Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Anyone familiar with the ridgeline flight 01?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 07-21-20, 03:20 PM
Synmag

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

EDIT: Sorry the name is Ridgeback not ridgeline. I can't seem to edit the subjetc.

I'm looking to pick up a used bike and there is an interesting one which I have never heard of mostly because it was imported from the UK (to Canada). FYI my last bike was a Cannondale Quick 4 and I actually found one available (not mine) for CAD$550.

Can anyone provide any feedback on this brand or specific model? The seller has heavily modified it and I'm a bit concerned with reliability. I haven't gone through all the upgrades to try to value it but it seems a lot of attention has been paid to reducing weight.

It's a 2013 and my search shows that it was available fro 599 British pounds which works out to about CAD$1000 today.

Here are the specs:

Crankset Shimano Sora 50/34
Shimano slx disc brakes with ice-tech rotors
Sram x0 carbon shifters 9 speed
Shimano lx front derailleur
Sram x9 rear derailleur 9 speed
Truvativ noir t30 carbon handlebar
Deda 100 seatpost aluminum
Prologo evo saddle
Front wheel halo aerotrack laced on hope pro evo2 with sapim spokes
Rear wheel halo caliber 38mm laced on hope pro 2 evo with sapim spokes
Kinesis alloy mudguards
Specialized sworks alloy stem (not the one pictured)
Size 60

Asking is CAD$1300 but can get it for a few hundred off. Can someone familiar with all these components tell me if it's a fair price?

Last edited by Synmag; 07-21-20 at 03:30 PM. Reason: corrected bike name
Old 07-22-20, 10:28 AM
Synmag

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Lots of views no takers? I guess me messing up the name in the subject steered people clear? Anyway, I started researching and it looks like those wheels cost 100 pounds today each. They seem to be for track not road use. Hmm...
Old 07-22-20, 11:36 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Bicycle valuations are difficult on a good day...add a bike that's been home built/upgraded...and the current COVID environment...and it's probably very difficult to estimate whether that bike is a good buy.

Those are nice components and the bike is probably at least a 800-1000 USD bike in my area (1100-1350 CAD), provided it's in very nice condition. If you live in an area where the market is hot, and you can get the bike on the low end of that, then maybe it's a good deal. Prices are usually higher in more populated areas where demand is higher. If you're out in the sticks, where demand for "nice" bikes is generally not as high, maybe you can get it for an even better price.
Old 07-23-20, 09:49 AM
Synmag

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for your feedback. I will go look at it tonight. I spent the time to research the components and the only weak link seems to be the front derailleur which some (a lot actually) users report does not shift properly to the lowest gear. It could be a maintenance issue though as even on my old bike lately I had the same problem.

My only concern is if it's too much of a high end bike for me i.e. if things need to be maintained/replaced the cost will be high. I need to look into how the brake shims wear but I don't think that's a big cost if they need replacing.

The other thing I'm curious about is if it's going to be big enough for me. He says it's a 60 i.e. 60cm frame which according to some sites is the largest frame but when I measure it from the ground it seems a bit low. However when I look up the bike the 60cm version is the largest size. hmm. According to sizing charts I actually need an XXL with my 6'4'' height. My last bike was XL as I found it more agile turning than the XXL. I also have a longer upper body but not sure how that affects sizing i.e. I would need larger or the XL is sufficient.
Old 07-25-20, 06:32 PM
Synmag

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I ended up not going to look at it. It was lower than $1,100 but it's still too much bike for me and I'd rather have a carbon fork. I have been looking at bikes on kijiji/craigslist and I'm not seeing any Cannondales. That just reaffirms to me that I made a good choice and will try to wait for one. My other option is to just pick up a cheap bike for less than $200 and wait till this whole covid craze on bikes blows over and buy when shops have stock and all the people who realize biking wasn't for them after all start selling.

BTW any Canadians who can recommend a good local bike forum with a classifieds section? I might have better luck there vs K/C.