Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ Nutrition: What do you bring on longer rides?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-01-20, 07:05 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts

Hello everyone!

Went on a 60 mile ride this weekend and thought I had brought enough calories with me, but nearly bonked. I had about 500 calories with me 2 gels, 1 bar & sports drink - that was not enough. So, Im wondering what do us mature rides bring for food on longer rides?
Old 07-01-20, 07:38 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Normal guideline is 250-300 calories an hour for rides over 2-3 hours. Everyone's different so you'll have to figure out what works for you.
Likes For kingston:
Old 07-01-20, 08:01 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
I might have a GU for that ride but nothing other than that.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 07-01-20, 08:11 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
I generally carry a Larabar or Kind bar, and also some trail mix from walmart. Shorting yourself on food or water isn't a good idea. Bring more than you think you will need. If you're gaining weight, you need to add more miles.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 07-01-20, 08:42 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Time and intensity are better metrics than miles. 60 easy miles a bar or maybe 2 would be plenty. 60 miles with 6000 feet of climbing and stiff headwinds would take a little more, maybe bring a sandwich.
25 brutal miles on the mountain bike last week and I had a banana and 2 bars and it wasn't enough.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-01-20, 08:45 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
That length ride would probably see me stuffing a gel in one pocket and a pack of SportBeans in the other. I usually only eat the Beans, and not even the whole pack on my 60+ milers. I save the gels because they're just hard to eat without stopping, and I usually don't stop pedaling til I'm back home.
Old 07-01-20, 08:53 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Should have been enough, but number of calories required depends on long term training load. As you can see, miles isn't how one measures it, it's hours. AFAIK, age doesn't matter, only training and body weight.

Edit: I should note that on these threads, there's always someone who eats less than you do, no matter who you are. I mean all these folks eat too much, way too much. Heck Lance used to go out for 6 hour rides with only water in his bottles.

I usually take 250 calories/hour with me, just in case, but often only go through half of that. I know almost exactly how long a particular ride will take me, and pack accordingly.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 07-01-20 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-02-20, 02:07 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
Make sure you're fuelled up BEFORE you leave, eat a good breakfast etc then ride. Every ride I take a bar of some kind but rarely need it. For rides of 50 miles or so, maybe eat a flapjack mid way but rarely much more.

As for Lance, well maybe he rode for 6 hours with only water in his bottles but then again he had extra, ahem, "nutrition" in his bloodstream...
Old 07-02-20, 06:00 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
https://guenergy.com/ will provide another hour of energy and calories when Im getting depleted
Old 07-02-20, 08:42 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Are you sure your blood sugar was running low, and not that you were behind on fluids? Three or four hours (I'm guessing, obviously) is longer than I can ride in the summer with just the fluids I carry on the bike. You might need to drink more, or add some salt. If there's a convenient store with V-8, that fills the bill, though you'll also want more water to wash it down.
Old 07-02-20, 10:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Generally...... if you bonk, you just rode too hard a pace for the distance you were going. Were you trying to keep up with others? 60 mile ride for me will be four 24 oz bottles maybe five, with about 150 Calories of carb mix in each. Six if really hot.

When I'm just riding for myself or with a couple others, that is usually all I take. Maybe a small box of raisins or a granola bar. If this was an organized ride, I'd have some oranges or bananas at some of the stops. Maybe try some of the unique things that the rest stops like to offer. Seems like they get in competition with the other rest stops on the routes and really come up with some interesting things. Though this year looks like that may not happen. Even the ride for May postponed till October is iffy.
Old 07-02-20, 10:05 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
For 60 miles (3000’ of climbing ) and starting with a full stomach I only need a couple bottles of a sports drink. For 100 milers I usually take fig newtons, lance peanut butter crackers and maybe a banana and stop at a store for a Coke. Lately I’ve been stopping at 60-70 miles at a Subway or a local bbq joint for a meal. I’ve learned that I can eat a decent meal out riding, but afterwards I keep the effort pretty moderate. It’d get really ugly if I attempted to do a race pace after eating a meal.

You can “train” your body to not feel like you need too much to eat. But it also depends.......such as on multi day rides I eat a whole lot more and a lot more often. If I feel like I’m running out of energy it’s critical that I drink a Coke sooner than later.
Old 07-02-20, 11:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I would stop and have lunch in a cafe..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-02-20, 11:53 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Are you sure your blood sugar was running low, and not that you were behind on fluids? Three or four hours (I'm guessing, obviously) is longer than I can ride in the summer with just the fluids I carry on the bike. You might need to drink more, or add some salt. If there's a convenient store with V-8, that fills the bill, though you'll also want more water to wash it down.
HR helps with that "which" question. HR goes down, it's fuel. HR goes up, it's hydration.
Old 07-02-20, 12:14 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
For 60 miles, I would've brought one Clif bar, 2 E-Gel packs, and a couple of powdered Kroger energy drinks.

I always have a bag of Skittles with me for a safety net.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 07-02-20, 04:41 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Your body can only process about 1 gram of carbs per minute at most, so I generally target around 45-60 g of carbs per hour. This is about 270-360 calories per hour. I also fuel up with a waffle or pancakes and a couple eggs two hours before I start a long ride and start eating on the bike starting around hour #2 .

For example, on a six hour ride I would start off carrying around 300g of bars, cookies, and dried fruit. It’s best to kind of continually eat during the ride so that you’re constantly adding fuel to the fire. Once you fall behind and feel hungry it’s hard to catch up.
Old 07-03-20, 03:27 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
Years of running and cycling I have trained myself that I basically need no nutrition for 60 miles as long as I eat well the night before and replenished the glycogen stores in muscles. I can get by with one bottle of water 27 oz. not an issue unless in the midday heat I normally ride very early mornings. For a century or even if I was trying to race a metric century I need fuel for performance. For a century I go with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and fig newtons. Another good once simply keebler butter crackers I love them and they have salt so that I keep drinking. Maybe about 500-700 calories pushing a century.

However when I am done look out................beer, ice cream and anything that is not nailed down.
Old 07-03-20, 04:04 PM
big john

One cold day we went climbing on some remote mountain roads and some brought Camelbaks to carry extra food and water. Up around 7000 feet one guy whips out some big slices of leftover pizza. Man, it looked good. Sometimes I would bring one of those big banana-nut muffins. They're about 500 calories and my stomach likes them.
In 1990 I did loaded touring and I ate about 6000 calories per day and still lost weight. This was while doing 80-100 miles per day.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-03-20, 10:26 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
An hour or so before a ride, usually oatmeal with banana and yogurt, sometimes a cheese omelet. Coffee.

During a ride I try to consume 200-500 calories per hour, depending on my effort. Usually the equivalent to one ordinary gel or energy bar per hour on harder workout rides, less for easier effort rides. I've done a lot of intermittent fasting, fasting rides, etc., the past couple of years, and seem to be able to use body fat more efficiently now. I've dropped 15 lbs since 2018 too.

Clif bars and gels. I usually stick with what works for me, doesn't cause digestive problems. Usually Clif chocolate mint bars with caffeine, and mocha gels with caffeine. I just got some Clif espresso gels with double the caffeine, so we'll see how that goes.

Water with electrolytes and a bit of creatine mix. DripDrop is the best I've found, but I'll use the cheaper Propel powders too.

After a ride, and sometimes before, I'll sip from a quart container of a homebrewed energy drink -- usually whey protein powder, amino acids, extra niacin powder, coffee, a little kratom (I have chronic pain and it helps without significant side effects -- pretty much like coffee and an aspirin).

I've tried other snacks and drinks but these agree with me best so I don't vary much.

Occasionally on a longer ride -- 50-100 miles -- I'll stop at a convenience store to top up. I'll get whatever sports drinks they have that's cheapest. And often a Monster mocha java. Pricey but tasty, very comparable to my homebrewed energy drinks. Occasionally I'll get a chocolate donut but sometimes those give me a bit of indigestion. Same with most other protein/energy bars including Larabar, or anything with sugar alcohol -- those make me gassy. Clif uses sugar, which is neutral to my digestive system.

I suppose it gets a little boring but I'll reward myself later with a pizza, tacos, burger or something interesting after I finish the ride.

Last edited by canklecat; 07-05-20 at 07:07 AM.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-05-20, 06:48 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
An hour or so before a ride, usually oatmeal with banana and yogurt, sometimes a cheese omelet. Coffee......................................

.................Clif bars and gels. I usually stick with what works for me, doesn't cause digestive problems. Usually Clif chocolate mint bars with caffeine, and mocha gels with caffeine. I just got some Clif espresso gels with double the caffeine, so we'll see how that goes..........................

.................Occasionally on a longer ride -- 50-100 miles -- I'll stop at a convenience store to top up.......................
To quote the unique Athlete Dr. George Sheehan ---

​“We are each an experiment of one.
A unique, never-to-be repeated event.”

CC's approach suits him well but if I were to follow his routine I would not be riding my rides because my body can't function with those metrics in place. Last night I began a ride on my 2018 Roubaix Expert shortly before the Moonrise having eaten 4 hours earlier. To eat one hour before heading out would leave my legs dead to the crank. Gels are a mainstay, CrankSports e-Gel and the 100mg caffeine CLIF Shot Double Espresso or Chocolate Cherry. Yesterday I also had a peeled Manderin and a Madjool Date with M&M's inside. One bottle half frozen with water then ice and water added and the second half frozen with water and Heineken 0.0 added before leaving. Total ride was 101 miles ans completed with only one touch, a brief stop to check Google map at mile 70 (my age on Friday) then I did the 12 mile TT for the Cruzbike 2020 12 mile TT Challenge.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 07-07-20 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-05-20, 07:37 AM
WarrenR

Bikes: 2005 Peugeot Evasion 2019 Trek Verve

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
It's not just about distance, how long were you out there?

PB&J FTW!
Old 07-05-20, 02:28 PM
sshakari

My moving time was around 4 1/2 hours with 56 miles and 3250 ft elevations. I was suffering in the last 5 miles and had to stop and rest a few times.
On a next long ride, I will bring more carb-based calories and more water.

here is the starva https://www.strava.com/activities/3685920599
Old 07-05-20, 03:50 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Maybe just don't go so hard. At least not till you get to doing them often enough that you don't feel so drained near the end. Unless you are trying to keep up with others, just go a little easier on the climbs.

Do a 50 miler once or twice every week and it gets much easier.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-06-20, 07:53 PM
sshakari

Appreciate all the replies with great tips for the future. I did figure out what my issue was! I skipped breakfast and was running on empty.
Old 07-06-20, 08:35 PM
big john

Originally Posted by sshakari
My moving time was around 4 1/2 hours with 56 miles and 3250 ft elevations. I was suffering in the last 5 miles and had to stop and rest a few times.
On a next long ride, I will bring more carb-based calories and more water.

here is the starva https://www.strava.com/activities/3685920599
Good ride!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.