Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

3rd Annual Vintage & Steel Ride, Peoria, IL on Sept 29, 2018

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

3rd Annual Vintage & Steel Ride, Peoria, IL on Sept 29, 2018

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-18, 07:02 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by natterberry
Gentlemen,

I acquired a ticket for my event, so I won’t be able to attend this go round. Our meeting will have to wait for now.
Next year, perhaps?
Or just stop in and we can ride the route.

Steve in Peoria
p.s. that reminds me that I need to make a scouting ride up to Tanner's and make sure that their cider donuts are up to standards.
Old 09-04-18, 09:20 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
If you show up, we'll sell your ticket for you.
Old 09-04-18, 10:02 PM
schundog

Bikes: Masi CXR, Trek Crossrip 3, Trek 5500 OCLV, 1982 Bianchi SS, Civia Kingfield Belt-Drive Commuter, Cannondale T700, Cannondale R600, Cannondale R800, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert, 1988 Peugeot Nice, Marin Bobcat Trail 3 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
I grew up in Bradford, IL, population 850 (on a good day), 12 miles from Tanners Orchard. Beautiful country, rolling hills of golden corn as far as the eye can see that time of year. I live in Bloomington, IL, now, only 70 to 80 miles away, and just happen to have several vintage steel road steeds;

1. 1985 Trek 470 "400 Series" with Shimano 600 group set standard
2. 1982 Bianchi Super Sport
3. 19?? Motobecane Grand Touring
4. 1992 Trek 1100 Aluminum (obviously NOT steel, haha)

I also have a 1992 Trek 5500 OCLV Carbon in the "vintage" stable, These aren't show pieces; I'd feel comfortable riding any of them the 40 miles plus of this or any other ride.

I hope to be able to make it, but can't commit this far out until I check the family calendar. Thanks for putting this together!
Old 09-05-18, 04:49 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by schundog
I hope to be able to make it, but can't commit this far out until I check the family calendar. Thanks for putting this together!
Tell them it's an emergency.
Old 09-05-18, 06:35 AM
schundog

Bikes: Masi CXR, Trek Crossrip 3, Trek 5500 OCLV, 1982 Bianchi SS, Civia Kingfield Belt-Drive Commuter, Cannondale T700, Cannondale R600, Cannondale R800, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert, 1988 Peugeot Nice, Marin Bobcat Trail 3 29er MTB.

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Tell them it's an emergency.
Well, they have had Tanners Apple Cider Doughnuts; they would understand WHY this is an emergency!
Old 09-05-18, 09:38 AM
steelbikeguy

I grew up in Bradford, IL, population 850 (on a good day), 12 miles from Tanners Orchard. Beautiful country, rolling hills of golden corn as far as the eye can see that time of year. I live in Bloomington, IL, now, only 70 to 80 miles away, and just happen to have several vintage steel road steeds;

1. 1985 Trek 470 "400 Series" with Shimano 600 group set standard
2. 1982 Bianchi Super Sport
3. 19?? Motobecane Grand Touring
4. 1992 Trek 1100 Aluminum (obviously NOT steel, haha)

I also have a 1992 Trek 5500 OCLV Carbon in the "vintage" stable, These aren't show pieces; I'd feel comfortable riding any of them the 40 miles plus of this or any other ride.

It would be great to have you join us! There are a handful of Bloomington/Normal folks here on the C&V list. Julian Westerhout (who is more of a Classic Rendezvous guy) came over from Bloomington last year, bringing his lovely Specialized Sequoia.

Like a lot of midwest towns, Bradford is a small community that provides the basics to its residents. I live around 30 miles south, and finally got around to riding up there this year! I mostly just stopped at the Casey's for some orange juice and snacks, but did take a quick look at the old library at the city park. Neat bit of architecture!

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-05-18, 07:19 PM
schundog

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
It would be great to have you join us! There are a handful of Bloomington/Normal folks here on the C&V list. Julian Westerhout (who is more of a Classic Rendezvous guy) came over from Bloomington last year, bringing his lovely Specialized Sequoia.

Like a lot of midwest towns, Bradford is a small community that provides the basics to its residents. I live around 30 miles south, and finally got around to riding up there this year! I mostly just stopped at the Casey's for some orange juice and snacks, but did take a quick look at the old library at the city park. Neat bit of architecture!

Steve in Peoria
Small world, I know Julian from the biking community here in Bloomington Normal. He is a very kind, (very TALL, too!) funny, scary smart guy who, in addition to riding solo, rides a tandem with his very tiny wife; they make it work, and really fly! He is a member of our biking advocacy group, Bike BloNo, is part of the Friends of Constitution Trail, and, if he doesn't make this ride, it's probably because he is volunteering that Saturday morning at the West Bloomington Revitalization (WBRP) Bike Co-op. To say I admire the guy is an understatement.

As the son of THE High School English teacher in town, I spent a lot of time in the upstairs of that library building in the mid 70s to early 80s reading Hardy Boys, old Westerns, and Steven King books as I got older. Of course, I rode my Red White and Blue Stars and Stripes Banana Seat bike the 2 blocks there... The downstairs of the library was really more of just a meeting hall, where my Dad attended countless Lion's Club Meetings. Sorry for the Thread Hijack; like I said, I really hope to make the ride!
Old 09-05-18, 08:19 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Next year, perhaps?
Or just stop in and we can ride the route.

Steve in Peoria
p.s. that reminds me that I need to make a scouting ride up to Tanner's and make sure that their cider donuts are up to standards.
I have some work stuff the next few weekends, but this shifting weather sure is nice...

If you show up, we'll sell your ticket for you.
Haha thank you, but this one isn’t transferrable. I had a limb fall on the house, so I’ve had to cancel a couple other things also. Dang trees...
Old 09-06-18, 08:26 AM
steelbikeguy

Small world, I know Julian from the biking community here in Bloomington Normal. He is a very kind, (very TALL, too!) funny, scary smart guy who, in addition to riding solo, rides a tandem with his very tiny wife; they make it work, and really fly! He is a member of our biking advocacy group, Bike BloNo, is part of the Friends of Constitution Trail, and, if he doesn't make this ride, it's probably because he is volunteering that Saturday morning at the West Bloomington Revitalization (WBRP) Bike Co-op. To say I admire the guy is an understatement.
Good to hear that you know Julian!
I bumped into him on Classic Rendezvous, and usually see him on the annual "Meet in the Middle Ride" at Mackinaw, where our two bike clubs meet for a snack. I've had the pleasure of meeting his wife and seeing their Bilenky-built tandem. Neat stuff!
edit: the next Meet in the Middle ride is scheduled for Sept 22. I plan to attend. See you there??

A large part of why I throw my ride together is to help get us vintage folks in contact with each other. As helpful as the internet is, there's nothing like chatting in person, sharing stories and problems, and maybe finding out who else rides bikes in your size.

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-06-18, 11:38 AM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Ok.
I’m officially throwing my hat over this wall. I’m going.
I’m driving from Chicago, if anyone from the city wants to car pool, I have a van.
Lets do this. 🚴🏻*♂️
Old 09-06-18, 02:09 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
Ok.
I’m officially throwing my hat over this wall. I’m going.
I’m driving from Chicago, if anyone from the city wants to car pool, I have a van.
Lets do this. 🚴🏻*♂️
excellent! Always good to build relations between Chicagoland and Downstate!
I believe Mr. Crankaddict has mentioned attending too. He's somewhere in the Chicagoland zone, IIRC. Maybe that's an opportunity for car pooling?
(pinging @Crankaddict )

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-06-18, 05:21 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I'll reach out to Scott (crank_addict). Also Barrettscv in E StL (Illinois side)...
Old 09-10-18, 04:09 PM
steelbikeguy

As part of my responsibilities as ride leader, I made time to pedal up to Tanners and ensure that their bakery was running and producing donuts of the expected quality...
Results: the donuts are fully up to spec! <..burp...> I had to eat two of them, in order to get a reasonable statistical sampling.

They've got the exterior decorations in place for the season:

and the bakery was characteristically uncrowded for an early Sunday morning...

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-11-18, 05:58 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Barrettscv and crank_addict can't make it. Upstaters in Illinois, you know, averse to driving through corn.

But I will be meeting fellow miscreants in Kentucky this weekend, so we'll see what can be drummed up.
Old 09-11-18, 08:19 AM
steelbikeguy

Barrettscv and crank_addict can't make it. Upstaters in Illinois, you know, averse to driving through corn.

But I will be meeting fellow miscreants in Kentucky this weekend, so we'll see what can be drummed up.
Well, the corn harvest will be in progress, and some of those grain truck drivers can be a bit fatigued and crazy.
Looking forward to getting at least a couple of the Chicagoland crowd to visit central Illinois!

Kentucky is a good deal further, so I don't expect folks to make that sort of drive for a small ride. I've gone down there for the 2015 NAHBS in Louisville, and a handful of times to Georgetown for the Horsey Hundred ride. Good times!

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-11-18, 11:01 PM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 125 Posts
I'm still seriously thinking about making this ride. I'll know more as the date gets closer.
Old 09-12-18, 05:53 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by 76SLT
I'm still seriously thinking about making this ride. I'll know more as the date gets closer.
I'll give you a 5800 RD if you make it. Maybe a beer, too.
Old 09-12-18, 07:07 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Sounds like a blast!

I'll be heading in the other direction into Wisconsin to get married that day, though, so I think I'll have to pass on this year's edition of the ride
Old 09-12-18, 09:39 AM
76SLT 

I'll give you a 5800 RD if you make it. Maybe a beer, too.
Incentives! Just enjoying the ride and meeting fellow bf members is always a good incentive. I'm between PawPaw and Earlville on a farm surrounded by corn fields so the ride should be very much like what I'm used to riding.

Last edited by 76SLT; 09-12-18 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-12-18, 03:11 PM
steelbikeguy

Incentives! Just enjoying the ride and meeting fellow bf members is always a good incentive. I'm between PawPaw and Earlville on a farm surrounded by corn fields so the ride should be very much like what I'm used to riding.
We've got cornfields that are home to a bunch of wind turbines, which should be quite similar to the area just west of you! Our density of wind turbines is much lower, though. It's still kind of mesmerizing to watch them.

Other than that, the Illinois river does have an influence on some of the scenery. The ride will travel along the river as we go south from Chillicothe. Here are a couple of shots from that stretch of road....

and the river bluffs themselves can be a great source of scenery...

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-12-18, 04:28 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Those wind turbines creep me out.
Old 09-12-18, 04:41 PM
76SLT 

It looks like it should be a beautiful ride.
Old 09-13-18, 04:20 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

It looks like it should be a beautiful ride.
Yeah, I think that guy should skip his wedding.....
Old 09-14-18, 11:40 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

Robbie: I can safely say that I've driven the interstate highways of Illinois from it's northern border to St. Louis more than anyone you will ever know and more than anyone ever should. More than 10 round trips this year alone. My next trip in early October will include Lake Geneva, Chicago, Indianapolis, Bloomington IN, Edwardsville IL and will return me to Wisconsin. Because I travel as much as I do, every mile and every night in a hotel is carefully considered.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-14-18 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-14-18, 10:07 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Robbie: I can safely say that I've driven the interstate highways of Illinois from it's northern border to St. Louis more than anyone you will ever know and more than anyone ever should. More than 10 round trips this year alone. My next trip in early October will include Lake Geneva, Chicago, Indianapolis, Bloomington IN, Edwardsville IL and will return me to Wisconsin. Because I travel as much as I do, every mile and every night in a hotel is carefully considered.
I hear you. I'm up to Bloomington and Indy 2x a week. 7 hours on the road of a 12-hour workday. Hoping weather calms down in those areas.

I just miss you bombing down hills and scaring the crap out of the carbon commandos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.