Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

for those who listen to music what earbuds do you use

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

for those who listen to music what earbuds do you use

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-13, 06:47 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take a look at Skullcandy Ink'd earbuds. Good sound and never fall out. Mine have lasted well over 2 yrs.
Old 12-19-13, 08:05 PM
Vicegrip

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$12 JVC brand in ear buds from Best but and another $5 for the replacement plan. I seem to get about 3 months before one ear bud quits or gets real quiet. with the replacement plan paid for I figure they will never ever, ever go bad.

I tend to only use one ear when on roads. Will two ear it on low when on bike paths when they are not busy.

100% agree on the lights coment. I have had more than one car in front of me do something stupid from not seeing me while pretty looking right at me. I run lights in back 100% of the time day or night and in front when in conditions other than mid day on the bike paths.
Old 12-19-13, 08:39 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by buffalowings
What MP3 player do you guys use? (or phone) I use a 4gb sansa clip+ $25 with a 32gb micro sd card ($20).
The beetle mp3 player ($3.40) lives on the back of my helmet. I figure it's camouflage, people will just think it's a giant bug. All I want is for it to start playing when I turn it on, wherever I left off. The cheapest junk works best for that.
Old 12-20-13, 01:03 AM
NoviceJohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the buds that came with my ipod and it doesn't bother me. However I only use them on MUPs. It's illegal to wear buds on the road in Florida.
Old 12-20-13, 07:54 AM
GaryPitts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bose Sie2 https://www.amazon.com/Bose-SIE2-Spor...words=bose+ie2 They're great because besides sounding great, they are non-blocking, sitting outside the ear canal plus they are 'weather resistant'.
Old 12-20-13, 08:21 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by NoviceJohn
I use the buds that came with my ipod and it doesn't bother me. However I only use them on MUPs. It's illegal to wear buds on the road in Florida.
I thought it was only illegal to use 2 earbuds (having one in your right ear is fine)? In any case, I use cheapie $9 panasonics I found online that are in-ear. I tuck the left bud into the top of my bibs and run the cable under my jersey into my right rear jersey pocket. They're perfect because they have a line in controller like the apple earbuds so I can change volume, skip songs, and have Siri read me my wife's texts wondering why my 45 minute ride is now 2 hours.
Old 12-20-13, 08:26 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
have Siri read me my wife's texts wondering why my 45 minute ride is now 2 hours.
Some people just don't get it. How much fun would a 45 min rid be anyway
Old 12-20-13, 09:34 AM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought it was only illegal to use 2 earbuds (having one in your right ear is fine)? In any case, I use cheapie $9 panasonics I found online that are in-ear. I tuck the left bud into the top of my bibs and run the cable under my jersey into my right rear jersey pocket. They're perfect because they have a line in controller like the apple earbuds so I can change volume, skip songs, and have Siri read me my wife's texts wondering why my 45 minute ride is now 2 hours.
Depends on where you live, me personally, I would't mind being in a cop car chase with a bike.
Old 12-20-13, 09:38 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by 99Klein
Some people just don't get it. How much fun would a 45 min rid be anyway
She does 45 minute group classes at the gym, so I must be able to get in a totally satisfactory workout on my bike in the same amount of time using her logic. She is right to a certain extent if I wanted to do structured high intensity intervals every day. No thanks.
Old 12-20-13, 09:46 AM
kv501

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NoviceJohn
Is it illegal for deaf people to ride a bike in Florida?
Old 12-20-13, 10:05 AM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kv501
Is it illegal for deaf people to ride a bike in Florida?
Deaf people are more aware of their surroundings in order to compensate for their disability, whereas a hearing person is considered more distracted when wearing earbuds.

But that's not what the OP is asking about; so if this turns into an earbuds pro/con thread it will get closed pretty quickly.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 12-20-13, 10:15 AM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Scansound.com. I use a single ear stereo bud so my left ear can still hear, but I hear the whole song, just in one ear. Plus the one I have has a play/pause or answer/hangup button, and when you answer calls people can hear you without wind noise. Only headphone I will use on the bike.
Old 12-20-13, 01:13 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CbadRider
if this turns into an earbuds pro/con thread it will get closed pretty quickly.
isn't that how every one of these threads end?
Old 12-21-13, 02:07 AM
NoviceJohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought it was only illegal to use 2 earbuds (having one in your right ear is fine)?
I think you're right on that because one ear plugged in is like wearing a headset for your phone.
Old 12-21-13, 02:22 AM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Take a look at the earbuds made by Monster. Expensive, but I find their quality exceptional. Especially when compared to the crap marketed by Beats by Dr. Dre. I have a Dr Dre in-ear headphone that I can't stand anymore since I bought and started using my Monster iSport.
Old 12-22-13, 05:07 AM
wxmcpo
Beginning Rider

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite / 2016 Tarmac Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just use the ones that came with my new smartphone and have never had an issue with them.
Old 12-22-13, 07:05 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wxmcpo
I just use the ones that came with my new smartphone and have never had an issue with them.
Ignorance is bliss.
Old 12-22-13, 08:35 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
For my purposes, especially on the bike/trainer, sound quality isn't that important. It just has to be decent. The main issue riding is noise generated by wind passing over the ears which is exacerbated by headphones that don't seal the ear canal and stick out from the ear. It increases with speed starting over 15 mph or so. If you do intend to listen to music, the volume has to be pretty high and sound quality becomes pretty irrelevant with all the wind noise. Low profile sealing earphones allow using much lower volume.

FWIW. Driving in my car, my ears are sealed from external noises and I can hear them about as well as riding with ear sealing headphones on the bike. I also wear earplugs when riding motorcycles to attenuate wind noise. Same, thing. I hear outside noises, just attenuated to like what they'd be in my car.
Old 12-22-13, 10:37 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
I've been running Munitio SV buds for about a yr now. Sound great with good noise canceling when not using them for cycling. Not as much bass as Beats but cleaners mids and highs vs Beats

https://www.munitio.com/2013/01/

https://www.amazon.com/Munitio-Mobile...tio+headphones
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 12-22-13, 10:58 AM
Bakerb24

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an $80 pair of yurbuds that I bought for marathons, the dread-mill and on the trainer. Those things are money. Just like everyone else though..there's no way in Hell I'd ever wear them while on the bike on the road.
Old 12-22-13, 11:15 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
Bose IE2 for the win! I absolutely love love LOVE these earphones for riding. The comfort gel piece is so soft and comfortable, you can ride all day (I only use my right ear) and it won't get painful. Not sealing, so you can still hear around you.

And they will NEVER fall out no matter how much you sweat!!!
I use these also............. got a good deal on them at Costco. They're not noise cancelling so you can hear the car that's about to hit you, and they sound awesome!!!!
Old 12-22-13, 11:39 AM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have my Westone earbuds (ahem...in ear speakers) custom modified so my iPhone automatically dials 911 when my head hits the ground....
Old 12-22-13, 11:59 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
I use these with, their "mushroom" ear plugs. Great quality and outside noise isolation.
head phones
Old 12-24-13, 01:19 AM
Redbird74

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
I would bet you money that the BOSE IE2 would stay. I'm telling you. Im telling all of you that these ear buds are a secret that should be told. The design will not allow them the slide out of your ear canal.

I PROMISE YOU ALL!!

The ear buds like above with the hook still slide out of your ear, especially when you sweat, which means you have to reach up every 2 minutes to push them back in. The hook only helps them to not fall off your head.

I'm always looking for better earbuds as I'm constantly wearing them. Every pair I've had though, quits working from me sweating so much in them. Either one ear will cut out or, more often, the remote control/mic will quit working. I now have one pair that is slightly better for everything but working out and a pair of Yurbuds (sweat proof) for on the bike and all other exercise.

How do the Bose deal with sweat?
Old 12-24-13, 09:04 AM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbird74
I'm always looking for better earbuds as I'm constantly wearing them. Every pair I've had though, quits working from me sweating so much in them. Either one ear will cut out or, more often, the remote control/mic will quit working. I now have one pair that is slightly better for everything but working out and a pair of Yurbuds (sweat proof) for on the bike and all other exercise.

How do the Bose deal with sweat?
The IE2 Sport is sweat proof as well. I have seen many comparison videos and the Bose always wins with sound and comfort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.