Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

WTB Byway on WTB KOM rims setup

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-20, 01:03 AM
rivfranxco

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, Surly Straggler, Marin Pinemountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have this setup for months now on my Surly Midnight Special bike. I find it hard to install and take off the brand new WTB Byway tires on WTB KOM rims (non tubeless setup) and now I'm a bit paranoid of getting flat because of this!

Is there any way that I could soften the tire's bead so that it will be easy for me to take off the tires whenever I get flat? I don't prefer to have it tubeless because I'm planning to change tires from time to time depending on route.
Old 01-27-20, 05:56 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
As with any tubeless compatible rim, there is a bead shelf where the tire bead fits tightly and a deep center channel. The tire bead needs to be unseated and pushed into the center channel all the way around (or at least opposite of the area you are trying to remove) in order to make it easier to remove the tire from the rim. The same thing applies when installing the tire.
Old 01-27-20, 09:52 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I'd recommend going tubeless and carrying a tubeless plug kit. Get a second wheelset for your other tyres
Old 01-27-20, 09:53 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
dsaul is right.

For what it is worth - tubeless tires are definitely not worth the hassle if running tubes on them. (Well, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't). But it is so, so much easier to change tires with a traditional bead than with a tubeless bead.

Tubeless beads are often too stiff, too tight and too wide for what you need if you are running tubes. Same goes for many tubeless compatible wheels which again are going to rely on a very tight bead seat.
Old 01-28-20, 10:47 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
OP, no there is not, to answer your question. Practice in your garage to build up your thumb muscles