Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi.. info?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi.. info?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-19, 09:36 PM
jerman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bianchi.. info?

Hello, I just bought this bike.
I was told this was a 1999 frame and fork that was purchased and built up with Record and Chorus.
It is labelled reparto corso, but my guess is it was made in Taiwan.
Anyone be able to weigh in with any info please? TIA...
jerry
Old 01-13-19, 09:53 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by jerman
I was told this was a 1999 frame and fork that was purchased and built up with Record and Chorus.
jerry
Everything you say seems to match the pics pretty well. Looks like a really nice bike. Go ride it!
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 01-13-19, 09:56 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Don't know anything about the Bianchi, but I do know, you got a very very nice version (looks to be the original non-reissued, perforated) of the Rolls saddle on it!
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)

Last edited by Chombi1; 01-13-19 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-13-19, 09:59 PM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 55 Posts

jerry
Did you see any writing on the fork steerer? Maybe the Columbus Dove in an oval? I had a 96 that was English threads but a very nice columbus tubing model made in Italy, and a very similar Columbus fork.
Old 01-13-19, 10:33 PM
jerman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you! It is in incredible shape. The fellow at the shop said this guy made it his personal project and by the items used to assemble and the looks of the finished product, I believe it.
It is virtually immaculate, in incredible shape. And what a test ride, went for 5 minutes and 30 minutes later came back as it was so butter smooth and had such fun shifting Campy (first time for me).. I just had to keep riding.

The stem says 3T and 'status' on it, you can see it on the first pic. The bar is a 3T also. That's all I remember as it is still at the bike shop.
Old 01-14-19, 06:55 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
jerry
Good Morning, sorry I missed your email yesterday. Where are you and the bike located?

I am pretty sure that beautiful Thron frame was made in Italy. For some reason Bianchi switched to English BB in the early '90s. I'd have to double check but I think my '90 Proto is english thread. Anyway I think this frame dates to around '94, or at least that is where I see Thron frames in any Bianchi USA catalog. However I don't see frames only listed just a Veloce, Veloce group, and Giro, Stratos group, model with the name proudly displayed on the TT. Your bike lacking the model name and having a Bianchi decal there would mean it was likely a frame only offering.

Regardless of it's actual age it looks like a phenomenal bike and as you've a fantastic ride.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-14-19, 07:34 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Isn't that a "Made in Italy" sticker at the bottom of the seat tube? Besides, I can't imagine a Taiwanese made bike using Columbus tubing, although I could be wrong on that.

She's a real beauty. Looks fast standing still. Enjoy the ride.
Old 01-14-19, 08:58 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Thron was Columbus' economical, butted tubeset, introduced for the 1994 model year. Basically, it took over from Cromor and both used Columbus' lowest grade CrMo alloy. As such, it was intended for mass produced, mid-range frames targeted at amateur racers. However, unlike Cromor it was available in several gauges, both standard and oversize diameters (including Megatube) and designed for both lugged and TIG construction. Consequently, manufacturers could produce a wide configuration of Thron frames.

The subject frame is almost certainly Italian manufactured, though probably not by Reparto Corse. By this time the Reparto Corse decal was basically a marketing tool. The frame may have been designed by Reparto Corse but the higher volume, mid-range frames with Thron would have taxed the department's capacity.

I agree that the frame is likely 1994, though it may have been purchased in 1999. 1994 is the only year for Thron frames in my Bianchi literature. The post 1994 mid-range models, for which I have information, are spec'd with Dedalo or Dedacciai tubesets. The serial number may provide a further evidence of the year.
Old 01-15-19, 11:52 PM
jerman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thank you all for the friendly replies! I do appreciate it!
It is so cool it's a '94 and was made it Italy! I could not have asked for a more perfect bike that I was hoping to get.
Yes, the saddle is very nice. I may change it when I ride in order to preserve it.
I am about 45 minutes south of Dallas in Milford, TX.
The bike shop is in Waxahachie, and that's where the bike was, but the guy who owned it lives in Italy, TX, about 5 minutes up the road from me.
The serial number is four digits but is preceded by what looks like two small "c's", and then has a small backwards "c" at the end of it.
It is: cc 17XX > (except the '>' is a small backwards 'c')
Needless to say I am very excited, especially after being able to get some good info and history.
Thank you for being such a wonderful resource!
jerry
Old 01-17-19, 10:26 PM
jerman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With a serial number of cc 17XX then a backwards 'c', does that give anymore info on the bike?
Do those small 'c's' have any meaning or designation?

Any links or suggestions how to obtain that Bianchi tape for the handlebar?
Thanks!
Old 01-19-19, 09:42 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
With a serial number of cc 17XX then a backwards 'c', does that give anymore info on the bike?
Do those small 'c's' have any meaning or designation?

Any links or suggestions how to obtain that Bianchi tape for the handlebar?
Thanks!
Do you mean Celeste colored tape? I personally wouldn't use Celeste on that bike, unless I was changing the cables, bottle cages and maybe toe straps. I think Celeste bar tape would look really out of place. The blue looks nice but if you really want to change I'd go with white or a silver color.

If you don't mind post some pics and the info about your bike on these threads for other to reference.

T-Mars serial number thread https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...cation-43.html

And the 'show off your Bianchi' thread, https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...thread-39.html

OH I forgot, Celeste handlebar tape is all over the internet. I like the Cinelli tape https://www.amazon.com/Cinelli-Cork-...ghydr-20&psc=1

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 01-19-19 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-19-19, 12:02 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
I've been seeing a blue Bianchi with Celeste tape and saddle in my area. I think it looks good. I will try to get a pic.
Old 01-19-19, 07:37 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Thron tubing was still being used at the end of the 90s.
Marin had Billato building Thron frames in '98&'99.
And it was regularly used in mixed tubesets as chainstays, for it's vibration damping qualities.