Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 08-04-20, 08:25 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
When I was repping Kenda was our main rubber line and we sold a lot. Bread-and-butter repair stuff for shops. When I got my first Sports I picked up some Kenda gumwalls for it and one of them was bad, a squiggle in the carcass. The replacement was fine but I recall taking back the occasional tire for a warranty claim during those years. Luck of the draw.
Old 08-05-20, 12:37 PM
threespeedmafia
2 wheeled enthusiast

Bikes: More than a few but less than a gross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Kenda Gumwalls

Kenda Gumwalls
Likes For threespeedmafia:
Old 08-06-20, 03:44 AM
barnfind

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I'm not sure if you are a builder or a parter-outer, but I'm looking for a set of Raleigh headset cups (top and bottom), a threaded top race, and a crown race for the crazy Raleighs that had 26 thread per inch fork threading. If there's an otherwise trashed bike with a fork that turns decently, I'd be interested in the headset parts.
There's a huge cardboard barrel from the one lot marked "British Headsets", its filled to the top with headsets from what I'm guessing are all English bikes. I've not sorted through it or dug into it to see if its all headsets or what all is in that barrel. Its sitting in one of the storage trailers right now sort of buried behind about 80 bikes and a ton of bare frames. I'm not looking to part out any complete bikes, and I think a good many of these need to be put back together, but there 's no doubt more small parts than there are wheelsets or even complete frame sets.

What I'm finding is that some bikes have 'mixed up' parts. Black bikes with brown forks, brown bikes with black forks, green bikes with brown forks, etc. The same with chain guards, its as if someone swapped parts around for fun.

A few of the bikes that came from the one lot which were tagged with a list of what was done to them, turned out to have some sort of super heavy industrial grease that he used to pack all the bearings. The stuff was like brown tar. I can't say if he just used super heavy grease of it it solidified over time like that.
A few were greased with a heavy red colored grease as well that has the consistency of bubble gum. Luckily there weren't that many bikes from that place, just parts and stripped down frames.

The oddest thing we found at that house was that the guy was burying his old bike tires half way all around the yard forming sort of a garden border of rotten bike tires. Those in the front yard were painted in various odd colors, pink, blue, orange, red, white, etc. The family had a crew there digging them up. It was bad, but not as bad as one guy who had a plastic wash tub in the basement, and a bucket with a sump pump below it where he was washing his parts off in paint thinner, the pump had a hose that led to a long drain pipe that ran along the back of the house in the flower bed and tomato garden. He was pumping out what he washed down in the sink with paint thinner out in his back yard garden.
One basement we cleaned out that was full of bicycle parts, motorcycle parts and hundreds of stacks of old newspapers. The guy had 5 gallon buckets of drain oil all over the place in the basement, in each bucket was several tightly rolled up 'logs' made by rolling up newspapers real tight till they were about 6" in diameter, he then wired the roll together, and soaked them in the buckets. His widow said he used them in the fireplace for free heat and in the wood stoves in the basement and garage. The walls around the fireplace was soot covered, there was a black path from the fire place to the basement stairs soaked with greasy foot prints.
I didn't get a lot out of that place worth keeping but I'm sure they likely needed to call a hazmat crew to clean that mess up. Another place had a second 'kitchen' in the basement, it looked like someone at one point was canning food down there. But what we found was a stainless steel sink and counter top covered in grease. One sink was full of old stale gasoline, and had a tin lid from a restaurant buffet table. The drain was connected to the septic system or sewer. In another corner he had an old shower enclosure set up, and around it were dozens of empty 5 gallon buckets of aircraft paint stripper. There was dried stripper and paint all over the floor and shower enclosure. He also had a gas powered compressor under the work bench with a galvanize pipe leading out through the wall from the exhaust.
His wife said the neighbors hated him because he would run that compressor at all hours of the night while working on his bikes down in the basement.

If this rain ever stops this week maybe I'll get a chance to do some more digging through those barrels. But my immediate task is to empty at least one of my smaller enclosed trailers here by next week for a clean out I have coming up that's got a lot of small fragile items.
Old 08-06-20, 06:01 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by barnfind
There's a huge cardboard barrel from the one lot marked "British Headsets", its filled to the top with headsets from what I'm guessing are all English bikes. I've not sorted through it or dug into it to see if its all headsets or what all is in that barrel. Its sitting in one of the storage trailers right now sort of buried behind about 80 bikes and a ton of bare frames. I'm not looking to part out any complete bikes, and I think a good many of these need to be put back together, but there 's no doubt more small parts than there are wheelsets or even complete frame sets.

What I'm finding is that some bikes have 'mixed up' parts. Black bikes with brown forks, brown bikes with black forks, green bikes with brown forks, etc. The same with chain guards, its as if someone swapped parts around for fun.

A few of the bikes that came from the one lot which were tagged with a list of what was done to them, turned out to have some sort of super heavy industrial grease that he used to pack all the bearings. The stuff was like brown tar. I can't say if he just used super heavy grease of it it solidified over time like that.
A few were greased with a heavy red colored grease as well that has the consistency of bubble gum. Luckily there weren't that many bikes from that place, just parts and stripped down frames.

The oddest thing we found at that house was that the guy was burying his old bike tires half way all around the yard forming sort of a garden border of rotten bike tires. Those in the front yard were painted in various odd colors, pink, blue, orange, red, white, etc. The family had a crew there digging them up. It was bad, but not as bad as one guy who had a plastic wash tub in the basement, and a bucket with a sump pump below it where he was washing his parts off in paint thinner, the pump had a hose that led to a long drain pipe that ran along the back of the house in the flower bed and tomato garden. He was pumping out what he washed down in the sink with paint thinner out in his back yard garden.
One basement we cleaned out that was full of bicycle parts, motorcycle parts and hundreds of stacks of old newspapers. The guy had 5 gallon buckets of drain oil all over the place in the basement, in each bucket was several tightly rolled up 'logs' made by rolling up newspapers real tight till they were about 6" in diameter, he then wired the roll together, and soaked them in the buckets. His widow said he used them in the fireplace for free heat and in the wood stoves in the basement and garage. The walls around the fireplace was soot covered, there was a black path from the fire place to the basement stairs soaked with greasy foot prints.
I didn't get a lot out of that place worth keeping but I'm sure they likely needed to call a hazmat crew to clean that mess up. Another place had a second 'kitchen' in the basement, it looked like someone at one point was canning food down there. But what we found was a stainless steel sink and counter top covered in grease. One sink was full of old stale gasoline, and had a tin lid from a restaurant buffet table. The drain was connected to the septic system or sewer. In another corner he had an old shower enclosure set up, and around it were dozens of empty 5 gallon buckets of aircraft paint stripper. There was dried stripper and paint all over the floor and shower enclosure. He also had a gas powered compressor under the work bench with a galvanize pipe leading out through the wall from the exhaust.
His wife said the neighbors hated him because he would run that compressor at all hours of the night while working on his bikes down in the basement.

If this rain ever stops this week maybe I'll get a chance to do some more digging through those barrels. But my immediate task is to empty at least one of my smaller enclosed trailers here by next week for a clean out I have coming up that's got a lot of small fragile items.
This sounds like an episode of "Hoarders"...
I hope you documented all of this.
We had an older man down the street whose house was filled with pigeons and
he would scream at us when we walked by.
After he moved out I went in to have a look.
There was a 6 foot square hole in the roof and the water and snow had been pouring in for years.
The water had worn a hole away in the floor underneath and another smaller hole on the ground floor.
His water had been shut off as well and he was using the basement floor as an outhouse.....
He used to ride his bike around the neighbourhood.....
Old 08-06-20, 08:50 AM
barnfind

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
This sounds like an episode of "Hoarders"...
I hope you documented all of this.
We had an older man down the street whose house was filled with pigeons and
he would scream at us when we walked by.
After he moved out I went in to have a look.
There was a 6 foot square hole in the roof and the water and snow had been pouring in for years.
The water had worn a hole away in the floor underneath and another smaller hole on the ground floor.
His water had been shut off as well and he was using the basement floor as an outhouse.....
He used to ride his bike around the neighbourhood.....

A few places over the years have come close but unlike 'hoarders' they were focused one something.
Only one included animals, but unfortunately it was snakes, not pigeons.
The husband had run a bike shop, the wife ran a pet store. Both retired and
brought their businesses.
I suppose most though were more like runaway collectors than just hoarders.
After the past 20 years or so, nothing surprises me anymore.
A few were shops that were just boarded up and forgotten for years.
Every time I walk into that same type of situation I can't help but wonder what made someone just board up a place and forget it was there for half a lifetime.
Old 08-07-20, 06:37 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Work in Progress
Another Bitsa Scorcher put together with
assorted parts that were kicking around.

This was going to be 6 speed conversion with the
vintage Cyclo deraileur but on closer examination
the Cyclo is badly bent and needs to be straightened.

The bike is fitted with a standard 26 x 1 3/8 rim on the back with 2 cogs/
A 17T and a 21T

Up front is a $10.00 EA1 rim that cleaned up nicely and fitted with a Kenda K23 tire.
I still need a rear brake and lever but that's not hard to find.

Last edited by gster; 08-07-20 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-07-20, 12:32 PM
threespeedmafia
2 wheeled enthusiast

Bikes: More than a few but less than a gross

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Any love for old Hercules 3 speeds?

Center of head badge is gone as is often the case of these badges.

Decals show pretty good.

When you got to get your lean on.
Likes For threespeedmafia:
Old 08-07-20, 05:23 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by threespeedmafia

Any love for old Hercules 3 speeds?

Center of head badge is gone as is often the case of these badges.

Decals show pretty good.
Very similar to my wifes Herc.

Likes For clubman:
Old 08-07-20, 05:49 PM
W.L.SOON 

Bikes: 1950s' GAZELLE 28"WHEEL GENTS ROADSTER (RALEIGH-MADE)

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Very similar to my wifes Herc.

Hi. Just using coaster brake? Is that a norm for that model or have the caliper/rod brakes been removed?
Is it a 26" or 28" wheeler?
Thanks and Cheers. 😁👍

Last edited by W.L.SOON; 08-07-20 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-07-20, 06:00 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Originally Posted by W.L.SOON
Hi. Just using coaster brake? Is that a norm for that model or have the caliper brakes been removed?
Cheers. 😁👍
It had a barely functioning Perry single speed hub (wartime?) so I swapped in a 60's F&S Duomatic with a 22 tooth cog and it's perfect for flat landing. Canadian 28" wheels which are equal to 700c.
Sachs coaster brakes are generally flawless and dependable or I wouldn't let the most important person in the world ride it. Yes the chain could break but it's a newish Renolds Coventry with master link and I assure you, Elizabeth rides slow and steady. At some point you've got to let someone take responsibility.
BTW, this is the same woman who decided that when we got pregnant with our first child, we'd need a vintage motorcycle. When the second child was conceived, we got another. Vintage motorcycle that is. Then vintage cars, houses, etc.
Old 08-07-20, 09:59 PM
W.L.SOON 

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Ahh,a very special someone indeed! 😁👍
Likes For W.L.SOON:
Old 08-08-20, 08:10 AM
gster

It had a barely functioning Perry single speed hub (wartime?) so I swapped in a 60's F&S Duomatic with a 22 tooth cog and it's perfect for flat landing. Canadian 28" wheels which are equal to 700c.
Sachs coaster brakes are generally flawless and dependable or I wouldn't let the most important person in the world ride it. Yes the chain could break but it's a newish Renolds Coventry with master link and I assure you, Elizabeth rides slow and steady. At some point you've got to let someone take responsibility.
BTW, this is the same woman who decided that when we got pregnant with our first child, we'd need a vintage motorcycle. When the second child was conceived, we got another. Vintage motorcycle that is. Then vintage cars, houses, etc.
I also have a Raleigh fitted with a Duomatic hub.
Yes, a great hub and brake.
Not sure what size cog is on it.
I have a rear wheel w/ a Perry hub in the garage
Pretty sure it's a Canadian 28" (no markings)
with a matching front wheel.
Just waiting for a suitable frame.

I found a suitable rear caliper for this yesterday and finished it off.
Rides well but will likely invert the handle bars for a more upright riding position.
My back and my neck suggest this......
Old 08-08-20, 08:33 AM
gster

The tire on my Canadian rim is marked
40-622 (700 x 38C 28 x 1 5/8 x 1 1/2)
Confusing?
Old 08-08-20, 09:58 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

40-622 (700 x 38C 28 x 1 5/8 x 1 1/2)
Confusing?
Typical for us it seems.
Old 08-09-20, 08:42 AM
gster

As predicted, the Bridgestone 3 speed conversion came back
to have the bars turned up.

As cool as these Scorchers look, the riding position doesn't suit everyone.
Myself included.

Bars have been flipped and the headset needed a little tighten up.
Archie Bell and the Drells
Tighten Up.

Likes For gster:
Old 08-09-20, 04:44 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
40-622 (700 x 38C 28 x 1 5/8 x 1 1/2) Confusing?
You just have to train yourself to ignore everything except the ETRTO/ISO size designation: 40-622
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 08-10-20, 05:11 AM
oldveloman

Bikes: 1951-2 BSA 900E Roadster, 1961 Triumph Sports, 1953 Raleigh Sports, 1981 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Twenty, 1951 Taxandria, ±1950 The Gold Lion Tandem

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
BSA 3-speed hub

A few weeks ago, I finally laced my NOS BSA 3-speed hub in the rusty rim of my '54 BSA Tourer.
In de box of NOS spokes I have, I was lucky enough to find the right length, number AND quantity of spokes needed
First job, was checking the hub, to see if there was enough oil and grease in it.
The oil seemed to have evaporated over the years and I was surprised to find only a minimal amount of grease in is too, as can be seen below...

After servicing the hub, lacing could begin...

Trial fitting the finished wheel on the bike. Its stablemate saw all was well

Been doing some 50 km since and glad to have this lovely bicycle back on the road. Missed it...

Peter
Likes For oldveloman:
Old 08-10-20, 05:37 AM
gster

Originally Posted by oldveloman
A few weeks ago, I finally laced my NOS BSA 3-speed hub in the rusty rim of my '54 BSA Tourer.
In de box of NOS spokes I have, I was lucky enough to find the right length, number AND quantity of spokes needed
First job, was checking the hub, to see if there was enough oil and grease in it.
The oil seemed to have evaporated over the years and I was surprised to find only a minimal amount of grease in is too, as can be seen below...

After servicing the hub, lacing could begin...

Trial fitting the finished wheel on the bike. Its stablemate saw all was well

Been doing some 50 km since and glad to have this lovely bicycle back on the road. Missed it...

Peter
Perhaps a photo of the bike, and the BSA motorcycle as well...
Old 08-10-20, 06:39 AM
W.L.SOON 

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
5 Grand for a Raleigh Tourist?🤤Really guys?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Highly-Coll...edirect=mobile
Old 08-10-20, 10:36 AM
gster

the seller says the value will only go up!
How can you loose?
Old 08-10-20, 10:41 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 116 Posts
the seller says the value will only go up!
How can you loose?
You stand to lose a lot if you listen to this greedy seller.
Old 08-10-20, 12:04 PM
oldveloman

Bikes: 1951-2 BSA 900E Roadster, 1961 Triumph Sports, 1953 Raleigh Sports, 1981 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Twenty, 1951 Taxandria, ±1950 The Gold Lion Tandem

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Perhaps a photo of the bike, and the BSA motorcycle as well...
Here' s the 1954 BSA Roadster:

And the 1967 BSA B40WD motorbike:

Peter
Likes For oldveloman:
Old 08-10-20, 12:34 PM
gster

Originally Posted by Ballenxj
You stand to lose a lot if you listen to this greedy seller.
Are you suggesting that things on the internet may not be true**********
Old 08-10-20, 12:46 PM
gster

Originally Posted by oldveloman
Here' s the 1954 BSA Roadster:

And the 1967 BSA B40WD motorbike:

Peter
Thx.
Most of the BSA motorbikes that came to North America were 500/650/750's
Nice to see a 350
Old 08-10-20, 12:47 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 116 Posts
Are you suggesting that things on the internet may not be true**********
Especially from that person.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.