Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

NBD - Too Much Trek - Domane SLR UDi2 - ICON "Molten Marble"

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

NBD - Too Much Trek - Domane SLR UDi2 - ICON "Molten Marble"

Old 11-21-19, 12:52 PM
swag72

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 4 Posts
I have a 2020 Domane model that I love. I have found it to be a much more comfortable ride than the Specialized Roubaix I was riding before.

Likes For swag72:
Old 11-22-19, 08:39 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist

2020 Trek Domane SLR7, with Ultegra Di2, and the Project ONE ICON "Molten Marble" paint scheme. -

Head over to Morvelo.. black friday sale on some kit that you just have to wear with this bike:

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 11-23-19, 08:35 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Scania123
Your build is absolutely brilliant. How long did you have to wait for your H1.5 Domane? I'm thinking about going a bit crazy in Project One as well. Might go for the Aeolus 5 TLR instead of the stock wheels. Are you disappointed in the Bontrager wheels or is there any specific reason why you changed the wheels?
Before you purchase wheels do a little research.

Here are some wheel weights.

Bontrager Paradigm Comp 1685 grams (Aluminum stock rims)
Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3 TLR 1600 grams
Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V TLR 1575 grams.
Bontrager XXX 2 1380 grams.
Bontrager XXX 4 1455 grams

A pair of BNIB Aeolus Pro 3's came up at a great price so I purchased them. Then I started looking at weight difference and it was only 85 grams. That is not a big enough weight difference to justify the cost. So now I am thinking the Bontrager XXX 2's at 1380 grams. Low profile, fits 28 mm tires and can use non tubeless tires. Plus a weight savings of 305 grams. Lots of good choices when you decide to build your bike. Wheels with different profile heights, weights, and widths all can be had from Bontrager.

To the OP congratulations on your new bike, it looks great.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 11-23-19, 03:16 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
As the happy owner of Pro 3...if your bike can accommodate a 3V I would consider going that route. The hub has decreased angle of engagement (it actually sounds like the DT Swiss 54T ratchet) vs the Pro 3 has the traditional 3 pawl hub. Their MSRPs are pretty much the same.

If you can swing the XXXs those will be Bontrager's best offerings...but at that price you have plenty of other options like ENVE, Black Inc., Zipp, etc. I have the SES 5.6 and Black Inc Thirties (both disc brake variants) and I prefer both on my road bikes to the Pro 3 (which is now on my gravel bike). If I could trade in the 3 for the 3V I would.
Old 11-25-19, 05:29 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Head over to Morvelo.. black friday sale on some kit that you just have to wear with this bike:

That is epic looking. I might have to snag this. Thanks!
Old 11-25-19, 05:41 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by keno999
Just noticed the MISSION FIRST lettering. I spent my whole career with that as a guiding principle for the organizations I worked for. Thanks.
Happy to see someone who appreciates that. I imagine a lot of people would find it tacky and odd to have that there instead of my name. That statement however, means a lot to me, and it just made sense to put it there. Yea, I haven't said those words out loud for a few years now...but I always want to remember what they represent. Doesn't matter if it's downrange, or getting some miles on the bike...it's a principle that can apply to everything in life.

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
OP, what brakes are you running?
Originally Posted by CarloM
Those look like Ultegra rotors as part of a complete Ultegra drivetrain. Very sleek looking!
Yea, Ultegra Di2, with the 8070 hydraulic disc setup.

Originally Posted by jadocs
Beautiful bike OP! You got it right when you said you have to go with what fits. Having said that please don't raise your saddle if you're doing it just for looks. What matters is your position being optimized.
+1 on fit and optimized position. A few weeks ago I matched my saddle position (with relation to my crank spindle) on my S3 to my TCR (which was pro-fit to me). That involved moving the saddle forward about1cm. But what a difference! Not just in comfort, but whereas I had sort of plateau'd according to Strava (rarely setting PRs or 2nd/3rd medals on segments), the next dozen rides or so suddenly saw the return of those achievements in a significant way!
Thanks! Hoping to get lots of training on her over the next few months, as I have some goals for next year!
Likes For N00b_Cyclist:
Old 11-28-19, 02:11 PM
Smokinbbl

Bikes: SuperSix

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
I have the 2020 SL 7. I love it! I have some 38c gravel tires on and ride that thing everywhere!!!

Old 11-28-19, 03:46 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinbbl
I have the 2020 SL 7. I love it! I have some 38c gravel tires on and ride that thing everywhere!!!

beautiful photo, enjoy and ride safe!
Old 11-28-19, 10:52 PM
Smokinbbl

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by robbyville
beautiful photo, enjoy and ride safe!

thank you!!
Old 11-29-19, 12:40 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Some Dura Ace rotors would really complete that all black look
Likes For CarloM:
Old 11-29-19, 10:26 AM
keno999

Bikes: 2020 Trek Domane SL5 / Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinbbl

Nice!
Old 11-29-19, 12:21 PM
Smokinbbl

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Thanks everyone.
Old 11-29-19, 12:49 PM
CarloM

Just to give you an idea of the look of the DA rotors on an all black bike (sorry about the poor quality night photo, and not staging the cranks at 3 and 9 o'clock and valves at 6 o'clock was just out on my dinner ride)...

Likes For CarloM:
Old 11-29-19, 03:37 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
105 w/ Charcoal Frame--Same Concept

Old 11-29-19, 04:44 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Just to give you an idea of the look of the DA rotors on an all black bike (sorry about the poor quality night photo, and not staging the cranks at 3 and 9 o'clock and valves at 6 o'clock was just out on my dinner ride)...

Likes For SkepticalOne:
Old 01-03-20, 07:57 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogus
This pic shows the fade better. I didn't realize it darken that much, but was very happy to find it did so when it arrived. Happy with how it looks. A bit harder to keep it looking clean compared to my matte black Defy as the dust really stands out on black gloss paint.

Well, I was so jealous of you guys I ended up ordering an SLR 7 like Rogus' today. As much as I like N00b_Cyclist's Molten Marble the price was just too much for me to justify. When I saw Rogus' photos of his bike I decided I liked that color combo very much so ended up going that route. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my SL 6 but I really wanted a Di2 bike. I'm not getting any younger so I decided I might as well go for it so I can enjoy it instead of waiting.
Likes For August West:
Old 01-03-20, 09:13 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by August West
Well, I was so jealous of you guys I ended up ordering an SLR 7 like Rogus' today. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my SL 6 but I really wanted a Di2 bike. I'm not getting any younger so I decided I might as well go for it so I can enjoy it instead of waiting.
Do you have any idea how many people "hate" you at this site?
Old 01-04-20, 10:38 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
Sweet bike OP! Love the color scheme.
I’m with you as far as getting started with the clipless pedals (and the Domane... although mine is a SL5... not as nice as yours
Have fun learning how to clip in and out!
Looks like you have some great scenery to take in during your rides (which I’m finding out is half the fun of cycling)
Old 01-25-20, 08:50 PM
Rogus

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Well, I was so jealous of you guys I ended up ordering an SLR 7 like Rogus' today. As much as I like N00b_Cyclist's Molten Marble the price was just too much for me to justify. When I saw Rogus' photos of his bike I decided I liked that color combo very much so ended up going that route. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my SL 6 but I really wanted a Di2 bike. I'm not getting any younger so I decided I might as well go for it so I can enjoy it instead of waiting.
Do you have the new bike yet?
Old 01-26-20, 02:04 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogus
Do you have the new bike yet?
I ended up having a change of plans. After I placed my order for the SLR 7 my I received a coupon from Trek for a discount on a Project One. Then my dealer threw in a little bit more so I decided to cancel that order go with my #1 choice, Molten Marble like the OP's bike. It was still more money but not what the website shows. I'm not getting any younger so I decided to get what I really wanted and enjoy it while I can.

Trek estimated 20 days to ship so I'm hoping it will get to my dealer by the first week in Feb. or the week after. Can't hardly wait. Picked up an Ion 200 RT/Flare RT light set to replace my current lights that are much larger and heavier. They look a lot more sleek with the Ion 200 RT mounted under my K-Edge combo mount and when the bike gets here I will be able to mount the Flare RT directly to the set post knuckle and lose my saddle bag completely which will be nice.

Likes For August West:
Old 01-26-20, 04:21 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

I ended up having a change of plans. After I placed my order for the SLR 7 my I received a coupon from Trek for a discount on a Project One. Then my dealer threw in a little bit more so I decided to cancel that order go with my #1 choice, Molten Marble like the OP's bike. It was still more money but not what the website shows. I'm not getting any younger so I decided to get what I really wanted and enjoy it while I can.

Trek estimated 20 days to ship so I'm hoping it will get to my dealer by the first week in Feb. or the week after. Can't hardly wait. Picked up an Ion 200 RT/Flare RT light set to replace my current lights that are much larger and heavier. They look a lot more sleek with the Ion 200 RT mounted under my K-Edge combo mount and when the bike gets here I will be able to mount the Flare RT directly to the set post knuckle and lose my saddle bag completely which will be nice.
Nicely done! Beauty spec! ​​​​​
Old 01-26-20, 04:25 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I like a lot of what the Domane offers. One question though, I looked up the SL6 vs SL7, which have list price difference of $2200? Looks like the wheelset difference adds $800, and Di2 Ultegra (vs. Std Ultegra) is adding the other $1400?

Is the smart move to go SL6 and just get a Di2 upgrade kit, and pick whatever wheels you like? And sell the take-offs..
Old 01-26-20, 04:36 PM
SkepticalOne

I like a lot of what the Domane offers. One question though, I looked up the SL6 vs SL7, which have list price difference of $2200? Looks like the wheelset difference adds $800, and Di2 Ultegra (vs. Std Ultegra) is adding the other $1400?

Is the smart move to go SL6 and just get a Di2 upgrade kit, and pick whatever wheels you like? And sell the take-offs..

Could very well be the way to go for sure. Note however that those take-offs are pretty hard to beat. A fun little torture test:

Old 01-26-20, 04:54 PM
Rogus

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I decided to cancel that order go with my #1 choice, Molten Marble like the OP's bike...I decided to get what I really wanted and enjoy it while I can.
Glad it worked out for you to get your color choice. I suspect liking the looks of what one rides is important to most.
Old 01-26-20, 05:08 PM
Rogus

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
It wouldn't be for me. I've upgraded a bike to Di2 and it wasn't the same as the two bikes I've purchased with from the factory installations. Always had issues with rattling that I, and the bike shop spent hours, trying to remedy. Maybe that's unusual, but a noisy bike drives me crazy and I wouldn't take chance. Now if you're talking an upgrade to SRAM wireless, it's a different story. I prefer Di2, but you may feel different.

I agree with the other post that the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V are a very good wheelset. I haven't found resale of take offs of stock wheelsets to bring in much in return in the low to mid range category.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.