. I wouldn't order from them again when there are so many great online stores to go through instead.

For weinmann/velocity wheelsets, wheel and sprocket does a good job. ships FAST.
Old 08-02-09, 11:37 PM
Madisonian
One-Jersey Wonder

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale CAAD9 R5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rcthomas
thinking about buying a weinmann dp 18 wheelset from them...questioning it, now. any suggestions of other cheap places to buy from?
I had a great experience buying DP18s from them, came in 4 days (good for free shipping) and in perfect condition. I would assume with the huge volume they sell, they are bound to have some bad shipments, and unfortunately (and naturally) those who have the worst experience are the most vocal. Not trying to defend them or anything, its just how it works, so YMMV
Old 08-02-09, 11:40 PM
Madisonian
One-Jersey Wonder

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale CAAD9 R5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickrickrick
This is also a good option.
Old 08-03-09, 01:15 PM
matthewlegs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by john ransom
Based on some of the reading on this particular thread, I'm now hoping my wheels actually have Formula hubs. Any idea how I'd actually know?

Thanks,
-John
Go here:

https://www.formulahubs.com/

Click on "Track" scroll over to page 3/4. The Formula hubs should look like model TH50 for the front and TH51 or TH52 for the rear. They should have those cutouts and not necessarily the Formula branding.
This is all if you bought the high flange track model, of course, which seems to be the most common.
Old 08-03-09, 01:34 PM
allez
means go

Bikes: '06 Pedal Force RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ilikebikes
Buying local usually means paying to much.
Annnnd supporting your local economy.
Old 08-03-09, 01:38 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by rickrickrick
I'll second that. I recently got a sprocket that was poorly made. So I called them, they answered instantly and within 15 minutes emailed me an RMA with a prepaid FEDEX return label. Gave me a full refund as soon as they received it. Now that's what I call customer service.
Old 08-03-09, 02:11 PM
time bandit
¡Senor Member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ilikebikes
I was doing an over time right next door to them once, I went in in uniform and they were real cool with me, but the workers there weren't very impressive, but like a dumbass I went back to the shop the next day when I was off duty (civi clothes) as I was in the market for a full suspension MTB, from the moment I walked in they treated me like I wasn't worth their time, every time I asked about a bike they always started the repy with,"Oh, that bike is a lot of money." Till finally I got upset and said,"Wow! seems like everything in this shop is to expensive for me! but when I came in here in unifrom yesterday you guys were all over me!" I bought a bike a few weeks later at Jays Pedal Power on Girard Ave. and rode it up there on my next over time, they all went ape **** over it and still didn't recognize me as the guy told me he would have given me a good deall on a MTB! I reminded him that I was indeed there and that they treated me like crap! he apologized for "whoever treated me like that." I grabbed up my bike and laughed as I said,"It was you dumbass!" So yeah, I'd say I had a bad experience.
i doubt the validity of this post as bell's is not exactly a bike shop you walk into. are you thinking of mike's bikes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.