Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Pizza rack or handlebar wrap?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 01:11 AM
al_x
Longtime reader...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

that is the question...my très opinionated gravel/bikepacking friend says handlebar wrap for weight savings. i have mostly on-road touring experience so am used to loaded front rack. thoughts?

sigh, 4 of 10 posts.
Old 06-15-20, 05:55 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by al_x
that is the question...my très opinionated gravel/bikepacking friend says handlebar wrap for weight savings. i have mostly on-road touring experience so am used to loaded front rack. thoughts?

sigh, 4 of 10 posts.
I don’t understand the question.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-15-20, 05:59 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Buy the pizza rack. Pizza within arms reach on long rides is awesome. If fact buy new bar tape too, the old bar tape may get pizza grease all over it.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 06-15-20, 08:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Is this really a choice between a $100 front rack and some $25 bar tape?

That makes no sense. They are totally different things.
New question- hot dogs or swingsets. Thoughts?
Old 06-15-20, 08:57 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
are you all the new to bikepacking in a Gravel section of the Forum you don't Comprehend he is asking between a front pizza rack and a handle bar roll bag?

However given the choice of pizza vs a wrap... I'll take a wrap, Damn I am hungry now!

Originally Posted by al_x

sigh, 4 of 10 posts.

Depends on what you are riding? If you have a 20 lb bike with 1500gram or less wheels on it do the handlebar bag/roll/wrap.

If you are already on a heavier bike, Screw it whats another bunch of weight for the pizza rack? Watch some of Russ's videos on PathlessPedaled. clipless vs flats heavy vs light, this bag seytup vs that....
I think at the end of the day it is really going to come down to what you like.

Personally my choice is gravel panniers front and rear. Keep it simple. So my only gripe on a pizza rack front box, is seeing my front tire where it meets the ground.
Old 06-15-20, 10:07 AM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
For a drop bar bike, I'd only compare harness-type handlebar roll setups. The typical MTB style, which is most of the ones on the market, are fussy to get on and off but are only accessible through the ends (which will be blocked by the drops and levers). With a harness, unclip unclip and the drybag falls free to pack and repack at your leisure. The Revelate Designs Pronghorn seems to be the weight weenie choice (134g!), I've got an Oveja Negra Front-End Loader (193g) and it works very well. Again you'll want to use a bag suitable for drop bars not flat bars - so instead of long and thin, wide and short for maximum volume between the drops. I'm liking the Sea To Summit eVAC 13L bag I've got - 69g and totally waterproof. Not as durable as traditional heavy vinyl Ortlieb grade bags, but doesn't need to be as it's protected between the bars.

The baseline advice here is first figure out how much you need to carry, and put together the system that makes the most sense. If you need to carry 80 lbs of bulky gear, you will end up with reinforced expedition-grade racks and heavy vinyl panniers front and rear (and a bike that can take it). If you can make do with 10-15lbs of minimal and compact gear, a handlebar roll, seat pack, and frame bag will be the lightest way to carry it. A pizza rack (you might find searching on 'porteur rack' to also be productive) weighs more than the handlebar roll but can carry more gear, more oddly shaped or bulky gear, is more flexible, and heavier. It'll also have more wheel flop and slow down steering response some, as it will situate the load further out from the steering axis than the roll. Personally if I need more volume than a bar roll, I'd rather have traditional front low riders for that reason.

No easy answers I'm afraid.

Last edited by fourfa; 06-15-20 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-19-20, 01:23 PM
al_x
Longtime reader...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks all for your insights.

and, hot dogs AND swing sets obviously. ideally mid swing apex dismount. on ground Heimlich maneuver stand-by not included.