Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for Advice on Orthotics

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-20, 06:26 PM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 33 Posts

I have trouble with plantar fasciitis in my right foot from time to time. I bought the Bontrager Inform BioDynamic Mid Arch Insoles a couple of years back and that seemed to help. I'm having pain again, typically starting at about the 30 mile mark. I was thinking of replacing the Bontragers, not sure if they wear out, or look for a better alternative. Has anybody had similar issues and l what did you do to alleviate the problem?
Old 06-04-20, 06:04 AM
Runngun

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In my experience different shoes require different levels of support. I have custom orthotics and Walk Hero insoles from Amazon. Most of my shoes are comfortable with the Walk Hero and they’re cheap enough I have multiple pairs so I’m not constantly switching. Give them a try.
Old 06-04-20, 07:16 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
I'm confused. In your post title, you ask for advice on orthotics, but in the post you ask for advice regarding how to alleviate pain with no mention of orthotics.

My advice would be to consult a podiatrist, in either situation. Find one who has training in Sports Medicine. Don't be afraid to shop around, and to go to try another if you're not satisfied. I have a good one, he's helped me with cycling and hiking, and my daughter with running (she required orthotic insoles for her running shoes, I am OK with over the counter footbeds with specific features).
Old 06-04-20, 07:24 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I stated having issues with plantars fasciitis last year at 57, but not on the bike, even after 3 hours. For me just plain Dr Scholls PF arch support or equivalent in all my shoes, including bike shoes has helped. I also try not to lounge about the house without shoes now.
Old 06-04-20, 08:01 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzzkill53120
I have trouble with plantar fasciitis in my right foot from time to time.
First off... Hi neighbor! I'm from WI as well

This may be of interest to you... or not. I began an adventure a few years ago to "improve my foot health" due to some aching toe joints. In addition, I've noticed that so many people have foot issues as they get older such as plantar fasciitis, bunions, hammer toe, etc., that it got me wondering... Do our feet just get warn-out over time or are we (everyone that has feet and wears shoes) actually doing something wrong?

My answer to this question after doing a lot of research and long-term experimentation is that we are doing something wrong.

Long-story-short, our feet are amazing mechanical structures that if exercised and strengthened properly will work very well. If one's foot is healthy and strong, all sorts of problems can potentially go away such as knee issues, hip issues, lower back issues, etc. So what are we doing wrong? We're wearing shoes! Well, the wrong type of shoes. The vast majority of shoes sold today are not designed to keep our feet healthy, they're designed to look cool. Shoes with cushy soles and pointy toes cause our feet to get weak (in particular, the arch), cause our toes to get all mangled, and cause a person to walk with a "heal strike" instead of walking on the balls of our feet as we were designed. Walking with a heal-strike sends shock up one's leg into the hips and back because one by-passes the suspension that's built into one's foot... i.e., the arch. (Do a test: Try running w/o shoes on. You won't run on your heals 'cause it will hurt like @#$@#, but most of us do land on our heals when wearing cushy shoes.) There's also the issue that today's shoes are made from synthetic materials that do not stretch over time like real leather did. As a result, your feet conform to the shoes instead of the other way around.

So what is the solution? How does this pertain to plantar plantar fasciitis? The path I started going down about 2 years ago was to start wearing "minimalist shoes". Shoes with no cushy soles, shoes with wide toe boxes to let my toes "splay", shoes with no heal so as to not screw-up my posture. Initially, switching to such shoes was crazy uncomfortable because my feet were so weak after 45+ years of wearing traditional shoes. However, after 2 years of strengthening my feet and wearing minimalist shoes, I won't go back to regular shoes. My feet love / prefer minimalist shoes... or no shoes at all. My feat are noticeably stronger (I can see see the difference) and I don't have foot issues.

But there's one huge problem if you buy-into what I'm selling. While minimalist shoes are becoming more common place for day-to-day shoes, most cycling shoes are built for people who have pencil-thin feet and going "minimalist" in a cycling shoe perhaps doesn't even make sense as you're not walking, you're biking. So what is the solution?

It's my opinion that "fixing your feet" must begin off the bike and there's no "quick fix" to reverse years of bad shoes causing foot problems. If you have issues with plantar fasciitis off the bike, it'll bother you on the bike as well. So it's my suggestion that one starts to slowly start walking barefoot or transitioning to minimalist shoes to slowly build-up your feet again. Strengthening and stretching your feet need to part of your daily habit. As you're fixing your feet off the bike, there are few brands of bike shoes that cater to different size feet that you might consider. My experience is that Lake and Bont are the two brands that seem to realize not everyone has feet shaped like pencils.

WARNING! Don't rush-out and buy new cycling shoes right away if you opt to strengthen your feet! The reason is that as your feet get stronger, your feet will get wider, your toes will splay more, and your current shoes won't fit. I used to wear a size 12.5 (US) and after switching to minimalist shoes, I now wear a size 14!

So that was a long answer to your short question(s). If you're looking for a "quick fix", try orthotics, try new cycling shoes, good luck. However, if you want to actually fix your feet for good, I invite you to try my advice. If you (or anyone) is interested in trying minimalist shoes for very low cost, I recommend starting with these cheap shoes on Amazon. If you just hate wearing them, then you're not out much money and you can always use the shoes for walking on the beach or something.
Old 06-05-20, 07:36 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzzkill53120
I have trouble with plantar fasciitis in my right foot from time to time. I bought the Bontrager Inform BioDynamic Mid Arch Insoles a couple of years back and that seemed to help. I'm having pain again, typically starting at about the 30 mile mark. I was thinking of replacing the Bontragers, not sure if they wear out, or look for a better alternative. Has anybody had similar issues and l what did you do to alleviate the problem?
The sole of the foot has a bit of a hollow just as the palm of the hand does. For some people, myself included, that hollow in the foot tends to flatten out causing pain. This can be cured with a metatarsal pad under the foot bed bed. https://www.myfootshop.com/metatarsa...iABEgJFy_D_BwE
Old 06-05-20, 07:42 AM
Buzzkill53120

Thanks to PoorInRichfield (thanks for the shout out!) for his in-depth response. I did some research on minimalist shows and that sounds interesting. This may a good solution for the long term. For the short term I may try a OTC insole inserts in both cycling and walking shoes and see if that helps. If not, as no imagination mentioned, going to a podiatrist who specializes in sports medicine.
Old 06-05-20, 07:53 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
As a runner, I have to disagree with minimalist shoes and foot strength being the total answer. I started transitioning away from minimalist shoes this past year. Despite foot strengthening, wearing minimalist zero drop shoes for years, I was having plantar issues. I have been able to find a lot of relief with stretching and rolling my calf muscles. But I have also found myself increasingly using inserts as well as shoes with some cushioning in addition to the inserts. At 55, I doubt there is an easy fix. I find that training on bike and on foot take a different approach than they used to, that while I can still perform at a reasonable level. Some gains are feasible, but they are definitely earned and not assumed as in my younger days.
Old 06-05-20, 09:03 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
As a runner, I have to disagree with minimalist shoes and foot strength being the total answer.
Yeah, going the minimalist route isn't for everyone, but I think the concept that a strong and flexible foot might be less prone to injury and pain is worth considering even if one doesn't opt for minimalist shoes.

As I get older and have more aches and pains, I'm finding that "quick fixes" (like orthotics) are sometimes just Band-AIDs that don't solve the actual problem. Solving the actual problem almost always takes more time and effort to resolve... so perhaps an orthotic for short-term pain relief but foot stretching and exercises for long-term relief.
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 06-25-20, 02:47 PM
Buzzkill53120

They say "Confession is good for the soul", here is my confession: I am an idiot!

So I went to my LBS and picked up another pair of the Bontrager inserts. I get home, go to replace the inserts; and lo and behold I had put the original inserts in the wrong (L/R) shoe! I pulled them out when I replaced the cleats the couple of weeks ago. Rode 50 miles today: no pain.

Thanks to everybody for their input. It was helpful in spite of my stupidity.
Likes For Buzzkill53120:
Old 06-25-20, 04:15 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
You need to be applauded for coming back and letting everyone know the solution. We have all done things that cause us to shake our heads.

John
Old 06-25-20, 09:02 PM
powermatt99

Bikes: Felt VR5, '85 Trek 520, '84 Trek 890

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Another WI response. Glad it worked out. Until I saw the resolution, I was going to recommend seeing a podiatrist. Hopefully, you won't need to go that route.