Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 04-04-20, 09:07 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Anxiety or seasonal with lengthening day? The roads are so empty, I’m going to wait for some warmth.
Probably 80% anxiety and 20% day lengthening. My natural wake-up time ordinarily is about 45 minutes before daybreak. Lately I have been awakening even earlier.

Good news is I went out at daybreak and finished my 3 1/2 hour ride while the family was still in sleep/morning mode.

I have a noon teleconference with my office partners. We are likely going to talk about shutting the office completely and having everyone work from home with a skeleton crew of 2-3 nurses and one non-clinical worker, plus the 5 docs. Sad. We are hemorrhaging $$$ and even with the furloughs and telemedicine it's looking grim.
Old 04-04-20, 09:13 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Probably 80% anxiety and 20% day lengthening. My natural wake-up time ordinarily is about 45 minutes before daybreak. Lately I have been awakening even earlier.

Good news is I went out at daybreak and finished my 3 1/2 hour ride while the family was still in sleep/morning mode.

I have a noon teleconference with my office partners. We are likely going to talk about shutting the office completely and having everyone work from home with a skeleton crew of 2-3 nurses and one non-clinical worker, plus the 5 docs. Sad. We are hemorrhaging $$$ and even with the furloughs and telemedicine it's looking grim.
When you say "sad" without an exclamation point... fingers crossed buddy.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 04-04-20, 09:19 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10143 Post(s)
Liked 5,833 Times in 3,141 Posts

Yeah, sorry to hear. It's going to be tough.

My wife has been struggling the whole time to save her practice, including hours on the phone with the bank yesterday about getting one of the small business loans in the CARES Act. Predictably, the process is complicated, fraught with gotchas, and being gamed by the financial industry and she's not a businesswoman. She just seems to be the most savvy of all her partners, so she manages the financial side. They'll most likely survive and get their associates and employees through, but it's going to hurt.
Old 04-04-20, 09:23 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
When you say "sad" without an exclamation point... fingers crossed buddy.
Ditto.
Old 04-04-20, 09:25 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13689 Post(s)
Liked 4,513 Times in 2,498 Posts

Old 04-04-20, 09:28 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12735 Post(s)
Liked 7,635 Times in 4,050 Posts

Yikes!
Old 04-04-20, 09:34 AM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
All the best.
Old 04-04-20, 09:36 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts

My wife has been struggling the whole time to save her practice, including hours on the phone with the bank yesterday about getting one of the small business loans in the CARES Act. Predictably, the process is complicated, fraught with gotchas, and being gamed by the financial industry and she's not a businesswoman. She just seems to be the most savvy of all her partners, so she manages the financial side. They'll most likely survive and get their associates and employees through, but it's going to hurt.
Old 04-04-20, 09:45 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
My daughter's preschool is officially done until the fall, at the earliest, and it seems as if the Director feels the need to continue to provide entertainment/education/distractions for the kids. I don't think that the Director has worked in a business environment, as she's CCed all of the parents instead of BCCing them.

Predictably, many of the parents are just as clueless and have been replying to all.

OMFG. I've gotten about 10 emails in the last 5 minutes, all from parents having trouble logging in to a live stream performance from a guy that occasionally stops by the classroom to sing kids songs.
Old 04-04-20, 09:48 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28567 Post(s)
Liked 1,847 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Pretty cool. Do I need a pretty handkerchief like that one for it to work?
Check your collection.
Old 04-04-20, 09:52 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by whyfi
omfg. I've gotten about 10 emails in the last 5 minutes, all from parents having trouble logging in to a live stream performance from a guy that occasionally stops by the classroom to sing kids songs.
lol
Old 04-04-20, 09:53 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Thanks for the well wishes. My family and I will be ok. Even if I spend the rest of 2020 without a paycheck (which is possible), we will manage as we have savings. Some of my fellow physicians, I fear, live paycheck to paycheck and if savers are over-leveraged in the stock market. They are ****ed. Royally.
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-04-20, 09:58 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Conference call at noon to discuss plans. There are 4 shareholders in my office plus the organization's Director of Operations.

I had suggested just a group text. I was vetoed, they said it's "too complicated" for a group text.

I think they are all just too old, but wtf do I know. I hate meetings and wish to minimize the waste of time. I only run one meeting, that's the hospital's IRB. We had a super-short 10 minute teleconference meeting last week. That's how meetings should be, minimize the wind-bags and keep it focused.
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-04-20, 09:59 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11386 Post(s)
Liked 4,710 Times in 2,746 Posts
Seems so, pretty cool, right?
I agree, and unusual to two see tires with two colors, much less matching a bike with the same two colors.
Old 04-04-20, 10:02 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Thanks for the well wishes. My family and I will be ok. Even if I spend the rest of 2020 without a paycheck (which is possible), we will manage as we have savings. Some of my fellow physicians, I fear, live paycheck to paycheck and if savers are over-leveraged in the stock market. They are ****ed. Royally.
Sticking with the mighty Saturn all these years is paying off now.
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 04-04-20, 10:05 AM
LAJ
So it is

This sucks. Thinking as positive as possible.
Old 04-04-20, 10:09 AM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by WhyFi
My daughter's preschool is officially done until the fall, at the earliest, and it seems as if the Director feels the need to continue to provide entertainment/education/distractions for the kids. I don't think that the Director has worked in a business environment, as she's CCed all of the parents instead of BCCing them.

Predictably, many of the parents are just as clueless and have been replying to all.

OMFG. I've gotten about 10 emails in the last 5 minutes, all from parents having trouble logging in to a live stream performance from a guy that occasionally stops by the classroom to sing kids songs.
Speaking of reply to all, we received one of those from a gal fortunate enough to be able to work at home from the onset. She was wondering who was going to pay for all of her cleaning and disinfecting supplies she was using while at home. I wanted to reach through the monitor, and drag her ass straight to reality.
Old 04-04-20, 10:21 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Pretty cool. Do I need a pretty handkerchief like that one for it to work?
My wife tried one of those this morning, but there was something not quite right and it kept popping off.

Besides - I hear that dry cleaning bags work much better at keeping the viruses out.
Likes For ericy:
Old 04-04-20, 10:23 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,593 Times in 1,236 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Holy poop! I was fretting over going from 70° yesterday to a high of 52° and intermittent drizzle but after seeing your temps, I feel way better.
Yeah, that's rough.

We're about 10° cooler than you it looks like. It's not quite warming up like what was forecast though

I was thinking about trying to break 50 miles for the first time this year but I think that may need to wait for tomorrow.
Old 04-04-20, 10:25 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,593 Times in 1,236 Posts

Old 04-04-20, 10:27 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by LAJ
Speaking of reply to all, we received one of those from a gal fortunate enough to be able to work at home from the onset. She was wondering who was going to pay for all of her cleaning and disinfecting supplies she was using while at home. I wanted to reach through the monitor, and drag her ass straight to reality.
They might be deductible work expenses. LOL
Old 04-04-20, 10:30 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13689 Post(s)
Liked 4,513 Times in 2,498 Posts
Originally Posted by ericy
My wife tried one of those this morning, but there was something not quite right and it kept popping off.

Besides - I hear that dry cleaning bags work much better at keeping the viruses out.
Old 04-04-20, 10:33 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Sticking with the mighty Saturn all these years is paying off now.
Cronus Invictus
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 04-04-20, 10:48 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10952 Post(s)
Liked 4,608 Times in 2,114 Posts
Dang!

You can move to Illinois and be my doctor. I’d love to have a cycling doctor.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 04-04-20, 10:51 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10952 Post(s)
Liked 4,608 Times in 2,114 Posts

Dang! More rough news.

My older brother and I were talking about this a few days ago. It’s a good time to be retired with so many people around us struggling with their future.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.