Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Burley Rock N' Roll Value

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-11, 11:05 PM
hogansvt

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

I have a 1995 or 1996 Burley Rock N' Roll with about 250 miles on it. It's in perfect almost showroom condition. It has been stored inside my warm basement. Because of my declining health I cannot ride anymore. I have slowly been selling off my bikes but still have this purple beauty. What is it worth? Thank you in advance.

Last edited by hogansvt; 10-16-11 at 11:05 PM. Reason: grammer

Old 10-17-11, 08:41 AM
mycoatl
Sasquatch Crossing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Around here (Portland, OR), that bike would go for +/- $1000. Your name includes "vt" so I'm wondering if you live in Vermont? If so, if may be difficult to sell this time of year since folks won't be doing a lot of riding before snow comes--start advertising during mud season. ;-)
Old 10-17-11, 10:45 AM
jerman

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a '92 to '95 steel Trek T200 Fast Track 7 speed with bar-end shifters in May. It sounds like yours, kept indoors and cleaned and maintained more than it was ridden - beautiful red paint job. It came with new tires (cheap) and I paid $900. The bike shop thought it wasn't such a bad deal as the bike looks perfect.
After continuing to follow tandems that pop up for sale it made me think I paid too much as the technology has changed. So far I have had to replace the quill stem with a quill column adaptor to be able to mount a new stem on it and install a 31mm set of handlebars that I already had. I also replaced the stokers bars with a newer set of bars that I had here . The old sets were made very uncomortable back then. The brake hoods are still narrow and uncomfortable.
I have had to have the wheels rebuilt with new hoops as the eyelets were pulling out in the rear. I put new brake pads on. The saddles were original so I've replaced along with the clip and cage pedals. Not counting the pedals or saddles, I have ~$375 in the bike, plus my own parts that I have supplied.
If I like tandeming and upgrade to a newer bike I doubt I will get my money out of this but at least it should be easier to sell.
Old 10-17-11, 12:33 PM
steve53mg

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Santa Cruz Heckler, Santana Visa TAndem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your rock and roll cost the same (approx $2000) as the Duet (road bike), when new. I sold a Duet about 5 years older, two years ago, for $450. My bike, aside from just being older, had the dissadvantage of being Sun Tour, and having 27" wheels...both quite obsolete for a road bike. Your bike should be all Shimano, and the 26" wheel is, of course, standard on a mountain bike...this is good, but you probably don't have a shock fork, which would be a disadvantage for a serious mountain bike duo. All in all, I would think that you should be able to get between $750 and close to $1000. The disadvantage that we all face, and this limits the distance that we can sell to, is the freight issue. It's too big to go via UPS and fedex, but sometimes Greyhound bus works. The cost of shipping can approach $200.
Old 10-17-11, 11:05 PM
hup

Bikes: '04 Serotta CIII, '01 Lemond Poprad, mid 90s Burley Rock N Roll Tandem, Old School Specialized HardRock, '15 GT Grade alloy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a 96 Rock N Roll. We bought it last year. Ours is predominately stock, but has been "roadie - ized" with drop bars and bar end shifters. Chris King headset, Arai drum brake. It had been ridden, but painstakingly maintained and cared for. It was the seller's backup bike, and we picked it up for $375(!) I don't think I'd let it go for under $700, more likely $750-$900.
I would think that your bike would be worth about the same, in the $750 range(?) You might be better off waiting until springtime. Also, making the bike road ready with new tires and maybe a set of brake pads and maybe even cables might not get you more money, but could make the bike easier to sell.
Good luck!
Henry

p.s. do you have a picture you can post? It's always fun to see bikes similar to my own ....
Old 10-18-11, 07:03 AM
steve53mg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hup, You got a steal on that bike! A new Chris King headset alone is worth 1/3 of what you paid and the arai brake could be sold for at least $200!! I totally agree with your estimate!
Old 10-18-11, 08:15 AM
hup

Bikes: '04 Serotta CIII, '01 Lemond Poprad, mid 90s Burley Rock N Roll Tandem, Old School Specialized HardRock, '15 GT Grade alloy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve53mg
Hup, You got a steal on that bike! A new Chris King headset alone is worth 1/3 of what you paid and the arai brake could be sold for at least $200!! I totally agree with your estimate!
Thanks Steve. The bike also came with two sets of beautiful Suntour Superbe Pro track pedals that we sold on ebay for $75 each. .... and to top it off, the seller was a great guy! We walked into a fantastic deal.
For our tandem purposes, the bike is just great.

p.s. are also you on the Serotta message board?

OP, sorry to hijack
Old 10-18-11, 05:39 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I'd guesstimate around $750 after you re-lube everything after sitting for all those years.
Ask a bit more but be prepared to take a bit less!
Old 10-19-11, 01:50 PM
steve53mg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hup, Not on the Serotta board, but I will check it out now! Are you speaking about the forum located on the Serotta website or is there one here? Happy tandeming!

Last edited by steve53mg; 10-19-11 at 01:56 PM.