Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek DS 8.3 or 8.4 ?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek DS 8.3 or 8.4 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-13, 03:09 PM
since197three

Bikes: 2015 Trek Farley 6, 2013 Trek 8.4 DS, '85 Hutch Trickstar, Schwinn S1 Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek DS 8.3 or 8.4 ?

Hello All,

I just came back from my local cycle shop after ordering a Trek 8.3 DS which I had my heart set on. But now I'm torn between that and an 8.4 after seeing it at the shop.

Decisions decisions!! Is it worth the extra money ??

Last edited by since197three; 09-03-13 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-03-13, 04:00 PM
GaryPitts

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When my daughter was shopping for a DS last year, I felt like the 8.4 was the sweet spot. It would be the least one I would go with, but I have more expensive tastes She ended up with the 8.3 and likes it fine, but she doesn't ride much. At all...
Old 09-03-13, 05:55 PM
since197three

Bikes: 2015 Trek Farley 6, 2013 Trek 8.4 DS, '85 Hutch Trickstar, Schwinn S1 Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GaryPitts
When my daughter was shopping for a DS last year, I felt like the 8.4 was the sweet spot. It would be the least one I would go with, but I have more expensive tastes She ended up with the 8.3 and likes it fine, but she doesn't ride much. At all...
Thanks for the input Gary. Going to be hard sleeping tonight!
Old 09-03-13, 06:11 PM
Lanovran

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
With the 8.4, you get better brakes (hydraulic vs. mechanical discs), upgraded drivetrain (crank, rear derailleur, and 9-speed vs. 8-speed), more comfortable ergonomic grips, and a better suspension lockout (the lockout on the 8.3 can't be switched on the fly with a rider's weight bearing down on it, whereas the 8.4's lockout doesn't have that problem). In my opinion, the 8.4 is quite a nice step up from the 8.3.

Oh, a bit nicer tires too.

Last edited by Lanovran; 09-03-13 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-03-13, 06:27 PM
since197three

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lanovran
With the 8.4, you get better brakes (hydraulic vs. mechanical discs), upgraded drivetrain (crank, rear derailleur, and 9-speed vs. 8-speed), more comfortable ergonomic grips, and a better suspension lockout (the lockout on the 8.3 can't be switched on the fly with a rider's weight bearing down on it, whereas the 8.4's lockout doesn't have that problem). In my opinion, the 8.4 is quite a nice step up from the 8.3.

Oh, a bit nicer tires too.
Hmmmm that is VERY good to know. I'll be riding both tomorrow so will make my final decision then. Wish they made the 8.4 in True Blue though that's a sweet color.
Old 09-03-13, 07:24 PM
Lanovran

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by since197three
Hmmmm that is VERY good to know. I'll be riding both tomorrow so will make my final decision then. Wish they made the 8.4 in True Blue though that's a sweet color.
See if they'll give you a peek at the new 2014 model in "dark metallic blue." It's pretty sweet-looking.
Old 09-04-13, 03:11 PM
since197three

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well just got back from my LBS and road both bikes. Wound up ordering a 2013 clearance 8.4 in white. But not after getting chewed out for riding the 8.4 they had there. They were thinking I would buy that one. Apparently I got the tires dusty and the owner didn't appreciate that. Good thing they priced matched and had my deposit from the 8.3 or I would have walked out. I let them know how I felt but when the bike comes in they will be told never again will I do business there. Pissed I even gave them my money.

Last edited by since197three; 09-04-13 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-04-13, 06:45 PM
Rogan

Bikes: Trek 8.4DS

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That is the one I bought. The '13 in white. Of course I paid full retail for mine three months ago, $899 plus tax and $15 for a kickstand and water bottle/cage. Now they are on clearance for $749. I wish I had not looked at the clearance price.

Wasting money aside, the 8.4 in that matte crystal white is an eye catching bike. I have had numerous ten to twenty something year olds in the neighborhood tell me how cool the bike looks. Always the young. The bike shape and color must appeal most to the young, at least by my experience.
Old 09-05-13, 08:45 AM
deerfly

Bikes: 2012 Marin Rock Springs, 2012 Trek 8.3 DS, 2013 Cannondale Quick SL2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by since197three
Well just got back from my LBS and road both bikes. Wound up ordering a 2013 clearance 8.4 in white. But not after getting chewed out for riding the 8.4 they had there. They were thinking I would buy that one. Apparently I got the tires dusty and the owner didn't appreciate that. Good thing they priced matched and had my deposit from the 8.3 or I would have walked out. I let them know how I felt but when the bike comes in they will be told never again will I do business there. Pissed I even gave them my money.
Not sure if you were at a Trek Factory store or just a regular LBS but I found the factory store people to be very arrogent. Charge full price, wouldn't throw in a kickstand or bottle cage. Wouldn't swap out the seat for the one I wanted unless I paid full price for the new seat. The girl behind the counter started writing out the paper work and said the bike would be ready "next week" sometime, even though they had it in stock. That was it for me. Told her to cancel the order, there were too many things about her dealership that I didn't like. On the way home I stopped at a little rinky-dink bike shop. They had a crystal white DS 8.3 in a 17.5 frame on the floor that was marked down $100. I asked about throwing in a kickstand. No problem. They changed the seat out too and I only paid the difference. Dealerships make a huge difference when it comes down to it. I would go back to the rinky-dink shop but will not step foot in a factory store again.
Old 09-05-13, 10:40 AM
since197three

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogan
That is the one I bought. The '13 in white. Of course I paid full retail for mine three months ago, $899 plus tax and $15 for a kickstand and water bottle/cage. Now they are on clearance for $749. I wish I had not looked at the clearance price.

Wasting money aside, the 8.4 in that matte crystal white is an eye catching bike. I have had numerous ten to twenty something year olds in the neighborhood tell me how cool the bike looks. Always the young. The bike shape and color must appeal most to the young, at least by my experience.
Oh wow! $749 haven't seen them that low around here. I paid $819 and that's after having them price match down from the $849 "clearance" price they gave me. At least you paid $899 when it was $899 lol

I love lighter and brighter colors also. Black bikes just don't do it for me. When asked to order it in white the owner tried discouraging me saying most people don't like white bikes because they get dirty fast.

In other breaking news: water is wet!!!
Old 09-05-13, 10:56 AM
since197three

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deerfly
Not sure if you were at a Trek Factory store or just a regular LBS but I found the factory store people to be very arrogent. Charge full price, wouldn't throw in a kickstand or bottle cage. Wouldn't swap out the seat for the one I wanted unless I paid full price for the new seat. The girl behind the counter started writing out the paper work and said the bike would be ready "next week" sometime, even though they had it in stock. That was it for me. Told her to cancel the order, there were too many things about her dealership that I didn't like. On the way home I stopped at a little rinky-dink bike shop. They had a crystal white DS 8.3 in a 17.5 frame on the floor that was marked down $100. I asked about throwing in a kickstand. No problem. They changed the seat out too and I only paid the difference. Dealerships make a huge difference when it comes down to it. I would go back to the rinky-dink shop but will not step foot in a factory store again.
Amazing and that's a factory store. Glad to hear you had a happy outcome from all of that.

This shop is a rinky dink place that is a few mins from me which is why I decided to patronize it. They are charging me an extra $10 for a shipping fee which is BS in my opinion. He took in the 8.3 for me to check out at no charge saying If I wanted the 8.4 it wouldn't be a problem. It boils down to he thought the black 8.4 already in stock was going to be my choice.

What is it with these shops ? Do they already have their clientele and I am annoying to them with my drop in the bucket purchase?? Talk about discouraging to the sport!!

Not sure if the bike will be ready today or tomorrow. Let's wait and see.
Old 09-07-13, 06:39 PM
since197three

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked up the 8.4 yesterday evening and really didn't get a chance to ride until today.
INCREDIBLE. So happy with my choice to get this bike. Can't wait for the sun to rise so I can get at it again.
The matte white looks great IMO great looking bike.