Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2007 Specialized Tarmac Expert full dura-ace value?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-14, 10:03 PM
psychoanalyst

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I have the opportunity to buy the specialized tarmac fitted with full dura ace components.

The seller tells me that he bought the bike new in 2007 and he had it fitted with dura ace components (don't know when that was done yet). He is asking in the $1500 ball park, which is way beyond my budget, especially for a model that is already 7 years old.

I looked at the specialized website and apparently this bike and model came equipped with ultegra components.

I wasn't sure how to gauge the price of the bike before I make my offer, so thought I'd get your take on it.

I am going to test ride it this weekend to see if I like the bike.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
Old 08-08-14, 01:27 AM
TheSame

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac / Santa Cruz Blur LTC

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say... $1300-1500.

I've seen newer Tarmacs with full 105 go for $1300. So... older with full DA... probably about the same.
Old 08-08-14, 11:30 AM
psychoanalyst

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks! that gives me a good starting point.
Old 08-08-14, 11:40 AM
natzoo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You also need to consider how many miles the bike was ridden.

A 7 year old bike that was ridden 1000 miles and garaged is completely different than a bike ridden 2000mi every year for 7 years.

In my opinion I would rather take a newer tarmac with the latest 105 group over the old dura ace group tarmac. The ergonomics, internal cable routing, and shift effort has all been significantly improved.

I would even take a new 105 aluminum bike over a 7 year old used dura ace carbon bike. But that is just me. There have been huge improvements to bike design. Better shifters, bb30 bottom brackets, tapered head tubes, etc...

for example: GT Bikes GTR Series 2 Bike 2013 > Complete Bikes > Road Bikes | Jenson USA
or Diamondback Century 2 Road Bike 2014 > Complete Bikes > Road Bikes | Jenson USA

save $400 to buy more biking clothes, better wheels, better tires, and you will have a much better experience. Or, just save $400 hahaha
Old 08-08-14, 12:33 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You should also consider a new 2015 bike with 11sp Shimano 105 5800. You could argue it will shift just as good as 7 year old Dura Ace (but I know many will disagree.) Still, you get to ride a brand new bike and frames have gotten considerably better in the last 7 years.
Old 08-08-14, 12:51 PM
psychoanalyst

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I don't have the mileage details, but the owner mentioned that the conversion to full Dura Ace was fairly recent. And he is willing to drop the price to $1200.

But I do understand what you guys are saying.

I have been chasing after a Cannondale CAAD10, but so far its been out of reach and I am beginning to lose patience.
Old 08-08-14, 01:26 PM
psychoanalyst

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
just confirmed with owner. Bike has ~3K miles on it, of which 1K are with the DuraAce....I can't get the year out of the owner....weird.
Old 08-08-14, 02:08 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Frames have improved SO much in the last 7 years, I'd get the new one with 105 everyday all day over somebody else's 7 year old bike.

I switched from a 2007 roubaix to a 2012 roubaix and the difference was pretty noticeable - I'm assuming tarmacs have been similarly improved, and the SL4 is supposed to be the best one yet.
Old 08-08-14, 02:51 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by psychoanalyst
I don't have the mileage details, but the owner mentioned that the conversion to full Dura Ace was fairly recent. And he is willing to drop the price to $1200.
If it's Dura Ace 9000 that's a steal. I doubt it though since that usually requires a new rear hub or entire new wheel. If it's 7800 or 7900 Dura Ace the price is fair but IMO a new Tarmac with 11sp 105 will be nicer (but a bit heavier.) You'd be surprised how hard it can be to remember what year a frame is when a bike gets to be that age
Old 08-08-14, 02:51 PM
ksisler

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by psychoanalyst
I have the opportunity to buy the specialized tarmac fitted with full dura ace components. The seller tells me that he bought the bike new in 2007 and he had it fitted with dura ace components (don't know when that was done yet). He is asking in the $1500 ball park, which is way beyond my budget, especially for a model that is already 7 years old. I looked at the specialized website and apparently this bike and model came equipped with ultegra components. I wasn't sure how to gauge the price of the bike before I make my offer, so thought I'd get your take on it.
I am going to test ride it this weekend to see if I like the bike.

Would appreciate any advice.
Thanks.
OP; The first owner chose to modify the bike by changing all the components. Thus it is no longer "original". After you decide what it might be worth, suggest subtract at least 30% for it being a frankenbike, basically its value is now the net value added up of all the parts in used condition...plus a couple of hundred bucks for a used steel frame, assuming the paint is very nice. imho. My gut tells me $900 tops.

/K
Old 08-08-14, 06:19 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by natzoo
You also need to consider how many miles the bike was ridden.

A 7 year old bike that was ridden 1000 miles and garaged is completely different than a bike ridden 2000mi every year for 7 years.

In my opinion I would rather take a newer tarmac with the latest 105 group over the old dura ace group tarmac. The ergonomics, internal cable routing, and shift effort has all been significantly improved.

I would even take a new 105 aluminum bike over a 7 year old used dura ace carbon bike. But that is just me. There have been huge improvements to bike design. Better shifters, bb30 bottom brackets, tapered head tubes, etc...

for example: GT Bikes GTR Series 2 Bike 2013 > Complete Bikes > Road Bikes | Jenson USA
or Diamondback Century 2 Road Bike 2014 > Complete Bikes > Road Bikes | Jenson USA

save $400 to buy more biking clothes, better wheels, better tires, and you will have a much better experience. Or, just save $400 hahaha

A BB30 Bottom bracket is better? You are not a mechanic and frankly they work but give me a BSA standard any day for ease and service.
Old 08-08-14, 06:45 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Frames have improved SO much in the last 7 years, I'd get the new one with 105 everyday all day over somebody else's 7 year old bike.

I switched from a 2007 roubaix to a 2012 roubaix and the difference was pretty noticeable - I'm assuming tarmacs have been similarly improved, and the SL4 is supposed to be the best one yet.
so true!
Old 08-08-14, 07:08 PM
macca33

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Noah SL - Candy Apple DA9000, 2011 CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800, 2013 FOCUS Mares CX Ult6800

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too old and too expensive....move on....
Old 08-08-14, 07:46 PM
psychoanalyst

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks a lot for knocking some sense into my head!! Deal is off.
Old 08-10-14, 10:02 AM
psychoanalyst

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
An alternative for me is to build a bike using components I already have.

My faithful khs flite frame got totaled recently (thanks to a hit and run), but I think a lot of the important components are recoverable.

I know that the drive train and the d/r s are fine. And they are a decent set too (ultegra and dura ace).

I might need a new cockpit and wheels and maybe brakes. And of course the frame itself.

Does it make sense? I do want to get into bike building as I love the experience of building anything.