Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Replacement handlebars/grips for 2012 Trek 7.6 FX

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-12, 06:21 PM
Spiff_P239

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just picked up my new 2012 Trek 7.6 FX from the LBS and love it so far except for one thing, the handlebars. On my first ride, I decided to see how fast I could get it moving on smooth pavement and with my weight shifted forward, the right grip started to shift and the end cap popped off. I managed to get it tightened back up temporarily but it doesn't appear as though it will be a permanent fix. Also, I'd like to get bar ends and do not want to deal with having to purchase an adapter so now I need to get a new handlebar and grips. Any help choosing a good handlebar and recommending a set of bar ends would be appreciated. I'm comfortable on the bike with the stock setup so I don't need anything that will change my riding position. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-24-12, 10:04 PM
tahoe_girl

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse; 2012 Trek 7.6; 2010 Trek 7.0 FX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also have the '12 Trek 7.6. While I was waiting for my bar end adapters to come in, I swapped out the IsoZone bar with a Bontrager Select bar. However, just today I put the IsoZone bar back on and will ride it for the first time with the oringal bar. I'll be curious to see how it works. I also bought a pair of drop bar ends but am not too confident putting them on the IsoZone bar so I have a feeling I'll be swapping them back out.
Old 06-25-12, 05:22 AM
jtaylor2

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiff_P239
I just picked up my new 2012 Trek 7.6 FX from the LBS and love it so far except for one thing, the handlebars. On my first ride, I decided to see how fast I could get it moving on smooth pavement and with my weight shifted forward, the right grip started to shift and the end cap popped off. I managed to get it tightened back up temporarily but it doesn't appear as though it will be a permanent fix. Also, I'd like to get bar ends and do not want to deal with having to purchase an adapter so now I need to get a new handlebar and grips. Any help choosing a good handlebar and recommending a set of bar ends would be appreciated. I'm comfortable on the bike with the stock setup so I don't need anything that will change my riding position. Thanks in advance.
Both the grip and the end cap have bolts to clamp them on. If properly installed they should not move. I would take it back to the LBS and have them do a permanent fix. The IsoZone bar end adapters actually worked better than I expected so they might be worth trying if you just want to add stand size bar ends.

Jim
Old 06-25-12, 06:11 AM
OKIE_55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had my LBS order the bar end adapters and I installed them with bar ends, I like them, and they don't move at all.
Just make sure the screws are tight, and all is good.
Old 06-25-12, 05:29 PM
Spiff_P239

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I ended up heading back up to the LBS and they got me squared away. Turns out the brake levers needed to be moved slightly inward so that the inner clamp on the grip had more surface area to clamp down on. They're now on there rock solid so I'm stoked. Took an 11.6 mile ride after leaving the LBS and all I can say is that I love this bike.
Old 06-25-12, 09:10 PM
tahoe_girl

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse; 2012 Trek 7.6; 2010 Trek 7.0 FX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I put my IsoZone bar back on the bike and took it for a ride today, about 25 miles round trip. Had a few issues in the beginning, but took it to my LBS and they fixed her all up. I have to say, the IsoZone bar with bar ends worked out better than I expected. I'm pretty pleased with the current set up.