Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fuji Obey....is it really that bad?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-10, 01:12 AM
Triple8Sol
manonthemoon

Bikes: Current custom builds: FG=KHS Flite 100 DH=Transition Blindside FR=Transition Bottlerocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been wanting to get rid of my KHS Flite 100 frame for awhile now b/c I hate the fender eyelets and have been wanting a lugged frame. I waited for the lugged Kilo since they first announced it, but now that they're here, I'm not digging any of the initiale colors. Who know when they'll release more colors and if I'll like any of them.

I've come across a killer deal on a used Fuji Obey complete. I know there's alot of hate on the Fuji x Obey because of the collabo, selling out, blah blah. I like it b/c of the matte color, subtle graphics, Maxway, and classic look since it's lugged with threaded fork/headset and streamlined w/o any braze-ons/bosses/etc... Also has a some nice parts, such as the Miche Primato cranks and Brooks Swift saddle.

Apparently it's basically an SE, but is it PB or PA? It's listed as cromo, but does anyone know what kind exactly? Also, is it really that bad in terms of anything real like geo/durability/etc... or is it just general hipster hate for the Obey association?

Last edited by Triple8Sol; 10-17-10 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-17-10, 01:19 AM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that bike is great, I just don't like the gold parts or the insanely stupid price tag. It is a 4130 frame I believe, and it's by Maxway, doubleplusgood.

If you could look past the Obey association, it is a wonderful wonderful bike.
Old 10-17-10, 02:54 AM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.thebikebiz.com/Fuji_Obey_...trk-fuji04.htm

I've come across a killer deal on a used Fuji Obey complete.
Jump on it if you perceive it as a killer deal. You'll be the one riding it, so wgafwos ? I doubt I could lock this up anywhere in Miami, FL, it would be joined at the hip wherever I went with it. "If my bike isn't welcome, then I'm not welcome" kind of thing.
Old 10-17-10, 06:44 AM
Triple8Sol
manonthemoon

Bikes: Current custom builds: FG=KHS Flite 100 DH=Transition Blindside FR=Transition Bottlerocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually like gold anodized components, hell I'm running gold Veeps now, which I'd prob replace the stock black ones with. The Fuji def has way too much gold and I heard that it doesn't all match either, so I would make some changes. Stuff like: drill the fork for a front brake, swap out the gold seatpost/stem/bars for black ones, and throw on my brown Charge Spoon saddle for the Brooks which I'd sell. Still undecided about the gold headset, although prob ditch that too since I'll be adding my gold Deep V's instead of the stock black ones though.

Can anyone else confirm if it's 4130 like Vixtor thinks? If so it's basically the same as the double butted 520 on my KHS now right? So then at least it wouldn't be a downgrade, and prob similar weight/strength/feel.
Old 10-17-10, 08:10 AM
Scaught

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Fuji Obey and the reason I bought it was I got the frame/custom built lugged fork from Circle A cycles, complete with a Ritchey stem/seatpost, Deda Pista bars, and a Cane Creek headset for 300$. Great deal if you ask me. I'm not sure what you're paying, but there are other options if you want to go the lugged route that won't cost you 1,000$. It sounds like you have decent enough parts already and you're going to be switching a lot of them out.

If you do buy it, sell me that brooks!
Old 10-17-10, 08:17 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
I would assume he'd be keeping the Brooks, considering that's one of the things he said he liked about the bike.

The frameset is nice. Maxway FTW.
Old 10-17-10, 11:39 AM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe you should see a therapist about eyeletphobia before you drop a few hundred on a new bike. Seriously? You want to switch bikes because the one you own has fender eyelets? I only wish I owned an LBS near you—I think I could sell anything to you.... then convince you a week later that it's too ugly for someone at your advanced skill level. Repeat.
Old 10-17-10, 12:10 PM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
your decision is fine, but for someone that i imagine would be quite practical, your justifications are idiotic.

α
Old 10-17-10, 03:11 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Yeah man I like this bike theres a guy selling a complete build around me for like 500 its a nice bike not for me though. Ive also seen the framesets selling for under 400.
Old 10-17-10, 03:34 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
I've been wanting to get rid of my KHS Flite 100 frame for awhile now b/c I hate the fender eyelets and have been wanting a lugged frame. I waited for the lugged Kilo since they first announced it, but now that they're here, I'm not digging any of the initiale colors. Who know when they'll release more colors and if I'll like any of them.
Since you're that concerned with looks, don't stress about quality. You probably won't notice the difference anyway. But you will notice those ugly eyelets and non-matching colors *roll eyes*
Likes For FastJake:
Old 10-17-10, 03:46 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by jtgotsjets
Maybe you should see a therapist about eyeletphobia before you drop a few hundred on a new bike. Seriously? You want to switch bikes because the one you own has fender eyelets?
Did you miss the part where he said he wants a lugged frame?
Old 10-17-10, 08:08 PM
xkillemallx16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
Since you're that concerned with looks, don't stress about quality. You probably won't notice the difference anyway. But you will notice those ugly eyelets and non-matching colors *roll eyes*
Yes, and what did you buy the trispoke in your picture for?
Old 10-17-10, 09:25 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Partially for looks. But I also read this article, "Aero Wheels Under Scrutiny" before I bought it:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/wheel/grignon.htm

It's not just some Aerospoke. (If you're wondering why I don't have the matching rear, it's because the guy only had one for sale.) Yes, I want my bikes to look cool. But the OP seemed to care about colors, style and nothing else.
Old 10-17-10, 09:30 PM
Triple8Sol
manonthemoon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL @ the hypocrites like jtgotsjets & FastJake that are so quick to judgement that they don't even read thoroughly. Thankfully I can always count on Scrod to point out their idiocy.

Anyways, like I said in my very first post, I've been wanting a lugged frame with threaded fork/headset for awhile now, but of course wouldn't want to downgrade to lower quality steel. The fender eyelets on my KHS aren't that big a deal, obviously, since I chose the frame for my custom build last year. I just don't like them and didn't want another frame with them. Simple as that. Oh and my KHS just a tad big, so this Fuji fits a little better.

I should add that the Fuji Obey is complete and stock for $400. Even less after I sell the Brooks, because I'm not interested in those and love my Charge Spoon, although prob add a few extra bucks when all the parts swapping/upgrading is said and done.

Again, I'm not asking anyone to make a decision for me or whatever. Just want to make sure there's not actually something negative about the bike that I'm missing. I don't give a **** about the typical hipster bandwagon haters. So yeah, can anyone else confirm that it's 4130, and also if it's butted or not? Thanks.

Last edited by Triple8Sol; 10-17-10 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-17-10, 09:52 PM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
my girlfriends charge ladle is pretty sweet.

α
Old 10-17-10, 09:56 PM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's double butted cromoly. There was a dude with a Fuji Obey tonight at the ride, it was tarcked out...650 front, 10" bars...sad...
Old 10-17-10, 10:08 PM
Triple8Sol
manonthemoon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vixtor
It's double butted cromoly.
Perfect. So basically the same as the butted 520 on my current frame. Guess I'm gonna pick it up...
Old 10-17-10, 10:44 PM
Scaught

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll repeat myself, but I'd love to take that Brooks off your hands!

Sorry, can't PM yet.
Old 10-17-10, 11:16 PM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Per the link I posted and confirming Vixtor's post:

The frame is lugged double butted cro-moly steel, and comes with a lugged threaded fork.
Also, click to enlarge the picture and you'll get several pictures:

https://www.thebikebiz.com/PhotoGalle...=BK-TRK-FUJI04

True, the golds don't match, but it's because they aren't the same standard component manufacturer. I could live with that from a perspective that it's a build that takes the best gold from each component manufacturer.

Last edited by fuji86; 10-17-10 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-17-10, 11:30 PM
Triple8Sol
manonthemoon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for reiterating that. Somehow I missed the link you posted earlier.

Does anyone know who makes the anodized gold parts (stem/bars/headset/seatpost)?
Old 10-18-10, 12:33 AM
bentchamber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they are made by fuji.
How was the ride tonight vixtor? I was actually going to come out on my classic roadie but completely forgot about it.
Dont get the fuji if you are just going to change all the parts.
If your looking for a lugged steel frame keep looking around until you can find somthing vintage, cheap and decent, the fuji is no upgrade from what you have now.

my 2 cents
Old 10-18-10, 12:54 AM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bentchamber
How was the ride tonight vixtor? I was actually going to come out on my classic roadie but completely forgot about it.
Dude, it was really fun but really dark...I posted a little post-ride report on FixedVan. The dudes who organized it went to my highschool, they're pretty into the tarck stuff and tricks.

He said he's going to be doing this every other sunday...or maybe this sunday.
Old 10-18-10, 10:31 AM
cab chaser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd be too embarrassed to ride that bike without stripping it completely of its "identity" first.
Old 10-18-10, 11:55 AM
fuji86

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Thanks for reiterating that. Somehow I missed the link you posted earlier.

Does anyone know who makes the anodized gold parts (stem/bars/headset/seatpost)?
They are Fuji, and now that I look at the pics, it appears the golds don't match, but lighting and angle have a lot to do with that. I'd be inclined to say the Miche (crank & gear system) & Wellgo (pedals) parts are the non-matching gold from any of the Fuji components, without having one right in front of me.
Old 10-18-10, 12:09 PM
fuji86

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cab chaser
I'd be too embarrassed to ride that bike without stripping it completely of its "identity" first.
Money being no object, I think it would be a privilege to ride one from it's appearance, it's a striking theme. Chrome & silver anodized with a black frame isn't far removed from the gold accented Obey ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.