Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Greetings from Finger Lakes region, NY

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Old 04-26-20, 01:37 PM
R1de4fun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Noob here. I moved to the finger lake region in 2017. I have not been on a bike since 2003, did a little weekend mountain bike riding in my home state of Maryland back then. As a kid, I always rode bmx bikes.

Anyway there are some nice rail trails and the erie canal path up here in NY. I discovered a nice rail trail near my house and I can get on the erie canal path with a 15 minute car drive. The canal path runs right net to my office building.

I have been using the great information on this forum to build a single speed bike to get excercise. I took it out a few times last week for an hour each time. Today I rode two hours and it has been a lot of fun. Plan on riding it to work on the canal path when the covid lock down is lifted.

Just wanted to say hello and I'm really appreciating this forum and all of the great info.
Likes For R1de4fun:
Old 04-26-20, 02:13 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Welcome aboard!
Likes For Rage:
Old 04-27-20, 09:09 AM
mtb cheaha

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your contribution. You will find plenty of support here. Enjoy your rides. Be safe.
Old 04-27-20, 09:23 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Welcome, BikeForums membership has been a huge help to me in learning and implementing bike mechanics. I have been a road bike for close to 5 decades and only did basic cleaning/maintenance on my own. I started to buy tools and delve into self servicing a couple of years ago. I will never be a really good and efficient mechanic, but I eventually get to the finish. A lack of patience has always been something I struggle with. Sometimes, I just have to walk away and return to the chore at a later time.
Old 04-27-20, 09:41 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by R1de4fun

Just wanted to say hello and I'm really appreciating this forum and all of the great info.
Welcome!

My mom grew up in Penn Yan - a very beautiful area and lots of nice roads and paths to ride in upstate NY.

I think there are some other BF members from the Finger Lakes. There is a Northeast regional forum if you want to try to connect: https://www.bikeforums.net/northeast/
Old 04-27-20, 09:57 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 718 Posts
Welcome, I moved from the "Finger Lakes Region" in 2017, though it was the northern most point in the region way up in Sterling and took over 40 mins to hit one of the lakes or the Erie Canal trail. The actual finger lakes is a really nice area with some really pretty scenery and places to ride. Enjoy the single speed but once you get farther afield you'll either need tree trunk legs or something with real gears. There's also some great MTBing there, lots to explore.
Old 04-27-20, 10:09 AM
R1de4fun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Welcome, BikeForums membership has been a huge help to me in learning and implementing bike mechanics. I have been a road bike for close to 5 decades and only did basic cleaning/maintenance on my own. I started to buy tools and delve into self servicing a couple of years ago. I will never be a really good and efficient mechanic, but I eventually get to the finish. A lack of patience has always been something I struggle with. Sometimes, I just have to walk away and return to the chore at a later time.
Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it. I understand how that goes. I used to work on my BMX bikes as a kid. It was more of a take them apart to see what makes them tick type thing. But that's how I learn I things . I pretty much did that with different things. Radios, electronic games and computers when they started showing up. Guess that's how I am in the IT field now :-). I have two young boys now so I have to walk away a lot from doing projects but it has made more patient. But when I was younger I always wanted to get things done and to be honest I made more mistakes that way. So walking away , for me was a good way to take more time to think about what I was doing.
Old 04-27-20, 10:24 AM
R1de4fun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
Welcome!

My mom grew up in Penn Yan - a very beautiful area and lots of nice roads and paths to ride in upstate NY.

I think there are some other BF members from the Finger Lakes. There is a Northeast regional forum if you want to try to connect:
I am in Canandaigua and work in near Rochester. I have passed through Penn Yan a couple times, driving through to Watkins Glen. The lakes up here are awesome. Great scenery and I enjoy being outdoors so I am really enjoying living here.

They tell me the wine here is awesome as well. I have tried a few but I am more of a beer guy.
Old 04-27-20, 10:31 AM
R1de4fun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Welcome, I moved from the "Finger Lakes Region" in 2017, though it was the northern most point in the region way up in Sterling and took over 40 mins to hit one of the lakes or the Erie Canal trail. The actual finger lakes is a really nice area with some really pretty scenery and places to ride. Enjoy the single speed but once you get farther afield you'll either need tree trunk legs or something with real gears. There's also some great MTBing there, lots to explore.
Thanks for the Welcome Russ. Where did you move to? Sitting behind a desk all of these years has caught up to me. The past few years have been busy with having kids that it has been hard to find time to excersise. Not an excuse, but life gets in the way sometimes. Anyway, I plan on sticking with the single speed and build up my strength and endurance. I have not explored the Mountain bike trails yet but I will in the future. I still have my 2003 Trek MTB. It was an entry level 6700 but still in great shape. Down the road, who knows, I might buy a new one.