Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

hand going numb during rides

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-12, 12:40 PM
blueduckxx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

[I broke my right hand in 2009 fyi] recently I've been putting a LOT more miles in on the bike and have noticed that same right wrist goes numb while biking, I assume from the pressure.

any way to alleviate this pain, or anyone else experience this? Thanks.
Old 07-30-12, 12:43 PM
RoyIII

Bikes: Gios Compact Pro 10 Chorus, Gios single speed, Pedal Force RS2 10 chorus, CAAD5 10 Centaur, Diamondback dirt bike, Fuji Fixed Gear.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
try tipping the nose of your saddle up a little
Old 07-30-12, 12:45 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Since this is in the road forum, I assume you're already using drop bars. I had terrible problems with that on straight bars, but the ability to move my hands around on drop bars substantially quelled the issue. Try moving your hands around more.

And while it's no panacea, I have found taking B-6 supplements improves circulation to the hands and helps reduce numbness.
Old 07-30-12, 12:48 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Start out by making sure your position on the bike is good. If you haven't had a professional fitting, its worth it.

Assuming that you don't have fit issues, you can deal with or prevent numbness by 1)changing your hand positions frequently, 2) not having a death grip on the bars, 3) avoid cocking your wrist, which traps the nerve (in other words, keep your forearm and the back of your palm in one continuous plane rather than your palm angled back toward your arm), 4) ride one handed or no handed for short breaks, 5) hold your hand up and shake it lightly.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-30-12, 12:52 PM
iamtim

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Vent Noir; 2016 Mercier Kilo TT Pro

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
^^^ this.

Also, when I started riding I was having similar issues. I worked on my core a bit and improved my strength there so that all my weight wasn't on my hands.
Old 07-30-12, 01:09 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
How do you normally grip the bars? I find little problem when I am fully grasping the hoods for extended periods, but when I place my hands just at the back of the hoods/slightly on the bars, I tend to have a bit of numbness after a time. That position allows my wrist to not stay straight and so I try to avoid that position for long periods.
Old 07-30-12, 01:17 PM
ddimick

Bikes: 2011 Look 566 Ultegra, 2010 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a similar issue and resolved it by rotating my bars up a degree or two to get my wrist angle a bit better while on the hoods.
Old 07-30-12, 01:25 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couple short articles on numb hand causes/prevention for cyclists (2nd has a good graphic):

https://highperformancesports.blogspo...-palsy-or.html

https://www.hughston.com/hha/a_15_3_2.htm
Old 07-30-12, 01:56 PM
IANative

Bikes: Orbea Orca Rival, Specialized Roubaix SL2 Rival, Specialized CrossTrail Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tagged for reading tonight
Old 07-30-12, 02:07 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

One position that takes the pressure off the nerve is to ride on the hoods, wrist straight out, and the hood between your index and middle finger. or middle and ring. Takes a bit getting used to because the pressure between your fingers isn't very comfortable, but on a long ride, it's one more option for a few minutes that completely removes nerve compression of both the ulnar and median nerve.

Its the split finger fast ball position.

Another thing to look at in the drops, is how the drop portion of the bars is oriented particularly for ergo style bars. They should be rotated so that your wrist is straight out and not cocked when you're in the drops. Many people, trying to get their hoods higher to deal with more drop than is comfortable for them, rotate the bars up too far, leading to a cocking of the wrist in the drops.
Old 07-30-12, 02:17 PM
dimachka

Bikes: Giant TCX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blueduckxx
[I broke my right hand in 2009 fyi] recently I've been putting a LOT more miles in on the bike and have noticed that same right wrist goes numb while biking, I assume from the pressure.

any way to alleviate this pain, or anyone else experience this? Thanks.
Gloves. Specialized makes a nice pair with padding at the bottom middle of the palm where a lot of this numbness comes from.
Old 07-30-12, 02:23 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by dimachka
Gloves. Specialized makes a nice pair with padding at the bottom middle of the palm where a lot of this numbness comes from.
Gloves are likely to help with numbness from the median nurve. But thick padded gloves aren't going to help numbness from the ulnar nerve, and may actually make it worse if they make you cock your wrist more.

The pics in hokuluo's second link show how wrist angle is the problem in ulnar nerve numbness.
Old 07-30-12, 10:30 PM
blueduckxx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yeah, I think my gloves are too tight so I tried without today and was better. Also moved my hands around a lot as well and of course helped...DEFINITELY need to work on my core so I'm not leaning so much on my wrists.
thanks everyone!!
& yes I've been fitted.
Old 07-30-12, 11:45 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I get numb from the death grip,I like to grab the hoods, & rest my forearms on my bars when I'm feeling tired/numb for a few minutes.
Shaking them out helps too, @ stop lights I'll shake them out, & lock my hands together with my fingers locked in between each other, & rotate my wrists in a circular motion, or back/forth, & side to side. (If you're into MMA/UFC/Pride think Wanderlei Silva's pre fight warm up.)
Old 07-31-12, 12:59 PM
blueduckxx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ghost Ryder
When I get numb from the death grip,I like to grab the hoods, & rest my forearms on my bars when I'm feeling tired/numb for a few minutes.
Shaking them out helps too, @ stop lights I'll shake them out, & lock my hands together with my fingers locked in between each other, & rotate my wrists in a circular motion, or back/forth, & side to side. (If you're into MMA/UFC/Pride think Wanderlei Silva's pre fight warm up.)
oh I will definitely try that.
been doing the side to side motion at stop lights as well.