Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-17, 01:19 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wktmeow
Lingering expectations from my old power meter are still screwing me up in terms of pacing and motivation, I suspect.
This is one reason (a key one) why I recommend that people buy meters that can be calibrated at home. When people say "accuracy doesn't matter, only consistency matters," they miss the point.

Months and years of seeing incorrect numbers (esp if they are inflated) messes with you mentally.

Why don't you calibrate that new meter? Most Quarqs I've used or serviced differed from factory calibration either at the outset or after a short period of training; it could be that yours is reading low (though in my experience, they mostly reported on the high side).

Also, for those type of efforts, consider covering up the power. Power numbers can sometimes be a negative feedback loop, and what you wanted to achieve was a 20' maximal effort after your 1' effort (I assume, otherwise why do it?). It doesn't matter *during* the test if that 20' # is 200, 300 or 400 watts -- what matters is that it was maximal based on RPE.
Old 04-30-17, 07:35 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I have this mental conversation a couple of times a year, at least.

Keep pushing. Takes just one good ride/race to turn it all around.
Big time +1. I had a Tuesday Worlds where I struggled and then got dropped on the tough 5 min climb, where I was expecting to hang with the tough guys. It really put me in the question-everything-funk. I then had a decent result this weekend and I was back to "normal".
Old 04-30-17, 07:38 AM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heal up scheibo. Good to hear you only are going to have a few rough nights sleep instead of a lengthy recovery.
Old 04-30-17, 08:13 AM
johnybutts

Bikes: Type of horse.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tetonrider
This is one reason (a key one) why I recommend that people buy meters that can be calibrated at home. When people say "accuracy doesn't matter, only consistency matters," they miss the point.

Months and years of seeing incorrect numbers (esp if they are inflated) messes with you mentally.

Why don't you calibrate that new meter? Most Quarqs I've used or serviced differed from factory calibration either at the outset or after a short period of training; it could be that yours is reading low (though in my experience, they mostly reported on the high side).

Also, for those type of efforts, consider covering up the power. Power numbers can sometimes be a negative feedback loop, and what you wanted to achieve was a 20' maximal effort after your 1' effort (I assume, otherwise why do it?). It doesn't matter *during* the test if that 20' # is 200, 300 or 400 watts -- what matters is that it was maximal based on RPE.

I just got a Kickr to replace an old fluid trainer. Previously power came from my SRM but now using the kickr power. Unsurprisingly there's a very depressing difference in those numbers. Somehow I was hoping it'd go the other way.

Now I've got to reset the ol' FTP and keep on plugging away.
Old 04-30-17, 08:16 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Why don't you keep using the SRM power?
Old 04-30-17, 08:29 AM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or more to point, send the SRM in to be factory calibrated. Gold standard is not a term applied to the KICKR's power measuring functionality insomuch as SRM makes lab quality equipment that has long defined the term.
Old 04-30-17, 08:32 AM
johnybutts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by miyata man
Or more to point, send the SRM in to be factory calibrated. Gold standard is not a term applied to the KICKR's power measuring functionality insomuch as SRM makes lab quality equipment that has long defined the term.
Originally Posted by PepeM
Why don't you keep using the SRM power?

I guess I could. My thinking was that the Kickr is new and recently factory calibrated, while the SRM is probably 7 years old and been through all sorts of ****e. I'm not married to either. Can the Kickr do ERG mode using the SRM's power?
Old 04-30-17, 08:34 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by johnybutts
Can the Kickr do ERG mode using the SRM's power?
Depends on the software you use. Doesn't work that well IME. Then again, I really don't like ERG mode.
Old 04-30-17, 09:00 AM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's worth pointing out the second element in reporting the numbers of all these metrics is equally important. The software/computer being fed raw numbers and doing all the complex calculations like smoothing and discarding out of range reporting.
Old 04-30-17, 11:38 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts

I have some real paranoia about my numbers reading high. Hoping for this reason to replace the Stages when cashflow allows.
Old 04-30-17, 01:32 PM
johnybutts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
almost 3 hours of riding last week - big work assignment screwed me up.
almost 7 hours this week - largest week so far this year.

Still just aiming for consistency and weight loss.
Old 04-30-17, 01:37 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
My kickr inflates power values. Not accurate at all.
Old 04-30-17, 01:46 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
The Kickr is well-known for significant over-reporting of power.
Old 04-30-17, 02:32 PM
johnybutts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like I need to use the SRM for my power output. I'll have to see how that works with the feedback modes.
Old 04-30-17, 03:12 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
What does johnybutts even mean??

Actually I'm not sure what half y'alls names mean, but I'm extra curious about a name ending with "butts"
Old 04-30-17, 08:38 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nuts ... did a couple hours of hills this AM and about a mile from home while accelerating from a stop light I tweaked my back. Was just accelerating while seated and bam, felt like I got hit with a bat. Have been laying on the floor since.
Old 04-30-17, 10:59 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
100 miles today, with 8k feet of climbing. Solo.

This year has had a slow start to training/racing, so I decided to kick off 'winter training in the spring' today with a big ride. Normally I'd avoid the hills, but wanted to see the ocean - it was worth it.

On a power-related note, there was none. My PT wheel is collecting dust, just using HR & cadence/speed now. TrainingPeaks does "hrTSS" which is a TSS estimate based off of HR - I think it was a little high but overall I'm happy with it, and feel like I'm rolling on better bearings than the PT wheel, so I must be faster right??

my race videos
Old 04-30-17, 11:24 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Normally I'd avoid the hills, but wanted to see the ocean - it was worth it.
Its always worth it. That's how I got introduced to road riding and absolutely love it
Old 04-30-17, 11:52 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnybutts
I just got a Kickr to replace an old fluid trainer. Previously power came from my SRM but now using the kickr power. Unsurprisingly there's a very depressing difference in those numbers. Somehow I was hoping it'd go the other way.

Now I've got to reset the ol' FTP and keep on plugging away.
The Kickrs that I've seen have been, well, less than accurate. Best to control them with a direct-measurement power meter, if you can -- even the ones that aren't known for great accuracy usually surpass the Kickr.
Old 05-01-17, 06:41 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
2:15, 110tss last night at 9pm, powered through the tiredness that usually sets in at that time.
Old 05-01-17, 12:20 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
So my 5 min max power has been within 4 watts of itself each year for the last 3 years. I thought I would have made some significant improvement this year after doing a ton of vo2 max work (the traditional 115-120% stuff) over the winter and all, but nope. Still within 2 watts of all time best last year.

Trying a new variation now in which you basically try for 100% vo2 max instead of just a percentage of ftp. For this, I pretty much target 5 min power (=127% ftp) for 3-4mins with equal rests and try to do about 10+ total minutes of efforts. It sucked. I did 3.5 mins, 3:15, then blew up after 2.5 mins on the last one (was trying for 3). Hoping it's just a case of "first time always sucks" and I can do a 4/3.5/3 min thing next time. And I hope it actually increases my 3-5 min power. Because, damn, those vo2 max intervals I did all the time messed with my head by the end and they seem to have done wonders for my 10-20+ min power but missed all the shorter stuff.

Have about 18 million crits coming up in the next two months. Need to up the game soon.
Old 05-01-17, 12:21 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
100 miles today, with 8k feet of climbing. Solo.
Dang.

That sounds awesome.
Old 05-01-17, 12:51 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Appreciate the encouragement/reassurance guys. I'm working on my mental state and adjusting my expectations to be more in line with reality, and will keep pressing forward!

I could do that, there is a calibration procedure, but I don't have any accurate enough scale/weight, and wouldn't really trust myself to do it right. It's alright, I expected it to read lower than the Stages anyway, so I don't suspect it's actually reading lower than it should be. I think it was just a combination of mismanaged expectations, combined with a bad testing scenario, and some low self esteem thrown in just for fun.

I'd always had luck with starting off at my previous test result (assuming I was expecting a slight improvement over the previous one), and then re-evaluating at 5 minutes in and bumping the pace a little if I can. I think due to the heat and thirst and 1 minute test prior, I started sputtering way earlier than usual (like the power started dipping and then jumping back up, having to constantly tell myself to pedal harder). That usually happens to me for the last 5 minutes or so. Maybe if I'd had the average power for the interval up on the screen I would have been OK, because it was higher than I thought I'd been doing anyhow. Thought I was barely hitting 305, but it was actually 315 for the 5 mins, and I was supposed to be targeting 305-310.

I've done multiple tests in one ride before, but never in hot/dry conditions. Lingering nausea after the 1 min should have tipped me off.

@scheibo hope you heal up quick!
Old 05-01-17, 12:56 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I do this. In fact, there is always a piece of blue painters tape on the bottom side of my PC8, so I can cover the screen when racing or doing hard intervals for time. I have definitely found I perform better on maximal efforts when I am not seeing my power data.
Old 05-01-17, 02:49 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Dang.

That sounds awesome.
it's too nice out here, stay away!

Highway 1 - this was a hard one to get; fast downhill, windy af, but totally worth it.

Heading east back over the Santa Cruz mountains:

my race videos

Last edited by globecanvas; 05-01-17 at 06:11 PM. Reason: resized massive images

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.