Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Only 4 bikes in my area to pick

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 06-10-20, 06:08 PM
Ride@123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry I posted this in general but I should have posted here....

I ride a very old huffy with my kids but need an upgrade because now they are old enough to go on trails. With this pandemic it has depleted inventory. I am 5’7” Woman and am comfortable riding a bike. Just looking to go on paved or gravel paths with the family. Looking to be comfortable since I won’t be going at high speeds. I am worried about picking the right tire... there is a big difference in the width. Not sure what to go with. I assume I was looking for a hybrid style with and upright position. Here are my ONLY options in the stores around me.
(trek is all sold out)

- KHS Westwood (mens style) tires
*tires 700/38c
- Liv/Giant Sedona DX (Woman style)
*tires 26 x 2.3
- Fuji Crosstown 2.1 (woman style)
* tires 700/38c
- KHS town and country 150 (mens style)
* tires 26/2.0

any thought on these models. I have only been on the Westwood so far. It was so easy to rise com paired to my huffy. Ha ha ha. But anything would be an upgrade.

thank you soo much!!!
Old 06-11-20, 03:16 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Any of those bikes will be fine. They are all similar in build and quality. IF you are going to ride in an area with bad road or you are going to ride offroad you may want the fat tires. The bikes with skinny tires will be a little bit easier to pedal.
Old 06-11-20, 06:15 AM
Ride@123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Any of those bikes will be fine. They are all similar in build and quality. IF you are going to ride in an area with bad road or you are going to ride offroad you may want the fat tires. The bikes with skinny tires will be a little bit easier to pedal.
I don’t think I will ride much on bad quality roads since I will be with my younger kids. Not all trails may be paved but they could have gravel. We won’t be riding off the path.

I have never really shopped for a bike. When I ride them they all seem nice to me which is making it hard to decide. I know it’s a personal preference but I can’t decided. Lol.

Let’s say we stick to paved roads 90% of the time. Is it silly to buy the wider tire?
Old 06-11-20, 06:53 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
I started riding three years ago. My first bike had 2.1-inch (54mm) tires. Last year I bought a second bike and picked 38mm tires. The improvement was immense with the narrower tires. I'm so pleased with the new ones, Michelin Protek Cross, $25 each from REI.
Old 06-11-20, 03:21 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride@123
I don’t think I will ride much on bad quality roads since I will be with my younger kids. Not all trails may be paved but they could have gravel. We won’t be riding off the path.

I have never really shopped for a bike. When I ride them they all seem nice to me which is making it hard to decide. I know it’s a personal preference but I can’t decided. Lol.

Let’s say we stick to paved roads 90% of the time. Is it silly to buy the wider tire?
There will be no quality difference in those bikes. The bikes with narrower tires will pedal more easily. The ones with fat tires will soak up bumps a bit better. Go for the one you think looks coolest or go for the shop that was the friendliest. Just get one and ride!