Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon EEZZ

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Dahon EEZZ

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-19, 01:22 AM
pierro78

Bikes: 2019 Dahon K3 and an old Road Bicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dahon is supposed to realease the 2019 QIX D3 with 16 inches wheels soon ( see bikefolded web site ) may be it's going to replace the EEZZ D3 ??
Maybe it's targeted to US market and it might be better for taller persons than the EEZZ D3 ??
Old 03-11-19, 06:53 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by pierro78
Would you think they have improved the gearing span ?
It doesn't look like it, from the pictures and specs I've seen.

Dahon seems enamored with this three speed derailleur set up. Now, all gearing systems involve some compromise of design. With only three gears, the designer has to trade off step size vs. total range. For the last 100 years or so, the common set up among three-speed hub manufacturers was steps of 30~35% and an overall range of ~180%.

Dahon could mimic this with their three-speed derailleur system by fitting, say, 9-12-16T cogs. Instead, they've gone with finer steps of 18~22% (9-11-13T) and an overall range of only ~144%. As near as I can tell, all their three speed derailleur models (EEZZ D3, K3, Qiz D3, Dove D3, etx.) use these narrow range cogs on proprietary, narrow OLD hubs.

Last edited by tcs; 03-11-19 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-11-19, 06:58 AM
tcs
Palmer

BTW, the USA street price for the EEZZ D3 is down to $600 w/ free shipping.
Old 03-12-19, 06:36 AM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
It doesn't look like it, from the pictures and specs I've seen.

Dahon seems enamored with this three speed derailleur set up. Now, all gearing systems involve some compromise of design. With only three gears, the designer has to trade off step size vs. total range. For the last 100 years or so, the common set up among three-speed hub manufacturers was steps of 30~35% and an overall range of ~180%.

Dahon could mimic this with their three-speed derailleur system by fitting, say, 9-12-16T cogs. Instead, they've gone with finer steps of 18~22% (9-11-13T) and an overall range of only ~144%. As near as I can tell, all their three speed derailleur models (EEZZ D3, K3, Qiz D3, Dove D3, etx.) use these narrow range cogs on proprietary, narrow OLD hubs.
FYI the Dahon K3 has a three speed rear cassette with 9T, 13T, 17T cogs.
https://www.dahon.jp/2019/product/bike/k3.html
Likes For Kabuto:
Old 03-12-19, 12:04 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by jonmanjiro
FYI the Dahon K3 has a three speed rear cassette with 9T, 13T, 17T cogs.l

Hmph! These aren't intended to be long distance bikes (although some rider somewhere...), but I really think the majority of riders will benefit from this wider range.

The 9, 11, 13 set is really just the first three cogs of the Shimano Capreo nine speed. I wonder if now that Dahon has created a wider 3-speed cassette to fit the special hub they'll apply it to more of their 3-spd derailleur bikes?

Last edited by tcs; 03-12-19 at 12:16 PM.
Likes For tcs:
Old 03-16-19, 09:48 PM
nollo9871

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Super Leggera, 1986 Team Fuji, 1988 Trek 7000

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I've ridden an EEZZ in NYC for more than a year already, and it still rides great. my go-to bike to get around shopping and traveling. The only downside is that some of the parts have gotten rusty, mainly wherever there is chrome. But nevertheless a solid bike
Likes For nollo9871:
Old 03-17-19, 03:30 AM
pierro78

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nollo9871
I've ridden an EEZZ in NYC for more than a year already, and it still rides great. my go-to bike to get around shopping and traveling. The only downside is that some of the parts have gotten rusty, mainly wherever there is chrome. But nevertheless a solid bike
Thank you so much for the feedback from your real experience !
May I ask which size/weight you are ? (I am 178cm and 75kg and wondering if the eezz might be too small and not strong enough for me ...)
Old 03-17-19, 05:28 AM
nollo9871

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Super Leggera, 1986 Team Fuji, 1988 Trek 7000

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Shorter and slightly heavier than you are, but it can comfortably take your weight. You're just a few inches taller than I am, so I don't know how you'd feel riding 16-inch wheels. I have friends who are above 6 feet and they ride Bromptons just fine.It might be a matter of adjusting the seatpost, and the seatpost on the EEZZ is lengthy
Likes For nollo9871:
Old 04-22-19, 07:27 PM
Pahana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
My first week riding EEZZ D3 was great. The bike seems like it was made for me. Being short helps and having hills to climb also but I must say for a tall person on flat roads this is not for you. The gears are too low for flat rides and I'm not sure who designed a bike like this but if you live in a hilly area it works. What I have noticed is you need to lean into a turn because of the short wheelbase and small wheels. It's like riding a scooter where you lean and turn the handlebar at the same time. I'm getting used to the handling but there is a learning curve to ride this bike. Also there's a learning curve to the fold and you need to pay attention as you fold it in. The unfolding is easy and no problem but if you're interested in a quick fold look elsewhere. Sure you can fold it fast but take the chance of doing damage to the frame and fork. I bought it because I need to carry the bike up and down stairs and it's super lite. I own a 2 speed Ti Brompton but this feels lighter in weight or the same . Some of my work areas I can not take the bike inside and didn't want to leave the Brompton outside . At the new pricing of these bikes it is a good deal. I can recommend this bike to anyone looking for a lite weight folding bike who is not too tall. I'm not sure if the gearing can be changed but I think not. If higher gear ratio is your thing then look to the Curve i3 . I hope this helps anyone thinking of purchasing this bike .
Likes For Pahana:
Old 05-16-19, 12:35 PM
bee-man

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I really like the looks and size of this bike, but the lack of reviews, support, and popularity for this bike leaves me concerned. I'm already stretched at $800 shipped, but a part of me feels like I should just buy once and cry once for the Brompton. Anyone else have any long term experience with the EEZZ D3?
Likes For bee-man:
Old 05-17-19, 05:11 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by bee-man
I'm already stretched at $800 shipped...
Don't know where in the world you are, but: $669, free shipping @ ThorUSA.com
Old 05-17-19, 05:51 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by bee-man
I really like the looks and size of this bike, but the lack of reviews, support, and popularity for this bike leaves me concerned. I'm already stretched at $800 shipped, but a part of me feels like I should just buy once and cry once for the Brompton. Anyone else have any long term experience with the EEZZ D3?

brompton is very nice. its also fully explored in many ways and have mods and solutions for every possible need.
eezz d3 is for shorter oriental person, be aware of frame size, seatpost size and very short reach.

i mylself and my wife brought and sold 5 bikes before reach to brompton. if we go straight we gona save many hassle and money
Old 05-19-19, 11:08 PM
Pahana

After one month of commuting on the eezz d3 I have to say that it's just great for short rides. As a Brompton owner also I have to add that there is no comparison in the ride. The Brompton rides like a full size bike but slower. The eezz d3 has a short wheelbase and going down hill at speed the bike becomes unstable. It's not dangerous but you have to pay attention. If you want a lightweight bike to ride a few miles a day the eezz d3 is the way to go. If on the other hand your looking for a bike to ride all day then Brompton is worth every penny.
Likes For Pahana:
Old 12-15-19, 01:38 PM
pierro78

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pahana
After one month of commuting on the eezz d3 I have to say that it's just great for short rides. As a Brompton owner also I have to add that there is no comparison in the ride. The Brompton rides like a full size bike but slower. The eezz d3 has a short wheelbase and going down hill at speed the bike becomes unstable. It's not dangerous but you have to pay attention. If you want a lightweight bike to ride a few miles a day the eezz d3 is the way to go. If on the other hand your looking for a bike to ride all day then Brompton is worth every penny.
thank you for the mini review !!
may I ask how tall you are ?? (I am 1m78 and worried that the eezz d3 might be too small for me) thank you again !!
Old 12-15-19, 11:31 PM
Pahana

I wouldn't recommend this bike for anyone over 5 Ft 9 inches. I'm 5 ft 4 in and of course have no problem with this. The fold of the bike is terrible. After 9 months I still have to work at the folding process. It does unfold well but getting it down one needs to be careful. Personally I try not to fold it in so much. If I use it everyday I don't fold it down as it takes up very little space. For my use it's great because I have to carry the bike up and down stairs and the bike is so light. Also the wheelbase is so small I can bend it around the stair corner with no problems. Is this a great bike, no but it fits my life well and is much better than the Carryme I rode to work . The Carryme is a toy compared to the EEZZ D3. I will add that the Carryme is a solid bike and constructed better. My feeling is the EEZZ D3 won't fold and unfold thousands of times like a Brompton so I try not to ask it to do more than it can.
Likes For Pahana:
Old 02-22-20, 06:37 AM
pierro78

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I noticed the Qix D3 is NT$ 24,800 (about 750EUR) on a taiwanese (bikehome) website but as somebody said before it doesn't look like they improved the gear range when compared to the eezz d3 ??
(but the advantage over the eezz is that you can easily roll it folded)

The Dahon K3 has a better ( 9/13/17T ) gear range than the eezz (and can be found for about 700E on a german (bikepro) website), also its max saddle to pedal length is 860mm which is slightly better than the 850mm on the eezz for a 5ft 8.5inch person like me ... any opinion if it might be stronger than the eezz with its simpler fold ?? also any opinion on how it would ride with its small 14 inches wheels ?? would it be stable enough for the city with a few downhills ??

Thanks !

Last edited by pierro78; 02-22-20 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-22-20, 12:37 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
If you need more range, what about building a new rear wheel with an internal gear hub?
Old 02-22-20, 01:11 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Dahon k3 Plus kaa693 with 16" wheels has 9 speed cassette and disc brakes.
https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...isc-brake.html

https://www.dahon.com.hk/products/da...bike-kaa693-16
Likes For tomtomtom123:
Old 03-09-20, 03:55 AM
pierro78

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
just received my red K3 this morning before going to work ... just had time to unpack and unfold it ... I like it so far ... seems big enough for me (seems to fit me if I put the saddle post on the "3" mark ( so the other marks "2" "1" or "0" can still be used by a taller person)) ... can't wait to try it this afternoon

I even started a wiki page on cycling fandom to put down some notes : https://cycling.fandom.com/wiki/Dahon_K3
(I think I'll do a separate discussion for the K3 when I'll have time and I'll reference that new discussion in the wiki)

Last edited by pierro78; 06-05-20 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-09-20, 05:58 PM
pierro78

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
PS : here is the dedicated Dahon K3 discussion : https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bi...-dahon-k3.html (also added to the wiki)
PPS : I have 10 posts now - maybe I can post links and pictures now ?