Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Catching the draft... how close is too close?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Catching the draft... how close is too close?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 09:50 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I wouldnt draft too close to a rider unless I *KNOW* they arent squirrels.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 07-13-20, 09:51 AM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
There is no safe distance for an uninvited draft in a Covid world.

Passed a guy last week with probably a 5mph differential. I suffer from pretty bad post nasal drip and needed to spit about 2 minutes after going by. He was right on my wheel and caught a bunch of it because I had no clue he was there until after it happened.
I have been going extra wide around people lately because of this. I've tried wearing a few different kinds of masks but after they get wet I've found it to be really uncomfortable. So now I just try to ride as early in the morning as possible and if I pass someone I give them a large berth.
Old 07-13-20, 09:53 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by upthywazzoo
I have been going extra wide around people lately because of this. I've tried wearing a few different kinds of masks but after they get wet I've found it to be really uncomfortable. So now I just try to ride as early in the morning as possible and if I pass someone I give them a large berth.
I gave him plenty of room when passing. I feel a little bad about accidentally spitting on him, but it was his fault- not mine
Old 07-13-20, 09:57 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
OP here. The Sheridan road "scene" at times is an ongoing open race. People are hopping from wheel to wheel. Large groups form at times. If its an organized club ride, everyone in club jerseys, I',ll just linger at the back. Pretty friendly people for the most part, and the vast majority up in years like me. Grey beards everywhere. If I get in with a group my goal is to smooth the paceline as best I can. Keep off the brakes, take smooth lines thru turns, even out the yo-yo effect as best I can. But at times I find myself trying to get max effect from drafting really tight, more out of habit I guess. Gotta get myself to back off and keep it safe.
Old 07-13-20, 10:11 AM
big chainring 

Passed a guy last week with probably a 5mph differential. I suffer from pretty bad post nasal drip and needed to spit about 2 minutes after going by. He was right on my wheel and caught a bunch of it because I had no clue he was there until after it happened.
I was in a race many moons ago. They used to combine Junior and Women catagory quite often. So I was on the wheel of one of cutest most accomplished women riders. She blew a snot rocket, landed on my leg. She apologized. But I considered it a sort of flirting. We actually rode a team race together years later. Mixed pairs Madison which I thought should be a regular event.
Old 07-13-20, 10:22 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,861 Times in 6,072 Posts

Here on the SF Peninsula, we're specifically forbidden to spit while riding/running during COVID. This weighs heavily on me, because I'm one of those riders whose snot glands go into overdrive when I ride. But I've been good! No spitting, no snot rockets. I suppose I've slightly decreased my rate of dehydration, so there's that.

Back on topic, right now, unless you've recovered from a COVID infection (and maybe even then), I would not get within a couple bike lengths of a stranger on the road, except to pass, and then at a significant distance. I definitely wouldn't draft anyone I wasn't living with.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-13-20, 10:43 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
During hour record attempts on 250 meter velodromes, we've measured the rider drafting themselves. That's cuz even a straw can stir a bathtub.
That's awesome.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 07-13-20, 10:44 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Not just him. I have no idea how anyone considers this acceptable behavior.
(shrug) Not that this happens to me very often (maybe 3-4 times in 25+ years), but I don't see why it's an issue. If we touch wheels, it's the guy in back going down, not me. Sure, its possible that something bad could happen, but it's pretty rare, it's not enough of a risk to cause me any worry. I've offered my wheel a couple of times to people who seemed to be in trouble, once the guy accepted and I got him home after about half an hour (it wasn't out of my way).

If you're not invited and don't announce, just don't expect me to point out hazards or take care to ride smoothly, and you have no gripe if something goes wrong and you go down. I will ride smoothly etc. once I notice you back there, because that's just caring for the safety of the other guy, but it shouldn't be expected.

I personally don't jump on passing wheels, I prefer solo rides. I'm too slow to keep up with most who are interested in drafting anyway.

(edit - this is in the pre-COVID world, even now, though, it's the guy in back getting exposed)
Old 07-13-20, 10:45 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
The full context is--OP wants to draft and reap the aero benefits, but is unsure of how close is too close.
Your comprehension is sorely lacking. Literally the entire OP, with the exception of the second to last sentence, is about safety and avoiding an accident.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-13-20, 10:46 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by big chainring
So I was on the wheel of one of cutest most accomplished women riders. She blew a snot rocket, landed on my leg. She apologized. But I considered it a sort of flirting.
This is the antithesis of awesome.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 07-13-20, 10:57 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,861 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
This is the antithesis of awesome.
Yeah, I don't think I'd interpret it as flirtation....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-13-20, 11:06 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
A few weeks ago a guy passed me going just a tiny bit faster than me. He must have forgotten I was there after a while because he blew a snot rocket when he was only 20-30 feet in front of me so I got the full spray of his blast. I caught up to him a bit later at a stop light and said "What, no apology?" He replied "F*** You!" I couldn't believe it. It's now the thing I worry the most about when I'm behind other riders whether passing or being passed.
Old 07-13-20, 11:38 AM
upthywazzoo 

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Your comprehension is sorely lacking. Literally the entire OP, with the exception of the second to last sentence, is about safety and avoiding an accident.
So before we go further, let's talk about bike etiquette and bike safety. I keep bringing Rubik up here but he was the most vocal about this in the last thread so I think his viewpoint is appropriate. A form of bike etiquette is asking before you draft someone. From Rubik, in response to something I said:
Originally Posted by Rubiksoval
At the end of the day, you're going to do whatever. My hope is that there is a clear understanding that while you may find such behavior acceptable, many others don't, and that, in general, despite your own personal anecdotes, this is not proper etiquette/behavior. One, for safety concerns for the person you're riding behind, two, for the need for them to now be concerned about your own safety (swerving away from potholes or debris last second, something very commonly done solo, is quite dangerous when not), and three, imposing yourself into their space/activity.
There are two steps to this whole thing. 1) Getting permission to draft, and 2) Drafting. In my first post in this thread, I said that if 1) was not fulfilled, then people would be upset, and rightfully so. My full quote, which you conveniently cut short said that drafting does not matter if you don't get permission. If you don't get permission, if you don't let the person in front know you're drafting--that is not only poor etiquette but unsafe. Now, assuming that OP has gotten permission to draft, SHOULD he draft? This is a different question that has gotten answers from everyone here, and where 2) comes into play. Bike safety includes things like predictable riding, riding in a straight line, signaling, etc etc. If the person in front is not a safe rider (and/or infected with COVID), then OP himself probably should not draft.

OP's last sentence makes it clear that to him, the aero benefits of a close draft are desirable, and that a half-wheel distance might even be too far for an optimum draft. He wants to be as close as possible without getting taken out. Am I really the one with poor reading comprehension? Come on.
Old 07-13-20, 11:57 AM
big chainring 

OP again. Now that I have thought it out...
I have always ridden close to the wheel I am following. And its been years of experience that has gotten me to this level. So with an abundance of confidence on the bike and experience to match I am going to continue with my current riding style. Changing now would be counterintuitive. But I'll be more aware of the other guys riding around me and make adjustments and judgements as to safety.
Old 07-13-20, 12:02 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Whats your safe draft distance? I like the weekend group ride. Typically I jump in to whoever passes me by on Saturday and Sunday mornings. On Chicagos north shore its pretty much a constant parade of cycling groups heading northbound on Sheridan road. I'm questioning the safety, especially now at 62 yrs young. A spill now would probably put me in the hospital. But my instincts are still honed by my racing days when racing around the track in a line of riders with a centimeter or two of gap between our wheels was normal. I still catch myself following really close to a wheel and think...hmmm, maybe too close. But there is quite a difference in draft effect between a half wheel distance and a couple inches. What say ye?
1-2ft, depending on who's in front. If it's a stranger, I don't do it.

I get insulted when someone I don't know starts drafting behind be & stays there for a while, especially in the current situation where I try to keep my distance with others as much as I can (yes, some cyclist continue doing it...).
Old 07-13-20, 12:13 PM
rubiksoval

I have always ridden close to the wheel I am following.
No kidding. Everyone that knows anything about cycling does.

The point multiple people are making is that you shouldn't be following people you don't know.

To do so ever is a pure clown move. To do so in the midst of a pandemic is pure ass-hattery.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 07-13-20, 12:13 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I gave him plenty of room when passing. I feel a little bad about accidentally spitting on him, but it was his fault- not mine
Sure it was an accident, but it was your fault for spitting on someone else, not their fault for being in the way of your spit. Next time take the milisecond to look over your shoulder.
Likes For kingston:
Old 07-13-20, 12:14 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Originally Posted by kingston
Sure it was an accident, but it was your fault for spitting on someone else, not their fault for being in the way of your spit. Next time take the milisecond to look over your shoulder.
whatever you say buck-o
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 07-13-20, 12:17 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
In your story, how long is “a while”? Because you can’t possibly believe people should be aware of you tailing then and modify their behavior accordingly and you’re not an ******* for doing it.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-13-20, 12:32 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

In your story, how long is “a while”? Because you can’t possibly believe people should be aware of you tailing then and modify their behavior accordingly and you’re not an ******* for doing it.
Couple of minutes. If I had to guess I would say three but it could have been five. it's irrelevant anyway. It's not like I was right on his wheel. I believe People should always look over their shoulder before spitting or launching a snot rocket. Especially on Sheridan road where there are hundreds of riders out on a weekend morning. That has nothing to do with modifying behavior because of me. It's just common courtesy.
Likes For kingston:
Old 07-13-20, 12:36 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Couple of minutes. If I had to guess I would say three but it could have been five. it's irrelevant anyway. It's not like I was right on his wheel. I believe People should always look over their shoulder before spitting or launching a snot rocket. Especially on Sheridan road where there are hundreds of riders out on a weekend morning. That has nothing to do with modifying behavior because of me. It's just common courtesy.
Simple solution is to not hang out in the snot zone. This is the same as not tailgating while driving. It’s on you, really.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-13-20, 12:42 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Simple solution is to not hang out in the snot zone. This is the same as not tailgating while driving. It’s on you, really.
Never riding within 30 feet of anyone else certainly is one solution, but it's not really practical on Sheridan Road. I went out for a 30 mile ride this morning and passed a few dozen riders. That's on a Monday morning at 5 AM. Apparently a quick head-check before launch is too much to ask from other civilized humans.
Old 07-13-20, 01:08 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Am I really the one with poor reading comprehension?
Yes.

People are responding to the context of the OP, not whatever spin you think you're putting on it.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-13-20, 01:37 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Well if this were a normally busy road with lots of cyclists I certainly would have been looking over my shoulder before spitting. But when it’s 6 in the morning on a back road, I don’t believe I have a duty to check 2-3 minutes later to see if the guy I passed decided to grab my wheel uninvited
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 07-13-20, 01:40 PM
upthywazzoo 

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yes.

People are responding to the context of the OP, not whatever spin you think you're putting on it.
Whats your safe draft distance? I like the weekend group ride. Typically I jump in to whoever passes me by on Saturday and Sunday mornings. On Chicagos north shore its pretty much a constant parade of cycling groups heading northbound on Sheridan road. I'm questioning the safety, especially now at 62 yrs young. A spill now would probably put me in the hospital. But my instincts are still honed by my racing days when racing around the track in a line of riders with a centimeter or two of gap between our wheels was normal. I still catch myself following really close to a wheel and think...hmmm, maybe too close. But there is quite a difference in draft effect between a half wheel distance and a couple inches. What say ye?
OP here. The Sheridan road "scene" at times is an ongoing open race. People are hopping from wheel to wheel. Large groups form at times. If its an organized club ride, everyone in club jerseys, I',ll just linger at the back. Pretty friendly people for the most part, and the vast majority up in years like me. Grey beards everywhere. If I get in with a group my goal is to smooth the paceline as best I can. Keep off the brakes, take smooth lines thru turns, even out the yo-yo effect as best I can. But at times I find myself trying to get max effect from drafting really tight, more out of habit I guess. Gotta get myself to back off and keep it safe.
I have always ridden close to the wheel I am following. And its been years of experience that has gotten me to this level. So with an abundance of confidence on the bike and experience to match I am going to continue with my current riding style. Changing now would be counterintuitive. But I'll be more aware of the other guys riding around me and make adjustments and judgements as to safety.
I'm growing increasingly convinced that you aren't merely trying to be obtuse, and in fact are. If the above cannot convince you of OP's mindset and the intent of his original question that you yourself quoted "what is a safe draft distance", then so be it--I'm not into hopeless cases.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.