Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Spinal stenosis? - Share your story

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-15, 06:20 AM
GaryPitts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've not ridden much for the last 2+ years. My norm used to be 4500 or so miles a year. This year I'm at 330. A bit over two years ago, my neck started hurting so bad I couldn't ride more than about 30 or 45 minutes without stopping. And stopping. And stopping... I've spent a bunch of money at doctors and PT trying to help things to no avail. My latest doc finally did a MRI and I've been diagnosed with spinal stenosis of C2-C6. I go in about 3 weeks to see what a neurosurgeon has to say about it.

I'd love to hear any stories others have. Supplements that may have helped. Neck exercises. Did you break down and have surgery and how much did that help? Man, I'd really love to get back on the bike like the old days. It's pretty much my only exercise which means I don't get any now
Old 10-23-15, 08:13 AM
mystang52

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite; Cannondale Quick 4

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have stenosis, but in my case it's mid and low back. I swim 4 times per week, and that helped tremendously. I used to wake up with debilitating sciatica, and walked hunched over until about 10 AM, when the pain finally subsided. Since my swimming regimen, I no longer have any sciatica, and as long as I don't do anything stupid virtually no back pain.
I don't know if swimming would be good for your neck stenosis, but it might be worth checking with your doctor.
I also started Yoga, and find that helps as well.
Old 10-23-15, 09:39 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I have no idea but would a recumbent help here?
Old 10-23-15, 09:48 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Every case is different. I had an MRI because of back pain and sciatica. It showed I had lumbar stenosis, arthritic facets, and thin discs. It took a couple years of stready, targeted exercise to make the pain mostly go away. Bike riding was the best exercise I found for it, though I also did a lot of work in the gym. No, a recumbent would be the opposite of helpful. What's needed is exercise.
Old 10-23-15, 03:12 PM
Gonemad

Bikes: '05 Klein Reve V, '96 Stump Jumper M2, Ancient Ex-Mt. Beater

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I suffered greatly from spinal stenosis in my neck, C5 C6 C7 from early 2005 to 2009 which COMPLETELY shut down any bicycling. In early 2005 my left thumb was 95% numb, and that hand and arm were constantly tingling and burning with moderate pain. I had just purchased a new road bike at the end of 2004 and I can't express how bummed out I was. I tried a couple of rounds of direct injections and PT, which helped but were far short of curing it. Any meds I tried had less efficacy. Finally in spring 2009 I had a c5-c6 fusion performed (which now I wish I done in 2005), which helped greatly, though the surgeon informed me that the nerve cord leaving the left side of that joint was permanently damaged such that some low level pain arm would be experienced, possibly forever. I was also directed by a staff clinician to forget completely about any serious cycling, of which I followed until about a year ago. About that time I was experiencing increased discomfort and went in and was prescribed and had yet another round of direct injections, though this time the follow-up PT doctor was a sports fanatic who swore that she would get me in shape for serious riding and my neck would do fine...and it's been 11 months now and I'm doing rides I have not done in over 10 years (and I'm now 56). So far no problems; the mild background arm pain is still there but it's not getting worse (and lets hope it stays that way). BTW, I never used, nor am currently using, any pain meds, other than when things were initially completely out of hand I resorted to vicodin. Crud, seeing that your entire neck is affected I feel for you. I hope there is a way through it for you. I'm "better", but definitely not perfect...but I gladly take whatever I've got (remaining, that is). I'm just glad my attempts to sell that road bike failed...finally getting the rides out of it I wanted to all those years ago. Heck, even if a few months from now things digress for me, I'll just be glad I had that one year gift of riding. The one thing I've learned is that you always got to look forward and leave the past behind you.

Last edited by Gonemad; 10-23-15 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 04:16 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
I began to have neck/stenosis issues in my late 30's. Drs. said it was caused by picking my parents. Had 4 or 5 bad years with painful episodes that would last for weeks at a time. Relied on Advil during the painful periods as, in my case, the pain came from swelling caused by nerves pinched in the narrowing spinal column. I could still ride a bit but couldn't look up. After a while, my neck autofused naturaly. As explained to me, a few series of discs calcified together. Now, at 62, I don't have much neck pain but have very poor mobility there. I can live with that. I've had risers added to my bikes for the last 10 years or so, although I just purchased a newer "Endurance" bike that seems to fit ok without a riser. Time will tell.

The stenosis though, has migrated south and I've had lumbar/hip problems for the past few years. Bicycling has been great for this though, along with core exercises and walking for the hamstrings. If there's a good side to this it is the message to keep exercising and to keep your weight down.

You will get through this although it might take some time. I'm sorry for your condition. Stay positive as it really beats the alternative.
Old 10-23-15, 08:54 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Gonemad
I suffered greatly from spinal stenosis in my neck, C5 C6 C7 from early 2005 to 2009 which COMPLETELY shut down any bicycling. In early 2005 my left thumb was 95% numb, and that hand and arm were constantly tingling and burning with moderate pain. I had just purchased a new road bike at the end of 2004 and I can't express how bummed out I was. I tried a couple of rounds of direct injections and PT, which helped but were far short of curing it. Any meds I tried had less efficacy. Finally in spring 2009 I had a c5-c6 fusion performed (which now I wish I done in 2005), which helped greatly, though the surgeon informed me that the nerve cord leaving the left side of that joint was permanently damaged such that some low level pain arm would be experienced, possibly forever. I was also directed by a staff clinician to forget completely about any serious cycling, of which I followed until about a year ago. About that time I was experiencing increased discomfort and went in and was prescribed and had yet another round of direct injections, though this time the follow-up PT doctor was a sports fanatic who swore that she would get me in shape for serious riding and my neck would do fine...and it's been 11 months now and I'm doing rides I have not done in over 10 years (and I'm now 56). So far no problems; the mild background arm pain is still there but it's not getting worse (and lets hope it stays that way). BTW, I never used, nor am currently using, any pain meds, other than when things were initially completely out of hand I resorted to vicodin. Crud, seeing that your entire neck is affected I feel for you. I hope there is a way through it for you. I'm "better", but definitely not perfect...but I gladly take whatever I've got (remaining, that is). I'm just glad my attempts to sell that road bike failed...finally getting the rides out of it I wanted to all those years ago. Heck, even if a few months from now things digress for me, I'll just be glad I had that one year gift of riding. The one thing I've learned is that you always got to look forward and leave the past behind you.
Cool! Can you tell us what she did for/with/to you? Particular exercises or what?
Old 10-23-15, 09:09 PM
nobodyhere
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Spondololythesis, stenosis in the lumbar area. Couldn't stand up straight. Only way to be pain free was the road bike or stooping over. Tried reams of PT, dry needling, etc.

Did a lot of searching and found what I thought to be the very best surgeon (they vary a lot, be careful - an acquaintance was ruined by a very well-presented quack) in the area, who had developed some new techniques and was nationally recognized.

L4-L5 fusion, walked a mile the day after surgery, and I was discharged that day. Post-op PT, walked for miles, and was on the mtn bike on the easy cement paths in 18 days. This was 5 years ago. Since then doing great. I do a tremendous amount of core strengthening, targeted/prescribed stretching, walking, swimming. Best I've felt in some time.

Last edited by nobodyhere; 10-23-15 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-24-15, 06:49 AM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I am currently recovering from a very painful episode of leg pain caused by a cyst on my vertebrae, it was pushing into spinal cord at L4/L5. After trying chiropractic help and physical therapy to no avail an MRI was done and a two week wait for Medicare authority to have a Cordisone shot which reduced the pain within days, I am almost back to normal.
I also have advanced arthritis at that location that causes pain in the mornings. A couple Aleve help a lot, I have been using Aleve for years for my arthritic neck. I have had cervical Spondylitis for thirty years.
All through this I was able to bicycle with no pain, the only time I had pain relief.
I take it a day at a time and I'll deal with it if it occurs again, I'm not going to worry about it!
Old 10-25-15, 07:24 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Summer of 1969 I realized it was painful to turn my head to the right.
Wrestled-football-college wrestling-1968-1973- my "neck" hurt on and off "most" of the time
A soreness-constant-in my neck-about c5
periodically spasms- 1973-1998 or so-terrible-
took big doses of valium-pain killers-
Miserable
X- RAYs 1975 1991-looked horrible
In 1991 ortho. said "neck was physiologically fusing"-almost completely white-disc calcified-compressed-lotta lipping-spurs-
BAD for about 30 years-
About 1990 or so I started home cervical traction and applying "pepper cream"(quit bike riding in 1982-too painful-bent over pounding etc)
Roughly 1996 I noticed the pain-spasms-were "gone"
More or less same situation now
My guess
1) my neck continued to fuse
2) the home cervical traction-on bed-not doorway-helped
3)I haven't-don't move my head much-I pivot from the hips

I started riding again in 2000 when I noticed bikes now had BIG FAT TIRES- upright bars-and suspensions

My suggestion-for necks-
1)don't use drop bars-use BOLT UPRIGHT posture-1960's style bars
2)wide soft tires
3) suspension if needed-not CHEAPO suspension-get a 10 yo full suspension MTB if you ride on rought surface
4)Don't move-exercise -your head neck-forget that-
exercise is good-even light weight lifting-
but no exercises to "improve ROM"- or neck strenght-
if you twist your neck head-you will be "bumping against" various nerves-irritating them-spasms pain
5)avoid shocks-running etc-and very rough surfaces

Good luck-
PS ALeve-is the best of the bunch-NSAID- might have the best cardiac profile-in various reviews-(ignoring aspirin-which is probably safer)
There are reasons to think ALEVE-shouldn't be the safest NSAID-but various after the fact studies say it is the "safest" cardiac wise(least likely to "cause" an MI)
Old 10-25-15, 01:33 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I was diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis (mostly L4-L5) early this past summer. My spine doc (who is a keen cyclist) recommended pain management over surgery for now. I get an injection every 4-6 months. So far it has worked. [fingers crossed]
He also told me my 2015 Cannondale SuperSix EVO carbon was too harsh on my back and suggested getting a better bike. I sold the 2015 and picked up a 2014 demo bike - a Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod Team bike. Awesome ride and very comfortable. He said leaning over the bars is what my lower back needs. It stretches out the spine so the nerves aren't "squeezed". He said a so-called comfort bike/hybrid (sitting upright) is exactly what I don't need.
My new bike is VERY comfortable.
He also suggested getting an inversion table. It is really relaxing.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 10-26-15 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-25-15, 02:51 PM
Gonemad

Bikes: '05 Klein Reve V, '96 Stump Jumper M2, Ancient Ex-Mt. Beater

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Cool! Can you tell us what she did for/with/to you? Particular exercises or what?
The major thing was improving mobility in my neck, upper back and shoulders. She did almost chiropractic like treatments in these areas. Also stretches and exercises were prescribed to both loosen and strengthen these areas. I was in for 8 treatments, spaced 1 and later 2 weeks apart. For the final visit, she declared there was nothing more that she could add to my recovery, but that was in the positive sense that we'd tackled my situation to the point of maintenance. In case anyone is interested, if you are a patient of the Sunnyvale Medical Clinic in CA, USA, definitely ask for L.A. (that is what she goes by) if you need PT. All I can add is that everyone is different and fortunately I was lucky.

Last edited by Gonemad; 10-25-15 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-27-15, 01:16 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Everybody is different. 30 years of various types of back issues for me. I'm very glad I refused surgery numerous times --mainly because they were too anxious and I was able to find other solutions (and in all cases the surgery they advocated would have been a mistake since the solutions involved other areas). Chiropractic, pain injections, PT (in that order) have been the primary fixes for me. And, in general, I just keep moving. At 62 I can still walk and carry for 36 holes of golf, and I can do 100 mile bike days if I've prepped sufficiently. But I've had to work hard figuring out and solving back issues all along. Never give up.
Old 10-28-15, 06:35 AM
GaryPitts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
Everybody is different. 30 years of various types of back issues for me. I'm very glad I refused surgery numerous times --mainly because they were too anxious and I was able to find other solutions (and in all cases the surgery they advocated would have been a mistake since the solutions involved other areas). Chiropractic, pain injections, PT (in that order) have been the primary fixes for me. And, in general, I just keep moving. At 62 I can still walk and carry for 36 holes of golf, and I can do 100 mile bike days if I've prepped sufficiently. But I've had to work hard figuring out and solving back issues all along. Never give up.
What kind of pain injections and how long does that last???
Old 10-28-15, 07:55 AM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have neck issues that can sideline me up to a week or so at a time. I find that sitting more erect helps alot. I changed the stem on my specialized crosstrail to achieve a more erect posture. Also, a front suspension is a must. Any jolt to the front wheel gets communicated to my neck instantly. The other bike fix I made was to get a fat gel saddle with elastomer type springs. This was a huge sacrifice for me, but it has helped tremendously. Good luck.
Old 10-28-15, 08:25 AM
PaulineMi

Bikes: Giant Suede DX with Bionx Battery Assist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My history...Degenerative disk issues, spondylisthesis, stenosis, horrific spasms. Also pain, tingling and numbness mostly on the entire mid to lower left side...related to the sciatic nerve. My arm and hand symptoms are caused by cervical nerve involvement. Similar to dbg I've avoided surgery and narcotics opting instead for PT, pain injections and rhizotomies on the advice of my wonderful pain clinic doc.

I used to tough it out until I couldn't. My advice is see if you can find an understanding doc at a pain clinic. Explain your goals and that a conservative treatment protocol is what you're after (if that is your preference). I went through some bouts of depression thinking I'd be done with outdoor activities and limited to competitive crocheting. I'm 67....the pain injections last few months now, rhizotomy (nerve "burning") about six months. Supplemental home care consists of taking a very high dose of ibuprofen and applying lidocaine patches to sources of the pain along the spine.

Best of luck to you. I'm happy to say I ride my cute blue bike just about every day. If I try to impress myself by not using the battery assist uphill or against the wind my sciatica reminds me to quit doing that. I'd love a sleek road bike or even a hybrid but am just happy to be out and about. Hopefully you will find a solution that works best for you.