Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does anyone use a mirror?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-11, 11:22 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I tried a helmet mirror but found it useless. My head was never at the right angle, I could see a lot of my left shoulder, and even when adjusted properly it was tiny and my brain learned to ignore that zone of my vision anyway. Looking over my shoulder was necessary and far better.

I am on the verge of trying the Sprintech road bar-end mirrors. They're at least 3x larger than the helmet mirror I tried.
Old 09-27-11, 11:34 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I like my Take-a-Look.

Point of order...WTF is a Fred Lunchpail thread like this doing in the road forum? We really need a Fred sub forum as a compliment to the 33.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 09-27-11, 11:51 AM
Hunt-man
Tete de Couch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
Actually, the best defense for rear-approaching cars is listening for them. You'll hear them way before you see them in a mirror.
Sorry but your statement is completely untrue. I went to a small mirror kicking and screaming when I did Cycle Oregon last year. Now I don't want to ride without it. I can lead a pace line and call out traffic back, long before anyone could possibly every hear the car. Very easy to check 6 and know when a car is 1/4 mile away and on the way. Way better then the surprise passes I used to experience when I was trying to listen and look with no mirror.

I think the mirror has saved me from being wacked at least twice by cars, mainly when I wasn't paying much attention and was wandering out into the middle of the road.

This is the mirror I use and like:
https://www.rei.com/product/752285/bi...:referralID=NA

Last edited by Hunt-man; 09-27-11 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-27-11, 01:46 PM
reshp1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hunt-man
That's the one I use too. works great and easy to adjust

I completely disagree with the listening for cars part. With oncoming traffic and wind, it's very easy for cars to sneak up on you without hearing them first.

Also, I suspect the people who didn't like helmet/glasses mirrors because all they could see was their shoulder/back didn't have the mirror adjusted propery. You are supposed to have the mirror tilted off to the side a little, such that to look directly behind you, you have to tilt your head 10-15 degrees to the left. This swings the mirror out past where your shoulder would block the view. My point of reference is that I want my ear just out of the edge of the mirror.
Old 09-27-11, 02:04 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by reshp1
Also, I suspect the people who didn't like helmet/glasses mirrors because all they could see was their shoulder/back didn't have the mirror adjusted propery. You are supposed to have the mirror tilted off to the side a little, such that to look directly behind you, you have to tilt your head 10-15 degrees to the left.
I did that with a helmet mirror and instead of tilting my head left (and frequently up/down) to see a tiny, nearly useless image I would rather just look over my shoulder.

What I want a mirror for is to be able to see clearly behind me while moving only my eyes. Ideally it would be in my peripheral vision without even doing that, so that I can see headlights and/or motion without having to periodically look for it.
Old 09-27-11, 02:30 PM
reshp1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
I did that with a helmet mirror and instead of tilting my head left (and frequently up/down) to see a tiny, nearly useless image I would rather just look over my shoulder.
I don't discount your experience, but for me a ~3/4" mirror that close to the eye is actually quite large. I find mine too big in fact, since it blocks some of my forward vision. I really don't find glancing over by a quick tilt of the head is any more trouble than checking the mirrors in my car when driving. It becomes second nature after a while.
Old 09-27-11, 06:24 PM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most people will take the 5th on this issue.
Old 09-27-11, 07:45 PM
AlexZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate the helmet and glasses mounted mirrors.
They put a blind spot in your forward vision and are a constant source of distraction, but the over the shoulder and under the arm pit thing will only work for so many years....and then you realize you are no longer quick enough or limber enough.
So the only solution I see is the bar-end mounted mirror. Which brand is another matter. They are cheap enough to try them all until you find what works best for you.
But don't depend on hearing alone.
Old 09-27-11, 08:05 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I tried them decades ago but they all vibrated so much- drove me nuts.
Old 09-27-11, 08:30 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to have a helmet mirror, but I found it blocked my vision.

then I found one that attaches to the STI lever. it's great. wider field of vision and doesn't block what i can see. love it.i think it's made by mirrcycle
Old 09-27-11, 08:58 PM
desertdork
just pokin' along

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually, the best defense for rear-approaching cars is listening for them. You'll hear them way before you see them in a mirror.
Well, mere listening doesn't help with pusher buses and RVs. Plenty of those here.
Old 09-27-11, 09:06 PM
ballistic

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix ACR 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the sunglasses.

I'd try the Italian one if it wasn't $30.
Old 09-27-11, 10:33 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hunt-man
Sorry but your statement is completely untrue. I went to a small mirror kicking and screaming when I did Cycle Oregon last year. Now I don't want to ride without it. I can lead a pace line and call out traffic back, long before anyone could possibly every hear the car. Very easy to check 6 and know when a car is 1/4 mile away and on the way. Way better then the surprise passes I used to experience when I was trying to listen and look with no mirror.

I think the mirror has saved me from being wacked at least twice by cars, mainly when I wasn't paying much attention and was wandering out into the middle of the road.

This is the mirror I use and like:
https://www.rei.com/product/752285/bi...:referralID=NA
That's the exact mirror I tried (of many) because of all the good BF reviews on it.

For me - totally, utterly useless. I tried it for a month, thinking there was some way I could get it to work, but I just couldn't. Between riding 21+mph on the flats so I had no time to look into the small area to make out cars, swapping often between drops and hoods for speed, and chugging it hard on climbs, there was no way I could get a consistent, safe view of the road behind.

I'm curious of any of you die-hard mirror users are competitive roadies or ride with them with your mirror on hammerhead group rides. I see a lot of mirrors on the social-paced group rides around here, but absolutely zero mirrors on the competitive roadie rides. I don't think it's just the fred factor as well, based upon my experience - I found the mirror more of a hazard than a safety feature when riding 21+mph.

I've even seen rear racks and friggin panniers on the hammerhead group rides (you know if some dude shows up with panniers that they're going to TORCH the field - you don't show up with that nonaero stuff unless you know you're fast) but zero mirrors.
Old 09-27-11, 10:45 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts
I kwush'd mine when it could no longer tell me I was the most bootiful in the kingdum.
Old 09-27-11, 10:50 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fred uses a mirror.
Old 09-27-11, 10:54 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Take-a-Look, really like it. helmet mounted on visor

takes care of bar mounted vibrations
is not convex, so a truer idea of distances
can jump from bike to bike , same mirror , always there
you can see whats behind you even standing in a climb, very handy
can switch it easily if in a country riding on the other side
tough, doesnt seem very breakable
In my opinion, easy to set up or adjust, and it holds its position well (its not floppy or too loose)
optically is quite good.

plus Im too old to give a frack about using a mirror
Old 09-28-11, 12:46 AM
ddimick

Bikes: 2011 Look 566 Ultegra, 2010 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use this one. It doesn't look great, but it works very well. It stays where you put it and survived a crash that destroyed the helmet to which it was attached. The locals think it's goofy but most of them wear XXL lycra, so what the hell do they know?

Last edited by ddimick; 09-28-11 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-28-11, 04:06 AM
Ice41000

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pokey Rider
No. But I am not a Fred.
Old 09-28-11, 04:52 AM
sd790

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mirrors have zero cool factor and are therefore unacceptable - actually you get coolness demerits for using them. Use the Cerebellum Hindsight for a rear view mounted in your cockpit between your Garmin 800 and DI2 shifters and you'll be styling.
Old 09-28-11, 05:01 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
Most people will take the 5th on this issue.

"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 09-28-11, 05:05 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
I tried them decades ago but they all vibrated so much- drove me nuts.
I tried a laptop computer decades ago...they couldn't possibly have improved since then
Old 09-28-11, 05:07 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm curious of any of you die-hard mirror users are competitive roadies or ride with them with your mirror on hammerhead group rides.
Even I don't use a mirror when racing or on hammerhead group rides...and I'm like the queen of all freds.
Old 09-28-11, 05:10 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Those "italian mirrors" are neat
Personally I don't use a mirror ... I simply look between my arms or legs ... you need a pretty aggressive position for this though.
Old 09-28-11, 05:20 AM
BetweenRides
Dog Chaser

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Seven Evergreen, Merlin Cyrene, Trek TCT 5000, Trek Checkpoint

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
I tried a laptop computer decades ago...they couldn't possibly have improved since then
OMG, is that an Osborn? My first computer (at work).
Old 09-28-11, 09:08 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
So the principles of reflective glass have improved that much?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.